Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
birdflyer

Do I have to have the same MHz Memory when upgrading?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Greetings

I currently have 16gb (2 X 8gb) of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz Memory. Do I have to get the same size of sticks when upgrading? (Instead of matching the current memory, get something like 2 sticks of 16Gb) Do I have to get the same MHz rating? or can I get faster memory?

1 minute ago, birdflyer said:

Greetings

I currently have 16gb (2 X 8gb) of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz Memory. Do I have to get the same size of sticks when upgrading? (Instead of matching the current memory, get something like 2 sticks of 16Gb) Do I have to get the same MHz rating? or can I get faster memory?

It will run at the slowest memory speed if you get faster RAM, so not really much use in getting faster memory.

But not real harm either.

I would always suggest getting memory from some place with a decent return policy, in the very small chance it doesn't work.

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

You should get more 3000Mhz memory, any lower will force your current memory to run at lower speeds and vice versa. Don't buy faster memory, as your current kit will make a new kit run slower 

Main Rig: Custom Built: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G @ 3.6Ghz, 2x8GB Kingston Valueram @ 2666Mhz, Radeon Vega 8, Gigabyte A320M-S2H, Kingston 120Gb M.2 SSD,WD Blue 2.5 Inch 1tb HDD,Cooler Master MWE450, Aerocool CS-100

Laptop: HP ProBook X360 G1 EE: Pentium N4200 @ 1.1Ghz, 4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz 128Gb SSD
NAS Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010: Dual core Celeron G1610 @ 2.6Ghz 4GB DDR3 Ram, 500GB Single HDD

Mothballed Optiplex: Dual core Celeron G1810, 4Gb Ram, 250Gb HDD

1 minute ago, minibois said:

It will run at the slowest memory speed if you get faster RAM, so not really much use in getting faster memory.

But not real harm either.

I would always suggest getting memory from some place with a decent return policy, in the very small chance it doesn't work.

Ok, probably will get some from Amazon. What about RAM size, does that matter?

1 minute ago, birdflyer said:

Ok, probably will get some from Amazon. What about RAM size, does that matter?

I would always get the same capacity.

Get a set as similar as possible to what you have now. 

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

1 minute ago, minibois said:

I would always get the same capacity.

Get a set as similar as possible to what you have now. 

Ok, Will do. Thanks ?