Whats been your WORST computer related purchase?

quickhakker

I thought getting cheap Chinese RGB fans would be a good idea... Trust me. It's not. Now I'm stuck with a 5 pack of these fans that have different connectors than normal fans, so I'm either forced to use the supplied controller (which kinda sucks), or put different connectors on it. Which isn't even worth it for those things, since they are pretty damn loud anyway. I got some 120mm Aigo fans in case anyone is wondering. 

I also got a Banana Pi some day to build a cheapass NAS, but that went horrible and I would suggest anyone to skip single board computers like the Raspberry Pi or the Banana pi or whatever for these purposes. Their main problem is that they run off of (Micro) SD cards, which aren't exactly reliable. Which ís something you want in a NAS. 

15 hours ago, weaselciuy said:

Roomba vacuum, young cat dropped one on the carpet & Roomba dragged it all over the house, creating a 1 mile long trail...

fun

I'd love a Roomba (other brands are available) but stories like this make me uneasy!

58 minutes ago, RichardR said:

I'd love a Roomba (other brands are available) but stories like this make me uneasy!

makes you feel a little shit 

Z270 and 7700k platform. Don't get me wrong it still gets use from the kids, but it literally served very little use. It was originally going to be my gaming machine, but then the 8700k came out a year later and make the purchase just feel like a waste.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Z270 and 7700k platform. Don't get me wrong it still gets use from the kids, but it literally served very little use. It was originally going to be my gaming machine, but then the 8700k came out a year later and make the purchase just feel like a waste.

no offence but i find people like you so annoying when it comes to computer parts, needing the newest things, thats actually one reason why im doing what i am doing with an old dell vostro tower. (check my profile plus ill put a builds.gg link there too later)

1 minute ago, quickhakker said:

no offence but i find people like you so annoying when it comes to computer parts, needing the newest things, thats actually one reason why im doing what i am doing with an old dell vostro tower. (check my profile plus ill put a builds.gg link there too later)

I think you have to pick your point to get on, not chase whats new. Buy your parts so that they will do what you want them to do with as much headroom as you're prepared to pay for and then stick with it till it wont do what you want anymore.

But for some enthusiasts, its a hobby and they like to have the newest kit. I don't think we should judge that too harshly, we all have our vices...

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

1 minute ago, ObsidianAura said:

I think you have to pick your point to get on, not chase whats new. Buy your parts so that they will do what you want them to do with as much headroom as you're prepared to pay for and then stick with it till it wont do what you want anymore.

But for some enthusiasts, its a hobby and they like to have the newest kit. I don't think we should judge that too harshly, we all have our vices...

what really gets my goat up is when you see the enthusiasts with the highest end specs complain about getting fps drops of up to 10 which at the frame rates there at it seems as though the only way you could tell is if you had an FPS counter up 

15 minutes ago, quickhakker said:

what really gets my goat up is when you see the enthusiasts with the highest end specs complain about getting fps drops of up to 10 which at the frame rates there at it seems as though the only way you could tell is if you had an FPS counter up 

Except my point wasn't about saying I needed the newest or best. It was about buying a quad core cpu that intel kept pushing only to have them release 6 cores very shortly after and leave us with a motherboard that could push the 8700k, but they made sure to kill off that possiblity.

Now as for people who think they need to upgrade... how does what I do when it comes to upgrading effect you? Do you know the story of why I do it? In my particular circumstance me upgrading gives my entire household an upgrade. So the wifes computer is normally 1-3 years behind mine and the teenagers is 2-4 (on cpu platform... he is normally rocking a good gpu). Then I have another 2-3 machines for nephews who are frequently over.

On top of all this why would it matter what me or anyone else does. My purchases don't effect you. So if it is a jealousy thing I am sorry, but life isn't fair.

So while you find people like me annoying, I find people like you immature and think you need to grow up.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Except my point wasn't about saying I needed the newest or best. It was about buying a quad core cpu that intel kept pushing only to have them release 6 cores very shortly after and leave us with a motherboard that could push the 8700k, but they made sure to kill off that possiblity.

Now as for people who think they need to upgrade... how does what I do when it comes to upgrading effect you? Do you know the story of why I do it? In my particular circumstance me upgrading gives my entire household an upgrade. So the wifes computer is normally 1-3 years behind mine and the teenagers is 2-4 (on cpu platform... he is normally rocking a good gpu). Then I have another 2-3 machines for nephews who are frequently over.

On top of all this why would it matter what me or anyone else does. My purchases don't effect you. So if it is a jealousy thing I am sorry, but life isn't fair.

So while you find people like me annoying, I find people like you immature and think you need to grow up.

the fact you went from 1 gen to the next gen the moment it dropped shows off a case of i need the newest thing, which that attitude comes hand in hand with the cry baby bitches who flip when they lose up to 10 fps when there in the 200, if it was almost half there frames going then they can complain but seriously, 10 frames? 

Ah, this is an easy one. I bought 5, 4 lane USB hubs from amazon warehouse a year ago, and I have absolutely no use for them.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, easily, by a fucking mile.

• Worst, clumsiest, and most braindead mounting system.
  • Subpar cooling performance
  • Cheap-ass, bottom-of-the-barrel construction
  • Was later replaced by two other 120mm-sized CPU coolers that performed in the neighborhood of 20-40% better, as well as visually looked miles more pleasing to the eye

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

^ Really liked the Hyper 212 EVO. Finnicky mounting, for sure.

My worst purchase has to be when I bought a GeForce 2 MX400 to upgrade from a Voodoo 3. It performed roughly the same in just about every game I had at the time (e.g. Empire Earth, Soul Reaver, Quake 3). Very naive purchase decision, but we all start somewhere. 

Icue from corsair and razer synapse. Both are a piece of shit software synapse especially. The hardware is fine though. Probably gonna swap all my peripherals to logitech expect for headphones since I want an actual pair of headphones.

Iomega Zip Drive Even your Sony WH-1000XM3 Headset with Air Pro Noise Cancellation Couldn’t stop the sound of *Click*Click*Click* Date Dying 

Bought a set of Logitech z313 speakers and subwoofer, which was an impulse buy...disappointing from the day I first hooked them up. I should have returned them but was too lazy. Now they emit this obnoxious crackling/static noise whenever I have them turned on and no sound is running through them.

22 hours ago, Retrodex Gaming said:

You can get the mixed copper block and fan for those though to drop the noise level (Worked for me!) or half depth poweredge, (relatively quiet!)

Mine was a Linksys NSS4000 NAS. Absolute POS thats soon to be relegated to a backup file server. Slow read/write speeds, claims gigabit networking, never reaches it, SNMP doesn't work. UPS port is spotty at best, can't access the Linux terminal through SSH. Shoddy shoddy & expensive purchase.

Building my own file server on Server 2016 now to compensate and have useable fast storage!

Yeah this was an oversight on my part my 2U R710 is tolerable but the R410 is a jet engine

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

G633 from Logitech. Weird and clunky pair of headsets and the 3.5mm jack for use with a cell phone is just a gimmick, contrary to what I thought when I first saw it. Add to it the fact that I have a cat that likes stuff when stuff is on the ground...and the G633 became the spare headset for a rainy day. What I almost forgot to mention is that the mini USB connection to the headset is also quite weak, and now the left side of the headset doesn't work half the time...I need headset recomendations :(

My LC-Power ITX Case with a power supply. The PSU fried most of the components after about a year and the case itself is verybad when it comes to even basic things like the placements of the mainboard screws/standoffs.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11

4 hours ago, quickhakker said:

the fact you went from 1 gen to the next gen the moment it dropped shows off a case of i need the newest thing, which that attitude comes hand in hand with the cry baby bitches who flip when they lose up to 10 fps when there in the 200, if it was almost half there frames going then they can complain but seriously, 10 frames? 

Soo moving from a 4 core cpu to a 6 more cpu (50% increase) makes me a "cry baby bitch?"

Honestly, the only person "crying" seems to be you and over something that literally has no impact on you.

*edit* also you would never see me complain about getting a few less frames because of XYZ. If I was unsatisfied with something I would just purchase something I was happy with. Even then I have been sitting on my current rig for longer than usual waiting on the ryzen 4000 stuff at this point (was the 3000 series).

So just a little advice... don't make assumptions. 

Celeron 667 - I bought it to overclock but never did really get it working correctly before replacing it. 

OCZ DDR1 kit - waste of $

OCZ 2000mhz "SLI" 4gb mem kit which was made for a 790I chipset but the 790I chipset/FSB couldn't run memory speeds that high without crashing. 

ADATA -Msata Drives at work we had basically 100% fail rates even the RMA's failed within a year on all builds. 

ADATA SATA Drives in my own use - 3 dead - 1 RMA that sometimes required a reboot to recognize again after falling over. (never buying adata again no matter what anyone tells me or what improvements they make". 

Lots of Razer stuff they just break sometimes non moving parts such as sensors or the switches just failed. had a Black Widow ultimate that just started not working or holding keys down that i didn't even press. 

probably lots of other things i've forgotten ive purchased many 1st type products over the years lol. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

22 hours ago, weaselciuy said:

Roomba vacuum, young cat dropped one on the carpet & Roomba dragged it all over the house, creating a 1 mile long trail...

fun

Shit, does this mean I shouldn't buy one for my dead bodies room?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 hours ago, RichardR said:

almost forgot about my robot vac - its not a roomba its a lesser brand , when i bought it i just thought they would all be smart . 

i bought a Deebot ecovacs one and it is the worst . sometimes and i mean not often it makes it back to the charging station. 

It doesn't know where the station is however so what it does is .. when bat gets low it stops vacuum and then drives around until its IR sensor finds the charge station and then that's how it lines up. 

However most or many times it doesn't find it so it just runs out of battery power somewhere like a hall or bathroom. 

That's if it didn't get stuck on something in some almost impossible way or close a bathroom door on itself somehow.

I regret not getting a better one that maps the rooms etc.  

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

a aperiva psu......

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

the windows cd that came with my motherboard. I wanted to go linux from the begenning, so overpaid for a windows ill never use.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

On 2/25/2020 at 4:46 AM, quickhakker said:

This can be anything from an RGB ssd to a case and all the silly little peripherals inbetween (controllers, adapters, docks all count)

Graphics tablet (digitizer)

I've bought them 3 times, and each time they only got some use before something rendered it a problem. I would not recommend buying a graphics tablet unless your use case is VERY SPECIFIC about it. Most of the stuff that I could do with the tablet I could just as easily do by hand or with the mouse, and the tablet only comes in handy for digital painting.

External drives:

Nearly all of them have died. All but the Mybooks. All I'm gonna say is that the power bricks keep dying on these, get bus-powered drives if possible.

External drives (II):

2.5" bus powered drives also suck by being slow, but more to the point, they have really flimsy usb connectors and will break if you even breathe on them.

Between the two problems I'd recommend avoiding USB drives if you can put the drive inside the PC. Use large (>64GB) flash drives or thunderbolt ssd's instead if you need faster more reliable external storage.

4K monitor:

Ok this is really a nitpick but I bought a 4K 24" monitor and didn't immediately regret it. I'm only regretting it now because the ASUS MG24UQ is starting do so some weird things and had I waited a bit longer I might have bought one with rec.2020 color,, but I digress, I'm only annoyed that I spent money on it and the LED power LED started flickering and failing like a week after the warranty expired, and it's twice blanked out like there was a power issue, so I'm fully expecting it to just up and die one day.

Aside from the above, nearly everying in my C2D DDR2 machine got replaced once due to a bad PSU making every part unreliable. I'm still using the "new" PSU from that build in the current machine, but everything else but the BD-ROM has been replaced.