I Need to Answer your Questions about 5G mmW...

CPotter

5g is 5g unless it is AT&T 5GE which is 4gLTE

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Why two different phones? The comparisons aren't quite apples-to-apples if the devices aren't equal and that quite bothers me.

Also, why should I care about 5G? The video still doesn't give me a reason to care. IoT-stuff, autonomous vehicles and such may care, but me? What does 5G solve for me that 4G doesn't? Lower latency? Mmmno, most of the stuff I do isn't dependent on low latencies and the stuff that is, the latency doesn't come from the connection between my phone and the cell-tower. Faster speeds? Mmmno, I don't live anywhere near any mmWave cell-towers.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

"It's basically better so you're basically willing to pay more for basically no gain."

How about putting those gov't subsidies to work like they were supposed to from the start? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Mh, I have no questions about 5g and none of my questions were answered. Perfect.

There has been nothing so far that makes me excited about 5g. Sure it is probably faster, but it is just so limited in its use if you are not a heavy mobile user. At least it seems that way.

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

"It's better so you're willing to pay more for basically no gain."

Funnily enough, that's almost exactly what I was just recently told when an employee for my telco tried to get me to buy a new, flagship Samsung-phone. The conversation was basically:

me) My current phone is perfectly fine for my needs, why would I want a stupidly expensive phone that I don't need?

them) Because it's better!

me) But how is it better?

them) Because it's new!

me) But how, exactly, is it better for me?

them) Because it's faster!

2141708573_Doublefacepalm.jpg.d5ca67daf0c86f91bcaa25fc83e39fba.jpg

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Am I the only one disappointed at this video for putting aside journalistic integrity? Sponsored or not sponsored, at least name the competition, device specs, and so on. 

There is no spoon.

5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Funnily enough, that's almost exactly what I was just recently told when an employee for my telco

How fluent was the English?

5 hours ago, _Sir said:

Am I the only one disappointed at this video for putting aside journalistic integrity? Sponsored or not sponsored, at least name the competition, device specs, and so on. 

they couldn't even name the event. it was Verizon

I think the verizon is an LGv50 thinQ 5g

Note 10+ 5g for Tmobile

both are 855s.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, greenmax said:

How fluent was the English?

Ah, I see what you're thinking, but no: I live in Finland and they were a native Finn themselves as well.

Grammar fixed by VegetableStu

Ok so I see a lot of people looking at 5G wrong

5G is going to help more with low end speed from poor coverage. if you live in a city you’ve certainly noticed buildings reduce your speed drastically, or if you live in rural or country areas distance on LTE.

I have had reliable LTE connections from 3mbs all the up to well over 100mbs depending on my location. While the high and doesn’t much matter the low end is where you will notice the increase in speed for the same coverage area all other factors being equal frequency and number of bands 5G comes out to be about 6x faster so that 3mbs connection now becomes 18mbs which is a noticeable difference.

Now let me tell you how I’ve gotten to these numbers:

when QUALCOMM held their summit in Hawaii, a reporter from engage tested the Samsung galaxy S10 lte on T-Mobile vs the one plus McLaren 5G, and got about the same to slightly better performance on the 5G device, with some rare cases of the performance being lower.

the specs of the two devices are fairly easy to find, but I will list the important radio ones here the Samsung had a 4x4 mimo running LTE advanced.

I did not catch the exact band but it was between 1800MHz and 2100MHz. The T-Mobile 5G was obviously running on 600MHz

the important fact to remember is that it was 2x2 mimo in 5G Mode. Know if you divide the LTE speed by two for the mimo.

Yes I know scaling is not perfect then you divide the speed by three for the frequency Again I know scaling is not perfect

You end up with a 6X performance, which is further backed up by the sprint mid band 2500MHz 5G testing results, and this doesn’t factor in any of the latency reductions we should see in the future as it matures.

If anyone can find any flaws in my logic please leave a comment.

Edited by jayred365

Ok so I see a lot of people looking at 5G wrong

5G is going to help more with low end speed from poor coverage. if you live in a city you’ve certainly noticed buildings reduce your speed drastically, or if you live in rural or country areas distance on LTE.

I have had reliable LTE connections from 3mbs all the up to well over 100mbs depending on my location. While the high and doesn’t much matter the low end is where you will notice the increase in speed for the same coverage area all other factors being equal frequency and number of bands 5G comes out to be about 6x faster so that 3mbs connection now becomes 18mbs which is a noticeable difference.

Now let me tell you how I’ve gotten to these numbers:

when QUALCOMM held their summit in Hawaii, a reporter from engage tested the Samsung galaxy S10 lte on T-Mobile vs the one plus McLaren 5G, and got about the same to slightly better performance on the 5G device, with some rare cases of the performance being lower.

the specs of the two devices are fairly easy to find, but I will list the important radio ones here the Samsung had a 4x4 mimo running LTE advanced.

I did not catch the exact band but it was between 1800MHz and 2100MHz. The T-Mobile 5G was obviously running on 600MHz

the important fact to remember is that it was 2x2 mimo in 5G Mode. Now if you divide the LTE speed by two for the mimo.

Yes I know scaling is not perfect then you divide the speed by three for the frequency Again I know scaling is not perfect

You end up with 6X performance in The same Spectrum space, which is further backed up by the sprint mid band 2500MHz 5G testing results, and this doesn’t factor in any of the latency reductions we should see in the future as it matures.

If anyone can find any flaws in my logic please leave a comment

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

sorry, you know why i'm doing this. carry on from here

Thanks

12 hours ago, jayred365 said:

Yes and no. In dense urban environments, 5G networks operating in the mmWave range (5G NR Frequency Range 2) will help when you have densely packed users because of the much larger bandwidth, which is what bottlenecks 4G networks in this situation.
Lower frequency 5G offers lower bandwidth but much smaller pathloss, which means it is easier to cover large areas with it, preferably with lower user densities (rural and suburban environments for example).

Linus' spped testting is not saying much in terms of real world performance because we don't know how the 5G network load was at that time in that area. I wouldn't be surprised if it was quite low due to not many users having 5G compatible devices yet. Getting good speeds is not that difficult if you don't have to share the medium with too many other users.

How exactly is "5G (low band)" different from 4G LTE? That sounds like the same advertising BS that some telecoms did to rebrand 3.5G HSPA+ as "4G".

3 minutes ago, DopplerEffect said:

How exactly is "5G (low band)" different from 4G LTE? That sounds like the same advertising BS that some telecoms did to rebrand 3.5G HSPA+ as "4G".

G is for generation or Standard not for frequency.

Each Provider is doing their own thing this time around. T-Mobile purchased the (Low Band) or UHF bands that where populated by most TV broadcasts when TV moved to higher bands for Digital broadcasting, due to their penetration ability at a lower bandwidth. After Tmobile won the bid for the UHF bands  AT&T and Verizon were forced to work with Higher band mmW to poduce their services. Because of this T-Mobile currently has a far larger broad cast area than either of the other two. Now T-Mobile is still working on implementing mmW as well but only in specific areas. All 3 did place bid on the UHF Band.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

G is for generation or Standard not for frequency.

Each Provider is doing their own thing this time around. T-Mobile purchased the (Low Band) or UHF bands that where populated by most TV broadcasts when TV moved to higher bands for Digital broadcasting, due to their penetration ability at a lower bandwidth. After Tmobile won the bid for the UHF bands  AT&T and Verizon were forced to work with Higher band mmW to poduce their services. Because of this T-Mobile currently has a far larger broad cast area than either of the other two. Now T-Mobile is still working on implementing mmW as well but only in specific areas. All 3 did place bid on the UHF Band.

I miss the old days when TV was free. All I had to do is watch a few commercials and make tin foil antennas. The good old days.

This was the basis of my decision to cancel cable television. 

Now.... Pay for it all. (commercials too...)

Gonna enjoy my car stereo as long as that remains free :D

Why is Linus not allowed to say what event he's at?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:29 AM, SansVarnic said:

T-Mobile purchased the (Low Band) or UHF bands

Which Freq should that be? Here the lowest are 700mhz Band who is comming soon.

On 2/29/2020 at 3:41 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

I miss the old days when TV was free.

Beside of the Mandatory TV Tax...

And who does autonomous vehicles should need Internet at all thats why the called autonomous vehicles?!

From AT. :x

On 2/29/2020 at 10:39 PM, Computernaut said:

Why is Linus not allowed to say what event he's at?

The name is trademarked

They cannot say “the Super Bowl” unless they pay for that privilege, because it is a registered NFL trademark and has been since 1969. The league also owns the term “Super Sunday,” all the team names, logos, and uniform designs, and the Super Bowl shield graphic.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/