2080ti + 9700k being out-performed by 1070 + 8700?

Ununhexium116

I'm on my college's Overwatch team, and the computers we have in the varsity room have some peculiar behavior. Long story short, the computer I use has a 1070 and 8700 and consistently runs the GPU as hard as it will go. 300 FPS or whatever the card can do. However, the other computers have 2080tis and 9700ks and consistently run at 250-160 fps without running the card at anything more than 70% at any time. Anyone else have this experience? Having played on both before I will say that there is a slight but nonetheless visible difference between the 200fps and 300fps even though we're on 1080p 144hz monitors. I've tried looking up the problem and someone suggested turning on spatial sound but it didn't help. I've exhausted my troubleshooting steps, anyone else have any ideas or have any fixes? Below I'll list the full specs if that helps.

Computer I use:

CPU: 8700

RAM: 16GB 2666 (2x8GB)

GPU: 1070

Nvidia Driver: 388.73

(Computer is an Acer pre-built: Predator PO3-600)

Other computers in the lounge:

CPU: 9700k

RAM: 16GB 2666 (1x16GB)

GPU: 2080ti

Nvidia Driver: 442.19

(Computer is an MSI pre-built: Infinite X 9SF-271US)

Feel free to ask more questions.

27 minutes ago, Ununhexium116 said:

RAM: 16GB 2666 (1x16GB)

Try go dual channel and higher memory speed.

27 minutes ago, Ununhexium116 said:

Nvidia Driver: 388.73

Also that driver is old, are you using pre-spectre patch system? What is your window version?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

10 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Try go dual channel and higher memory speed.

Could try dual channel, hadn't thought of that but it makes sense.

10 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Also that driver is old, are you using pre-spectre patch software? What is your window version?

Running Windows 10 1903 (build 18362.657), I could try updating the drivers but If that is the cause I'm not sure it would be worth it. I don't use an Nvidia card in my desktop so I'm not sure if there is a way to rollback.

8 minutes ago, Ununhexium116 said:

Running Windows 10 1903 (build 18362.657), I could try updating the drivers but If that is the cause I'm not sure it would be worth it. I don't use an Nvidia card in my desktop so I'm not sure if there is a way to rollback.

Oh.. no i meant if your Acer desktop use old window version and gpu driver before all these recent security patches, that could explain the extra performance. I guess not. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

27 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Oh.. no i meant if your Acer desktop use old window version and gpu driver before all these recent security patches, that could explain the extra performance. I guess not. 

I believe the windows install has the patches, I also believe the Nvidia driver is up to date enough to have the spectre patches.

Are cpu settings relatively similar between the two systems,  such as hyperthreading? Does the system with i9-9700k have gsync and or gsync turned on? What's the cpu usage while gaming?

49 minutes ago, Ununhexium116 said:

I believe the windows install has the patches, I also believe the Nvidia driver is up to date enough to have the spectre patches.

IINM, pre-390/400 don't have any security patches yet.

You can try take a stick from Acer desktop and put it into your MSI desktop and see if performance improve for Overwatch, if yes you can buy a new stick or a better ram kit. 

Well I'd Run GPU-Z and open the sensors tab. This will tell you the performance cap reason.

vRel = Reliability. Indicating performance is limited by voltage reliability.
VOp = Operating. Indicating performance is limited by max operating voltage(Hardware Limit).
Pwr = Power. Indicating performance is limited by total power limit.
Thrm = Thermal. Indicating performance is limited by temperature limit.
Util = Utilization. Indicating performance is limited by GPU utilization.

10 hours ago, ichibaka said:

Are cpu settings relatively similar between the two systems,  such as hyperthreading? Does the system with i9-9700k have gsync and or gsync turned on? What's the cpu usage while gaming?

9700k does not have hyperthreading, however it does have 2 more threads and a slightly higher boost. CPU usage while gaming remains below 50% on both systems. All V-Syync options are turned off and the monitors do not support G-Sync so I do not believe that matters.

10 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

IINM, pre-390/400 don't have any security patches yet.

You can try take a stick from Acer desktop and put it into your MSI desktop and see if performance improve for Overwatch, if yes you can buy a new stick or a better ram kit. 

I'll see if updating the driver changes anything.

I'll also try dual channel and see if that helps at all, I'll report back once I do.

In my case, dual channel actually made a huge difference when I had a 7700K. My framerate in GTA V was so much lower on single channel that I was dropping below 60fps constantly, but it only dipped to high 70s in dual channel.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

4 hours ago, Steo said:

In my case, dual channel actually made a huge difference when I had a 7700K. My framerate in GTA V was so much lower on single channel that I was dropping below 60fps constantly, but it only dipped to high 70s in dual channel.

I'll try swapping DIMMs, maybe that'll add some performance.

Quick update: GPU-Z and HWInfo are reporting a voltage limit, but it's only at .831V. Is this reasonable? I apologize for my ignorance but I barely use Nvidia hardware.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:28 PM, Ununhexium116 said:

Quick update: GPU-Z and HWInfo are reporting a voltage limit, but it's only at .831V. Is this reasonable? I apologize for my ignorance but I barely use Nvidia hardware.

The cards do have a power limit in their BIOS which software can't override, though this sounds a little low, considering that NVIDIA limit them to 1.093v. Is the voltage still only showing 0.831v even when the GPU is under load?

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

My bet's on the single channel RAM being the issue. It's kind of obvious tbh. I don't understand how the manufacturer's even ship the computers with just one stick. It's completely stupid.

I agree on the single channel thing, dual channel memory really does make a world of difference. In my case, I gained 20-30fps in GTA V. Dual channel makes such a difference that 2 x 4GB would still out perform 1 x 16GB in games, despite it only having half the amount of memory.