GTX 1070 flickering and overheating

I need help. I recently bought a GTX 1070 but have only had problems since. It started with my screen flashing black for about 1 or 2 seconds at a time. I went into the Nvidia control panel and adjusted the power management setting to prefer maximum performance and the flickering went away but now I am faced with another problem. The GPU seems to run extremely hot with maximum performance mode enabled, it sits at around 70 Degrees Celcius at idle! What can I do to prevent screen flickering but also prevent my GPU from becoming my new furnace?

I have the MSI GTX 1070 FE (Samsung ram) , MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk motherboard, Intel Core i3 8100, Crucial 8gb ram at 2400, Cooler master MWE 550W power supply, Sandisk 240Gb SSD.

Does the GPU sit at 70C at idle when the power management is set to adaptive or power saving?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

23 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Does the GPU sit at 70C at idle when the power management is set to adaptive or power saving?

No it doesn't, when set to Adaptive/Optimal power the card idles at 38C but the screen flickers while on these settings. 

1 hour ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Let me geuss u bought it used ? U should clean it first if that does not help u have to repaste it 

I have cleaned it and applied new thermal paste, I used thermal grizzly kryonaut. The idle temp is 38C when the card is not set at prefer maximum performance however, if it not at that setting, the screen flickers.

4 minutes ago, EHoff749 said:

No it doesn't, when set to Adaptive/Optimal power the card idles at 38C but the screen flickers while on these settings. 

Most likely the reason why it ildes at 70C is because of the maximum performance profile forces the GPU to run at base clock all the time. Hence it draws more power and outputs more heat. Try and make sure that mounting pressure is adequate and see if the thermalpaste has spread well.

I'm also interested to see what temps are when under a furmark stresstest. Just for reference sake.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Most likely the reason why it ildes at 70C is because of the maximum performance profile forces the GPU to run at base clock all the time. Hence it draws more power and outputs more heat. Try and make sure that mounting pressure is adequate and see if the thermalpaste has spread well.

I'm also interested to see what temps are when under a furmark stresstest. Just for reference sake.

Ok, Furmark temps when max preformance os disabled are : Minimum temp: 39C Max 69C and with max preformance enabled the card throttles with a minimum temp of 61C and max of 86C This was with the 1080p benchmark

Ok, Furmark temps when max preformance os disabled are : Minimum temp: 39C Max 69C and with max preformance enabled the card throttles with a minimum temp of 61C and max of 86C This was with the 1080p benchmark

Interesting.... I've never seen something like this before. When the GPU has maximum performance disabled its fine but when its enabled it begins to throttle with high temps.... 

This is most likely not gonna help, but I don't really have any other ideas:

Try reinstalling GPU drivers by uninstalling them with DDU first and then installing them from Nvidia website. Before you install the drivers please make sure that Nvidia control panel is also deleted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Interesting.... I've never seen something like this before. When the GPU has maximum performance disabled its fine but when its enabled it begins to throttle with high temps.... 

This is most likely not gonna help, but I don't really have any other ideas:

Try reinstalling GPU drivers by uninstalling them with DDU first and then installing them from Nvidia website. Before you install the drivers please make sure that Nvidia control panel is also deleted.

Unfortunately that did not work, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times with DDU but have had no success. Hopefully this is just a driver issue that can be updated. 

48 minutes ago, EHoff749 said:

Unfortunately that did not work, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times with DDU but have had no success. Hopefully this is just a driver issue that can be updated. 

Maybe the gpu just degraded to a point that when it goes in to low power mode the voltage is not enough to keep the gpu alive and thats makes the gpu instable = flickering instable and if u put in in high perf mode the gpu just needs to much voltage to stay stable at higher clocks = higher temps 

29 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Maybe the gpu just degraded to a point that when it goes in to low power mode the voltage is not enough to keep the gpu alive and thats makes the gpu instable = flickering instable and if u put in in high perf mode the gpu just needs to much voltage to stay stable at higher clocks = higher temps 

When running benchmarks/playing games with the card everything seems fine. No crashes, artifacts etc. I'm not sure what causes it to flicker. I suspect this could be a driver issue but am unsure.

When running benchmarks/playing games with the card everything seems fine. No crashes, artifacts etc. I'm not sure what causes it to flicker. I suspect this could be a driver issue but am unsure.

The Moment u game the gpu is not in low Power mode anymore do u get what i mean ? sry my english is not the yellow of the egg :D 

Thank you to everybody that tried to help me, I really appreciate it. It deeply saddens me to tell you guys that I removed the card from my system. I am a university student and I needed a GPU for the course that I am studying. I spent a lot of time saving up but unfortunately the GPU that I bought died on me. I really don't know what I am going to do now but I can't continue with my course anymore since I can't afford a new card. The GPU would constantly crash when I did schoolwork and I got behind. Sorry if I wasted your time.

Is it an evga card? They had issues with VRM cooling that caused a lot of problems and RMAs. They went as far as replacing them for free or sending out a kit to fix it. They also shipped 2 new bios for the card which helped keep vrm temps under control.

I would make sure your thermal pads are making good contact. The ones they sent out were slightly thicker than the original ones and seemed to have fixed the issue.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Is it an evga card? They had issues with VRM cooling that caused a lot of problems and RMAs. They went as far as replacing them for free or sending out a kit to fix it. They also shipped 2 new bios for the card which helped keep vrm temps under control.

I would make sure your thermal pads are making good contact. The ones they sent out were slightly thicker than the original ones and seemed to have fixed the issue.

Unfortunately, no. It is a MSI founders edition card.