Help me find spec sheet of Hynix BC501 HFM256GDJTNG-8310A NVMe SSD drive

RejZoR

I need spec sheet of this SSD. Particularly the temperature range of it. But I'd prefer a full spec sheet if possible.

SK Hynix BC501 HFM256GDJTNG-8310A, 256GB, M.2 NVMe interface. I always find spec sheets easily, but for retail products. This one came with laptop and is apparently some OEM version and I can't seem to find specs for it.

Cant find proper datasheet either (and no retail version to look at since Hynix doesnt sell anything like that from its own branding), but temperature ratings of SSDs are almost always 0C to 70C.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

if you have access to the drive, then you can probably read the controller name of the chip, which will then give you the specs of the controller. 

34 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

This one came with laptop and is apparently some OEM version and I can't seem to find specs for it.

May be this? ?

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c06043924

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1441868098-hd-ssd-sk-hynix-256gb-bc501-pcie-30-x4-nvme-m2-_JM?quantity=1&variation=50951215968

Operating Temperature 0° to 70°C (32° to 158°F) [ambient temp]

2 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

but temperature ratings of SSDs are almost always 0C to 70C.

Yep, 0C-70C is typical. This SSD is a single-package BGA (HFB1M8M0331A) and Hynix's in-house controllers are built on LAMD technology with 48L or 72L 3D TLC. No surprises here on the temperature front.

Crystal Disk Info was showing me temperature warnings and CDI usually has warnings set at 10°C below the max temperature, but I wanted to double check it.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a few years too late, but I finally sat down to try googling. To see if I can find specs for these drives and coming up short. From my experience in tech repair I have been finding these drives in pre-built desktops and laptops from big brands like Dell, HP and Acer. They are either dead when they are brought to me or I happen to notice them while doing cleaning for customers. From what I can tell these drives are made like SDDs from days past where there is no controller to be found and they write themselves to death. The dead drives last from 6 months to 2 years at best. Any longer is just pure luck or not it being used. If you come across them in any computer please remove and replace IMMEDEATLY with any other reputable brand out there. I have lately been swapping them for Crucial P3. They are great Gen3 drives that way out preform the SK Hynix. 

Like I said before. Way to late but wanted to have this on here to help warn others away from these drives as I haven't seen anyone else saying so.

9 hours ago, Kingmecha42 said:

From what I can tell these drives are made like SDDs from days past where there is no controller to be found and they write themselves to death. The dead drives last from 6 months to 2 years at best.

If you are going to necro an old thread which happens to be on the front page of search results for this specific SSD's model number, we might as well make the facts versus assumptions clear. 

Do you know for a fact that OEM drives have no cache, cache but a crappy controller, or literally no controller at all regardless of cache? There's a difference between the three scenarios, as well as if you are making an assumption.

I thought controllers were needed by nvme drives and SATA SSDs?

I don't doubt that the OEM SSDs in laptops have a relatively shorter live than mid to high tier SSDs - Just that it's not for the specific reason you claim.

The reality is that OEMs don't demand much performance, nor top tier endurance. It is my understanding that this tends to be evidenced by lack of SSD's cache, as that's the simplest price & performance distinction (aside from physical & storage size)

10 hours ago, Kingmecha42 said:

replace IMMEDEATLY with any other reputable brand out there. I have lately been swapping them for Crucial P3. They are great Gen3 drives that way out preform the SK Hynix. 

I recommend pulling OEM SSDs too - I got a Kingston NVME in mine that I replaced from an HP laptop, its only half the max speed of a decent aftermarket SSD that I installed, and who knows how much worse it is on random or sustained reads/writes.

To be clear: SK Hynix is a "reputable brand" as the 2nd-3rd largest memory chip maker, it does happen to be a huge OEM maker, makes their own controllers, also sells decent products direct to consumer, and bought Intel's NAND flash division (octane, etc) which was rebranded under the name Solidigm.

SK's most notable nvme SSD products include:

• P31 Gold - Still the power efficiency GOAT, ideal for laptops.
  • P41 Platinum - Pcie 4x4 random performance GOAT on paper upon release.

As for the P3 - For just a few dollars more, there's some more performant SSDs out there, including 970 Evo Plus (I have it & personally recommend) and SN570. For ~$20 more the P31 performs better too, though that's more for people wanting a longer laptop battery life.

Performance compare: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Zxw7YJ,xNCFf7,3dvdnQ,sw4Ycf/

PCPP SSD list around that price point: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/benchmarks/#A=1000000000000,20000000000000&D=1&X=0,7500&m=1,11,12,23,30,31,794,32,444,916,341,38&t=0

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, they have a controller... barely. I just replace 3 more of these OEM drives since this post. Two of them are outright dead. The third is suffering. The basic user has no need of 970 Evo Plus. In Canada a P3 is $71.23 and a 970 Evo Plus is $114.75. You want me to push $43.52 on people for small small gains? There are plenty of other drives out there around the same price as the P3 just that they are either not available or priced higher. When I save the customer that $44 I can suggest upgrading their ram when the laptop they bought only came with 4 or 8GB. Get the most for your dollar instead of blowing your load on one part to get that little better in one area. If you have the money to spend on better faster drives or ask for it do you think I would push for cheaper? If it was a gamer wanting the best performance they can get I would absolutely go for a Samsung 980 Pro or 990 Pro. Its the use case and when these cheap OEM drives can barely last 2 years and just outright die. I had one of the recent customers cry tears because the drive was dead and no hope of retrieving the photos of her newborn. She had to learn the hard way about having at least one other form of backup. That she can't trust one of these companies to give her something half way reliable. I preach heavily to have at least a secondary backup, but I can't force or reach everyone to do it. It also costs a lot more for everything up here in Canada right now and is getting worse.

I'm just trying to help have a warning out there for someone that is just poking around in their newly purchased device wanting to know about it.