Cases that DON'T have 3.0 capabilities!

TekkyTG

Hey everyone, I've been itching to build a new computer or replace some computer parts or SOMETHING lately. I just don't have a use for a new computer at the moment, and my computer does not need upgrades. The only thing I can think of doing is fixing up an older computer of mine. Before I built my 1,500$ setup, I had an old HP Z400 Workstation with 12gigs of DDR3 ram running at 1333mhz, an intel zeon 3570 (originally came with a 3520, but it cost me nine bucks to get the MUCH better cpu refurbished), threw a 500 gig SSD and a 1050 TI (4gb from MSI) in it, and it was a pretty darn good system. This was back when the 1050 Ti was 200 bucks brand new and the 1080 Ti was top dog by a LONG shot. It handled a lot, including Fortnite at 144FPS, and most other games with absolute ease. The issue was that I like absolute advantages, so I upgraded heavily, and when I did, I let my friend borrow the computer indefinetely because his computer, while upgraded to DDR4 ram, was much worse than mine. It had a GT 730 in it. Here's where the issue starts: when I upgraded the CPU in the computer to the 1370, I was worried about temps, so I got a Hyper 212 EVO. It does the job, keeps the computer very cool, but the cooler is so oversized that it actually sticks out of the side of the case. I'd like to get a new case for the computer, but the issue with that is I can't find many good looking "gaming" cases that don't have USB 3.0. I know I can just install it in a 3.0 case and just leave the cable out, but it seems like a huge waste to me, especially since the newer cases just don't fit the older computers quite as well.

If there's any good way to find some nice cases that don't have usb 3.0, let me know please. I'd like it to have a clear panel on the side, whether tempered glass or just plain glass, because I want to be able to show off the RGB on the 1050 Ti, lol. Please let me know! Thanks :D

Why don’t you want usb 3.0?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

26 minutes ago, TechPrince said:

I'd like to get a new case for the computer, but the issue with that is I can't find many good looking "gaming" cases that don't have USB 3.0. I know I can just install it in a 3.0 case and just leave the cable out, but it seems like a huge waste to me

You won't find many cases if at all that don't have usb 3.0 ports, especially one with a glass side panel. Just get any case you like and use a pcie card or a cheap cable like the picture. The ports will just work as if they are 2.0 ports with that cable or at 3.0 speeds if you decide to get a pcie adapter.

Spoiler

usb.jpg.e29ac8da2ffda0aaf3668f7277aace86.jpg

I run this card on my GA-X58A-UD5, it doesn't support booting from it but the speeds are plenty to saturate external drives and it works great with my Corsair 450D.

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Controller-Internal-Connector/dp/B00JFR2H64/

I'd also highly suggest tossing a Westmere hexcore into your system, you'll get 2 more cores and 4 more threads. The 32nm Westmeres are quite a bit more power efficient too, I'm not sure how they compare directly to a Nehalem stock vs stock but I know my X5660 in my home server with a $15 212 LED idles at or below ambient. I've never seen that thing get warmer than 40c even when something locks up.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52577/intel-xeon-processor-x5675-12m-cache-3-06-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

I'd suggest a X5675 or W3670 at least though to prevent any reductions at all in single threaded performance.

38 minutes ago, TechPrince said:

If there's any good way to find some nice cases that don't have usb 3.0, let me know please. I'd like it to have a clear panel on the side, whether tempered glass or just plain glass, because I want to be able to show off the RGB on the 1050 Ti, lol. Please let me know! Thanks :D

This seems silly, but if you just want USB 2.0 support, don't connect the USB 3.0 pins. You can still use USB-3.x ports that aren't USB-C as USB 2.0

https://www.amazon.com/CNCT-19-Pin-USB3-0-USB2-0-Adapter/dp/B00V3F44JO

1 hour ago, comander said:

the LGA 1366 platform doesn't have native USB 3.0 support. 

With that said, it has a BOATLOAD of PCIe lanes... 
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Controller-Internal-Connector/dp/B00JFR2H64/

I haven't really done any research but this looks like it'd provide USB 3.0 out for front panel headers. YMMV wrt quality. 

-----

Another "cheap" upgrade worth considering (6 core vs the 4 core part he has) - https://www.ebay.com/p/22033610607?iid=143333281709&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=143333281709&targetid=873217592811&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9031923&poi=&campaignid=9338046716&mkgroupid=94993973219&rlsatarget=aud-762207186714:pla-873217592811&abcId=1139336&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqNPyBRCjARIsAKA-WFxsrvmwhNhn8ebE_YCqEH2gf2V4gAekfhZ5laFVbWFKpy57yVVzZ9YaAoU5EALw_wcB

works best when overclocked. The 32nm variants clock about 10-20% better than the older, slower 45nm variants like the one OP has (they also suck less power for the same level of performance)

If you can't OC, the 5675 has the same max turbo as the current part and is $23ish on ebay right now. 

for those going OMFG 6 cores for $9... remember that these have around 30% lower IPC than skylake parts. 

Yeah, only issue is that the 3570 runs at 3.7ghz on my machine, so the x5650, even overclocked is kind of useless in comparison (for an extra 2 cores, when it comes to gaming on an intel cpu at least)

thanks for the info tho!

1 hour ago, MkaiL said:

You won't find many cases if at all that don't have usb 3.0 ports, especially one with a glass side panel. Just get any case you like and use a pcie card or a cheap cable like the picture. The ports will just work as if they are 2.0 ports with that cable or at 3.0 speeds if you decide to get a pcie adapter.

Hide contents

usb.jpg.e29ac8da2ffda0aaf3668f7277aace86.jpg

I didn't know that even existed! I'll be checking that out!

55 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

I run this card on my GA-X58A-UD5, it doesn't support booting from it but the speeds are plenty to saturate external drives and it works great with my Corsair 450D.

I'd also highly suggest tossing a Westmere hexcore into your system, you'll get 2 more cores and 4 more threads. The 32nm Westmeres are quite a bit more power efficient too, I'm not sure how they compare directly to a Nehalem stock vs stock but I know my X5660 in my home server with a $15 212 LED idles at or below ambient. I've never seen that thing get warmer than 40c even when something locks up.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52577/intel-xeon-processor-x5675-12m-cache-3-06-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

I'd suggest a X5675 or W3670 at least though to prevent any reductions at all in single threaded performance.

Love that pci express card. Definitely opens up my choices a whole lot.

I'll look into that CPU too, I thought I had found all of the compatible CPU's for my mobo. I'm kind of worried about upgrading the system though, because the motherboard is rather old. The usb ports fail on it sometimes, it makes my mouse go at an insanely high DPI for no apparent reason, or just drop out all together for a few seconds. (mouse loses power and gains it back)

It's possible that adding the 3.0 ports could make resolve that issue (as long as the main peripherals i.e. mouse and keyboard are plugged into it)

Lot of good info, thanks guys!

1 minute ago, comander said:

The 5650 can do 4.6-4.8GHz. 

It's literally the same chip as the 990x, which used to cost $1000. 

Also, depending on the use case, MOAR COARS actually helps a fair bit. It isn't 2008 anymore. 

I didn't see that in the specs of the cpu. Probably just wasn't looking closely enough though lol

I'm assuming that's with OC, and unfortunately my motherboard is still in the dark ages as far as the BIOS goes. OC is out of the question. I might look into a new motherboard for it, though.

Yeah, my friend has a system with an i5 in it. Can't remember which i5, but I know it gets 2.6ghz and I think it has 4 cores. The motherboard had gone bad and we got him a newer one that has an m.2 slot in it, and his GPU is really terrible (GT 730) and the power supply doesn't have cables to support anything better than that. It doesn't have an SSD. It does have more of a modern case with plenty of room for upgrades, however. It's got a single 8gig stick of ram running at 2400mhz, the mobo has 2 slots. The power supply from the HP Z400 is old ketchup and mustard cables that can't reach if it's installed properly.

At this point, I could combine the two computers to make something maybe a little bit better, but I think I'd be better off to sell the older one as is and then build something for my friend that was using it. I don't mind spending some money on him, I'm just itching to do something lol. Besides, it can really only help me. We play Rainbow Six Siege competitively, and although he gets pretty good frames, his 165hz monitor isn't helping much. He keeps his graphics settings high because it allows him to see players and peepholes better, which means he doesn't get nearly enough frames to compensate for the money he spent on the monitor lol.