Will my 450W PSU be enough for a RX 5700 XT?

Rackso
Go to solution Solved by boggy77,

the evga br is lower quality than the cx. i'd keep your current psu or upgrade to a 550w high quality one.

Hello, people.

So I just recently built the following PC:

Ryzen 7 3700x (stock speeds and cooler)

TUF Gaming B450M Plus

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 DDR4 @3000Mhz

1 Kingston UV500 M.2 SSD 120GN

1- 2TB Barracuda HDD

Corsair H110R Case (1 rear 120mm fan and 1 120mm fan on top)

PSU: Corsair CX450 80+ Bronze

I had an old R9 380 4GB Card at home so I am using that one for now but would like to upgrade to a RX 5700 XT (XFX THICC III Ultra) and I would like to know if this PSU is enough to handle that card at stock speeds? If not I can still go back to the store and change it for bigger one. My other option of PSU at that store is an EVGA 700 BR 80+ Bronze (I know it isn´t the best PSU out there but those are my options in my country if I want to stay on my budget. I could go for a Asus ROG PSU but those are damn expensive)

EDIT: I have already used System builder and other sources to try to calculate the aproximate Watts consumption and it says that it would be 420 at best but I just want to make sure. Also, I have the extra cables at home to convert 1 x 6+2 pin connector to a 2x 6+2 pin connector if neccesary.

EDIT 2: I was able to find a new CX 650 which comes with 2x 6+2 pin connector. Thanks for all the help and videos.

Thank you in advance for the help and patience with this noobie.

5 minutes ago, Tisham said:

Use psu calculator 

I  have done my research and according to the calculators my rig will consume 410 Watts at best but I have read in other places that you need a 550-600w PSU for this specific model. That is why I am asking to the experts

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No. The 5700 XT variants I've seen all have 2 PCIe connectors

And it helps if I have the extra cables at home to tranform a single 6 +2 pin connector to 2 x 6+2 pin connectors?

But focusing on power consumption, will that 450 be enough? or should I change it for the 700 BR EVGA  PSU?

Get at least a 550W 80+ Gold Rated PSU.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

1 minute ago, Xiee said:

Get at least a 550W 80+ Gold Rated PSU.

The EVGA 700BR 80 + Bronze is the only "best" and bigger PSU I can afford. Will it be enough?

Just now, Rackso said:

The EVGA 700BR 80 + Bronze is the only "best" and bigger PSU I can afford. Will it be enough?

Yeah that should be fine.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

1 minute ago, Xiee said:

Yeah that should be fine.

Thank you, man!

4 minutes ago, Rackso said:

And it helps if I have the extra cables at home to tranform a single 6 +2 pin connector to 2 x 6+2 pin connectors?

No, it does not.

5 minutes ago, Rackso said:

But focusing on power consumption, will that 450 be enough? or should I change it for the 700 BR EVGA  PSU?

For wattage, yes. There is more to a PSU than wattage, so I recommend you get a better, lower wattage PSU than the BR.

:)

14 hours ago, m777y said:

should be

Should be what? Sorry

the evga br is lower quality than the cx. i'd keep your current psu or upgrade to a 550w high quality one.

To answer your question......I present Bryan from Tech Yes City.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

your cpu will draw max 120W

your gpu will dram max 250W

the rest will draw max 50W

total 420W that's under the most extreme overclocking and conditions. 

I think you're fine.

22 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I think you're fine.

Problem is, the CX450 only has one 8-pin connector, so OP either has to upgrade or get a dual molex to 6-pin adaptor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

This might give you a rough idea I guess.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

1 hour ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Problem is, the CX450 only has one 8-pin connector, so OP either has to upgrade or get a dual molex to 6-pin adaptor.

I do have a mollex! But was going to change it because someone told me above that I should go for the 700w BR instead. If you guys think the  450 W will handle the RX 5700 XT then I will stick with it. Now I am confused with all the information around here hehe..

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

There is no better 550w where I live, just more EVGA BR PSU and a CX 650 but it is out of stock

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

I think you're fine.

Do you think the 450W will be able to supply that wattage? I have heard that no PSU provides what it says it does, so the 450w is going to be providing around 430W for example.. it is a Bronze + so it should have a 85% effiency margin.

2 minutes ago, Rackso said:

Do you think the 450W will be able to supply that wattage? I have heard that no PSU provides what it says it does, so the 450w is going to be providing around 430W for example.. it is a Bronze + so it should have a 85% effiency margin.

They usually provide more than what they are rated for. 85% efficiency means that to supply 450, it will draw 550w or whaver from the grid.

11 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

They usually provide more than what they are rated for. 85% efficiency means that to supply 450, it will draw 550w or whaver from the grid.

So you recommend me staying with the 450 w? I thought upgrading to the 700 w BR , while worse quality, will still be more future proof in case I would like to change some parts along the way. Also, is using a mollex to conver a single 8 pin connector to 2 x 8+ 2 pin connectors a bad idea? are they going to work fine like if they were 2 independent pin connectors?

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

So I finally went for a CX 650. I was able to find one new on that store. Ty for all the help.

3 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

I was able to find a CX 650W this one comes with 2x 6+2 pin connectors :)