Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

Will my PSU kill my PC?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have bought an FSP 500-60APN recently and to be sure I decided to call the retailer today and ask him if it was used before, turns out it was used since 2015, But the retailer is not sure what it was used for...

And ye, the problem is, the 14 Days "Testing period" is over, so I can't return the PSU to the retailer...

So my question is, Will my PSU kill my PC? Is my PSU safe? Will it die out on me? Will it cause performance drops?

Capture.PNG.383a368ba78af448b100b161de07ad26.PNG

Edit: The PSU has been running fine for now, but I don't know what will happen in the future!

Another edit: PC specs: i5 4590, 8 GB RAM, XFX RX 570 +50% powerlimit no OC

Its not the best of PSUs but as for killing your PC it should be adequate for your needs.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI , AMD Ryzen 7 2700x + Corsair H115i Pro RGB Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  2 x Samsung U28E590D 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 NVME PCI-E 500GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Baracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 750D Windforce Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Corsair K55 RGB Gaming Keyboard, Windows 10 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 2x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Logitech C920 Webcam, Blue Yeti Microphone, ESET Internet Security 2019 V12..

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Venegence Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Baracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Kaspersky Internet Security 2019, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Kaspersky Internet Security 2019.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750, 2 X Samsung C410W.

Asus AC-RT86 Cable Router Using a Virgin Media Hub 3.0.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8311508380

13 minutes ago, jimkirk363 said:

Its not the best of PSUs but as for killing your PC it should be adequate for your needs.

So it should run fine? How long do you expect it to run well for?

1 minute ago, InfinityVive said:

So it should run fine? How long do you expect it to run well for?

It should. How long? Not possible to determine.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

It should. How long? Not possible to determine.

And is there anything else I can do the check the PSU's health? (I already tried running FurMark with GPU power limit +50% and cpu burner at the same time for 5 mins)

7 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

And is there anything else I can do the check the PSU's health? (I already tried running FurMark with GPU power limit +50% and cpu burner at the same time for 5 mins)

To my knowledge - not so much, but there are psu gurus on the forum, they maybe can answer that better. Don't worry too much, there's nothing you can do about it besides buying a new one. If you can, buy a new quality unit, if you will be upgrading in the future you will be needing new psu anyway.

6 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

The only thing you could do is checking it for bloated capacitors during a regular check. And that's not only for your psu but for any psu that has been in use for 5+ years.

I've seen a lot of fsp-psu's since they're in regular builds from big companies as well, and none so far had killed anything in the computer when they reached the end-of-life. 

I wouldn't exchange it anyway, the life expectancy of a psu is limited no matter which one you have or going to buy in the future. Unless you know you're upgrading very soon you do not need to worry about it.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

The only thing you could do is checking it for bloated capacitors during a regular check. And that's not only for your psu but for any psu that has been in use for 5+ years.

I've seen a lot of fsp-psu's since they're in regular builds from big companies as well, and none so far had killed anything in the computer when they reached the end-of-life. 

And how can I check for the "bloated capacitors" and how do they look like?

Just now, InfinityVive said:

And how can I check for the "bloated capacitors" and how do they look like?

bloated psu capacitors entered in to google search would do the trick...