My keyboard doesn't keyboard no more

Matej101

My old keyboard (a 15$ Yenkee Ambush I bought in 2016 because it was the cheapest one that had backlight) recently started acting up - keypresses sometimes fail to register and the non-stabilised keeps getting stuck in the open position. All in all, working on this thing is kind of a pain, so I decided to get a new one.

I am asking for recommendations, since you people seem to know your stuff. 

Requirements:

- Needs to be at least somewhat silent, since I often work at night in a room containing a sleeping child.

- Will be used mostly for writing and CAD, occasionally gaming (RPGs/simulators). Typing comfort and general frustration avoidance is a priority.

- Should be backlit in a colour that isn't blue or red. Can but doesn't have to be RGB.

- Should have a numpad, because my mother tongue uses the upper row of numbers for special characters and I don't want to switch between keyboards all the time

- Media control keys are a plus

- Doesn't have to be mechanical if the feel and build quality are good

- Preferably shouldn't stop working in four years

- Should be around 50$ or less.

I tried some keyboards at the local computer store today, they recommended this: https://genesis-zone.com/product/rx85-rgb

If that is a known bad, please let me know.

Thanks, Matej101

3 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Thanks, I heard about those! Unfortunately shipping from the US takes them up into the 80$ territory. The best price I could find was on German Amazon, but that was with a German layout. It also looks like all the Redragon keyboards I can get in my country have blue switches, which is a no-go.

11 minutes ago, Matej101 said:

Thanks, I heard about those! Unfortunately shipping from the US takes them up into the 80$ territory. The best price I could find was on German Amazon, but that was with a German layout. It also looks like all the Redragon keyboards I can get in my country have blue switches, which is a no-go.

Where are you located? I can look at what is offered in shops that are available in your country if you like. Is Cooler Master CK350 available in your location?

I leave in the Czech Republic. I Found the ck350 on some Czech stores and the price looks quite alright, are there any known problems with it?

Also, what's the difference between a ck350 and a ck530?

11 minutes ago, Matej101 said:

I leave in the Czech Republic. I Found the ck350 on some Czech stores and the price looks quite alright, are there any known problems with it?

No, not really any problems, it's not high end board but it's way better than the one you had before and good value for the money. Build quality is good too.

1 minute ago, Matej101 said:

Size, ck530 does not have a numpad.

Alright, thanks a lot, I'll check out some reviews on the 350. Thread probably over ?

Well why not just go for the microsoft keyboard? They last forever and is decent for the price, way better than any of the other off brands even though they aren't mechanical.

Are they backlit? I work at night and I'm not at touch typist level yet, especially for the special character keys.

6 hours ago, Matej101 said:

Numpad vs. no numpad and Outemo vs. Gateron (which I find fairly similar).

27 minutes ago, Matej101 said:

Are they backlit? I work at night and I'm not at touch typist level yet, especially for the special character keys.

The Coolermaster boards? Yes.

The Microsoft board? Other than the Surface keyboards, I have not come across backlit Microsoft boards.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

In the end, I decided to go with the CK350 and so far so good. Now I just have to learn not to press the keys so hard, on the old keyboard I sometimes had to really SMASH the key in to get it to register. Thanks to everyone that helped me!