how do i make my internet faster?

KylorLee

i have a problem i want to know if theres a way to keep my internet from dipping below a certain speed i use mobile data sometimes it can be amazing sometimes its just SHIT i want to find an in between where i know itll be all the time can someone help me find a solution to my issue?

4 minutes ago, KylorLee said:

i want to know if theres a way to keep my internet from dipping below a certain speed

No.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, what is your ISP and the plan you have? (if you don't mind).

If you are not comfortable telling the info, then restart your router, upgrade your router maybe, try placing your router in a better location. Run some speed tests throughout the day. It might be a congestion issue or something.

Check if your computer/devices don't have any background tasks running.

Turn off any VPNS before testing speed test. 

Change DNS to 1.1.1.1

5 minutes ago, KylorLee said:

i have a problem i want to know if theres a way to keep my internet from dipping below a certain speed i use mobile data sometimes it can be amazing sometimes its just SHIT i want to find an in between where i know itll be all the time can someone help me find a solution to my issue?

Not possible. How do you think this would even work? If you don't get any internet/slow internet there isn't a magical solution to give you more internet.

Either you're not giving enough info, or you're expecting the impossible.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, ammar_code said:

Well, what is your ISP and the plan you have? (if you don't mind).

If you are not comfortable telling the info, then restart your router, upgrade your router maybe, try placing your router in a better location. Run some speed tests throughout the day. It might be a congestion issue or something.

Check if your computer/devices don't have any background tasks running.

Turn off any VPNS before testing speed test. 

Change DNS to 1.1.1.1

will that work on mobile?

1 minute ago, KylorLee said:

will that work on mobile?

Most lilkely would work. Most of those strategies should work. Except the router ones pertain to your router/modem. 

19 minutes ago, KylorLee said:

No need to keep making new topics. Let us know who you ISP is, what model of modem you have, which speed of internet plan you're subscribed to, and what your speedtest.net results are when using a hard wired connection to the modem. Then we'll at least have a baseline to refer back to when troubleshooting further.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

19 minutes ago, KylorLee said:

what are you talking about?

I answered your question. "Is it possible to keep my internet above a certain speed?" - no, there isn't.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I answered your question. "Is it possible to keep my internet above a certain speed?" - no, there isn't.

Unless you pay extra peso's for that service!

Just now, greenmax said:

Unless you pay extra peso's for that service!

It doesn't matter, it's impossible to guarantee a minimum speed on mobile data plans. You can get better top speeds and sometimes better coverage, but never a minimum guaranteed speed.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, greenmax said:

Im sure if you paid enough money, they'd prioritize you as the main guy.

Most ISP's and Mobile Network Providers actually advertise their speeds as "up-to". You could have a plan for 50 mbps and be getting 10 mbps. They didn't break their rules. It was "up-to". 

1 minute ago, ammar_code said:

Most ISP's and Mobile Network Providers actually advertise their speeds as "up-to". You could have a plan for 50 mbps and be getting 10 mbps. They didn't break their rules. It was "up-to". 

No, he's absolutely right. Pay enough (business class) and you typically get a SLA guaranteeing advertised speeds and uptime. If they don't deliver, you don't have to pay them for those periods.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

No, he's absolutely right. Pay enough (business class) and you typically get a SLA guaranteeing advertised speeds and uptime. If they don't deliver, you don't have to pay them for those periods.

That is true. However, I didn't mean to quote him. Just was adding to the discussion going on. Since this is what happened to some people. The ISP told them the upto clause. 

7 hours ago, greenmax said:

Im sure if you paid enough money, they'd prioritize you as the main guy.

If you put your phone in a 5cm thick lead box no amount of money will get an LTE signal in there. The point is that you can't guarantee a minimum no matter what because you can't control where the device is and what is between it and the base station.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 hours ago, KylorLee said:

i want to know if theres a way to keep my internet from dipping below a certain speed i use mobile data

Have you ever thought about how data actually makes it to your device?

Mobile data is a shared medium anyway, so you're subjected to the usage and airspace of other devices.

If a more traditional cable/DSL provider is available in your area, you'll have a more consistent experience with that.

From a physics perspective there's no 'guaranteed minimum' or 'no downtime ever in the entire universe', expensive business circuits have committed data rates although they often are untruthful about the statistics they gather.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

My mobile data is slow because of poor coverage in my area and the design of the building I live in.  To send an email I have to leave the phone by a window. It is pointless to use for streaming unless I drive about a mile down the road. 

For landline data I get what I pay for. 

12 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

When I was a business I used two providers. My work was time sensitize so guarantees did not matter. 

Comcast Business was as bad as their consumer service so I dropped it after about a year and went consumer. It was more to do with the many outages than overall speed.  

ATT was better with less outages but slower over all.  

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV