New SSD Storage server with 10gb

Bombel

Hello guys i'm new user

Who will tell me on what components to build an efficient storage server?

Supermicro board? 

i have 1 machine with e3 1240 16gb ddr 3 supermicro board X10SLL+-F

Low cost server :D

i want use RAID 10

What speed in raid  i use on this board and cpu???

thans for reply 

because i have speed write data and safety data when 1 sdd is broke

this is low money project

OS is centOS or debian

propably freenas software is good for this project

but interest me how big speed i have on raid 10 or maybe i must install another raid option

1 minute ago, Bombel said:

but interest me how big speed i have on raid 10 or maybe i must install another raid option

Depends on how many SSDs you plan to use, what brand they are and whether they are SATA or NVMe.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

because i have speed write data and safety data when 1 sdd is broke

this is low money project

OS is centOS or debian

propably freenas software is good for this project

You can still easily get over 1gB/s write with raid 5, and raid 5 will work wtih a dead drive aswell

How low of budget? any ssd nas won't be cheap.

So you say centos or debian, and proably freenas, what os? Thats 3

Get a few sata ssds, will easily fill 10gbe. Like 4x sata ssds in raid 5 will easily fill 10gbe.

You are aware that any raid system doens't give you safety in terms of data loss? Raid doesn't replace backups, only safes you from drive failures. So if this is your only data storage, for near absolute safety you would need a offline backup like a couple of external hdds which you sync from time to time.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Depends on how many SSDs you plan to use, what brand they are and whether they are SATA or NVMe.

i have use sata ssd disk, how many = 5 x Samsung 1TB 2,5" SATA SSD 860 EVO or maybye i must buy more?? this in the first projekt for my lab :)  if this server works then it will go to production for the client

i have use sata ssd disk, how many = 5 x Samsung 1TB 2,5" SATA SSD 860 EVO or maybye i must buy more?? this in the first projekt for my lab :)  if this server works then it will go to production for the client

If this is for a client, Id really try to get a premade nas, Going diy just isn't normally worth the hassle.

Id go 2tb drives, and fewer of them, unless your case supports a ton of drives.

What case?

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

You are aware that any raid system doens't give you safety in terms of data loss? Raid doesn't replace backups, only safes you from drive failures. So if this is your only data storage, for near absolute safety you would need a offline backup like a couple of external hdds which you sync from time to time.

yes i know. So other server storage i must have external USB HDD for backup data ? this disk musta have connect to storage server??

i have 3 company who want backup data and i think meybye in my data center i can storage this data. with use vpn connecting Client->My DC

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If this is for a client, Id really try to get a premade nas, Going diy just isn't normally worth the hassle.

Id go 2tb drives, and fewer of them, unless your case supports a ton of drives.

What case?

2 client use big movie file 2TB is first step in my project i want upgrade this server to another ssd.

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can still easily get over 1gB/s write with raid 5, and raid 5 will work wtih a dead drive aswell

How low of budget? any ssd nas won't be cheap.

So you say centos or debian, and proably freenas, what os? Thats 3

Get a few sata ssds, will easily fill 10gbe. Like 4x sata ssds in raid 5 will easily fill 10gbe.

yes free nas is OS i have install this free nas os to main software.

ok first step i buy 4x 1TB ssd on raid 5 and i see what is really speed.

but e3 1240 4 treeth 16gb ddr 3 1600mhz is great?

what raid card i must use?

"RAID10 of SSD" and "low money project" brings me in cognitive dissonance. As already mentioned above RAID5 is the best scenario with flash even in serious production configurations. The issues RAID5 had previously with regular spindles are irrelevant for SSDs making parity RAID a completely valid scenario https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/raid-5-was-great-until-high-capacity-hdds-came-into-play-but-ssds-restored-its-former-glory-2.

If you have a hardware RAID controller use it. Otherwise, FreeNAS + ZFS will do the job but will consume more RAM.

I would also consider running stuff on top of the hypervisor (KVM or ESXi) to make further hardware replacements/upgrades or configuration changes easier. 

43 minutes ago, Net Runner said:

"RAID10 of SSD" and "low money project" brings me in cognitive dissonance. As already mentioned above RAID5 is the best scenario with flash even in serious production configurations. The issues RAID5 had previously with regular spindles are irrelevant for SSDs making parity RAID a completely valid scenario https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/raid-5-was-great-until-high-capacity-hdds-came-into-play-but-ssds-restored-its-former-glory-2.

If you have a hardware RAID controller use it. Otherwise, FreeNAS + ZFS will do the job but will consume more RAM.

I would also consider running stuff on top of the hypervisor (KVM or ESXi) to make further hardware replacements/upgrades or configuration changes easier. 

ok now i know what i mast doing. thanks for reply.

If this is to store backup data and the data will be transferred to this system over VPN connections then SSDs is completely overkill for this. HDDs can seq write data just fine very quickly and are well suited to backups of large data sets and even better if the files themselves are large. You'll get just as good performance out of 3-4 HDDs as you would 1 860 EVO but with a lot more storage capacity.

A 16 bay or 24 bay server with 8 disks per vdev in RAIDZ2 will likely do what you need.

If you actually have some higher performance use case you can create a separate pool with SSDs but I doubt you'll actually need to do that. For what you are doing the only benefit to SSDs is being able to use a smaller case and less storage devices to achieve resiliency and enough performance but at a higher cost per TB.

The big but here is I wouldn't use what you are creating when Backblaze is a much safer, more reliable and affordable option. There is no way you can offer a service cheaper than what they do without being significantly higher risk.

From experience pure SSD storage over a network may not necessarily yield the performance numbers you're hoping for. If you don't have disposable income you're better off with HDDs. You can saturate a 10Gbit link and have more usable storage for less money.

Software wise I like ZFS but I've fallen out of love with FreeNAS because of certain features that I like that it doesn't do. You might like Debian+zfsutils or PROXMOX.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:55 AM, Bombel said:

i have 3 company who want backup data and i think meybye in my data center i can storage this data. with use vpn connecting Client->My DC

Telling you now, you're a single man shop struggling with the basics, abort mission.

Also consider you're bringing an amateur solution into a professional environment.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C