So what about G Skill Power Supplies?

BlackManINC

? Apparently G.Skill is relatively new on the power supply market, just breaking onto the scene about five or so years ago. I'm curious as to why no one has yet to review them. I have a 1250 watt one myself, its served me well so far, but has anyone here actually tested one? How good are they compared to the competition?

G.Skill Power Supplies

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

These PSU's were apparently released/shown in 2015 at Computex. They are apparently made by CWT, according to @jonnyGURU :

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?12355-G-Skill-Showcases-Ripjaws-Power-Supply-Series

They're CWT with horribly restrictive intake grills.

CWT is/has been an OEM for multiple brands including Corsair, Coolermaster, Thermaltake and evidently G.Skill too.

https://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/CWT.htm

Of course that still doesn't say much, since one OEM can make really good units and bad units too.

But that should give an idea of them not being much special, on top of not being too new as well.

But I'll let the experts on this forum fully judge them.

@LukeSavenije @Juular @Princess Luna

What would your opinion on this be?

P.S.

ew ketchup and mustard

image.png.61f2017c59347aa6f0443a1c3e0e3540.png

/s :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Personally I wasn't even aware G. Skill made PSUs, so that might speak to how common/advertised they are. Hard to catch a lot of reviews if people don't even know the product exists.

A girl who loves to love.

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

These PSU's were apparently released/shown in 2015 at Computex. They are apparently made by CWT, according to @jonnyGURU :

they are, platinum likely CWT PUO for the 1250w, the rest might be a downsized PUO, but more likely a CSH P

the gold are most likely a CSH G

but as you can hear by my wording... there's really too little info on them

7 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Personally I wasn't even aware G. Skill made PSUs, so that might speak to how common/advertised they are. Hard to catch a lot of reviews if people don't even know the product exists.

I wasn't that knowledgeable about power supplies in general when I bought it. They were actually selling their platinum series 1250 watt PSU for cheap, like around no more than 100 or so dollars at Micro Center. It isn't that cheap anymore though. I was not about to turn down a platinum series power supply with that much wattage for pennies on the dollar. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

they are, platinum likely CWT PUO for the 1250w, the rest might be a downsized PUO, but more likely a CSH P

the gold are most likely a CSH G

but as you can hear by my wording... there's really too little info on them

? What is the difference between 'CWT and PUO'? Is there supposed to be a quality difference?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just now, BlackManINC said:

? What is the difference between 'CWT and PUO'? Is there supposed to be a quality difference?

no, PUO is the platform name from CWT

they generally use 3 letters as their platform, such as PUO, CSH G, CSH P, GPS, GPU and so on

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

no, PUO is the platform name from CWT

they generally use 3 letters as their platform, such as PUO, CSH G, CSH P, GPS, GPU and so on

Ah I see 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Apparently G.Skill just doesn't want to sell them because there were no single review of them, that's a sign that no review samples were sent. So everything about them are speculation, which isn't a good basis for choosing a PSU, especially high-end one.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

8 hours ago, Juular said:

Apparently G.Skill just doesn't want to sell them because there were no single review of them, that's a sign that no review samples were sent. So everything about them are speculation, which isn't a good basis for choosing a PSU, especially high-end one.

Well they're still being sold on amazon though with mostly favorable reviews. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Well they're still being sold on amazon though with mostly favorable reviews.

Marketplace reviews mean nothing, especially on Amazon, they're actively altering them.

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

Marketplace reviews mean nothing, especially on Amazon, they're actively altering them.

? Customer reviews mean nothing? Well, this is news to me.

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

? Customer reviews mean nothing? Well, this is news to me.

Imagine ! Professional reviews by people who actually know what they're talking about are better than customer 'reviews' on Amazon like 'It works, good product !', 'DOA, bad product!', which are additionally being 'cleaned' by Amazon and sponsored by manufacturer (Amazon claims that they remove such reviews but that's bullshit).

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

Imagine ! Professional reviews by people who actually know what they're talking about are better than customer 'reviews' on Amazon like 'It works, good product !', 'DOA, bad product!', which are additionally being 'cleaned' by Amazon and sponsored by manufacturer (Amazon claims that they remove such reviews but that's bullshit).

Well, technical reviews or not, when it comes down to it the only thing that matters is if it works or not, and how long it lasts before malfunctioning. When it comes to that the reviews have been pretty consistent on other sites that sell them. I've had mines for about four months now and haven't had any issues so far. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, BlackManINC said:

Well, technical reviews or not, when it comes down to it the only thing that matters is if it works or not, and how long it lasts before malfunctioning. When it comes to that the reviews have been pretty consistent on other sites that sell them. 

With smth other than PSUs ? Maybe. With PSUs, if you see overwhelming amount of bad reviews it could mean that there are problems with this unit ether in general or there are some high failure rate batches, but if user reviews seem good that doesn't mean anything at all, there might be some issues that don't show up because such reviews were possibly removed, and when it comes to PSU, the only thing that matters other than quality are it's performance and value, which user reviews tell you nothing about.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

With smth other than PSUs ? Maybe. With PSUs, if you see overwhelming amount of bad reviews it could mean that there are problems with this unit ether in general or there are some high failure rate batches, but if user reviews seem good that doesn't mean anything at all, there might be some issues that don't show up because such reviews were possibly removed, and when it comes to PSU, the only thing that matters other than quality are it's performance and value, which user reviews tell you nothing about.

? Since I already have one, what constitutes good performance for a high wattage platinum rated PSU? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

what constitutes good performance for a high wattage platinum rated PSU? 

voltage regulaton is up to par. 

noise

protection coverage

multirail (is preffered)

topology

etc, etc. 

56 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

? Since I already have one, what constitutes good performance for a high wattage platinum rated PSU? 

It's a very complicated topic, in short; voltage regulation (deviations from defined voltage) and ripple suppression (less voltage noise) under various load scenarios, especially in crossloads and including overload), protections set and their performance, transient response and of course quality of components used (although famous 'japanese caps' aren't the whole picture, for example, fan bearing type are very important too), to less degree - hold-up time, power-OK signal accuracy, overall ergonomics of the unit (cables and connectors, dimensions), noise, efficiency and thermals (which usually tied together, i.e higher efficiency units tend to be cooler but not always quieter). Also having multiple 12V rails are plus for high-wattage PSUs (750W+ i'd say), and additionally having digital monitoring are big plus because you have both advantages of multi-rail and single-rail designs.

In short, you most likely can't judge (neither i am) if some PSU are good or not even if you have all this data on hand and it's accurate, as i said, it's very complicated topic, just trust professionals, one of them are Aris Mpitziopoulos (crmaris, he does reviews for THG, Tweaktown, TPU, Cybenetics, smth else i can't remember), also Jon Gerow (Jonny Guru, he's retired from reviewing for a while now tho since it works at Corsair but his older reviews are still good, Oklahoma Wolf does reviews at JonnyGuru.com now but he was inactive for a while too), if they say that PSU is good then it's very likely are.

For some very detailed read look at these articles :

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-power-supply-balance,3979.html

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?1036-The-quot-power-supply-FAQ-quot

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?3264-PSU-101-PC-Power-Supply-Basics

56 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

voltage regulaton is up to par. 

noise

protection coverage

multirail (is preffered)

topology

etc, etc. 

? How do I know if a PSU is multi rail? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

? How do I know if a PSU is multi rail? 

the consumerfriendly way of checking is by seeing the rail configuration in the manual/on the box. there would be more than 1 12v rail. 

(negative 12v rail doesnt count)

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the consumerfriendly way of checking is by seeing the rail configuration in the manual/on the box. there would be more than 1 12v rail. 

? Well here is what it says on the back of the box. 

❓

Not sure if you can see the picture

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

? Well here is what it says on the back of the box. 

❓

singlerail. as you can see, there is only 1 12v rail. 

1 minute ago, BlackManINC said:

Well here is what it says on the back of the box.

Single 12V rail. What PSU is that ?

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Single 12V rail. What PSU is that ?

Its the one I have, linked below. 

Link: https://www.gskill.com/product/90/199/1541128909/PS1250P-Power-Supply1250W-80-PLUS-PlatinumFull-Modular-DesignSmart-Cooling-w--140mm-Fan

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Its the one I have, linked below.

Oh, right. Well, can't say anything more than @LukeSavenije already did, everything we have are speculation, there are no reviews of it. From the looks of it, it's probably good, no need to return it or smth, but i wouldn't buy it even if i needed 1.2kW PSU, it's no PC component you can buy blindly.