Monitor stand for 34GK950F

TinoBolgann
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
30 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

Thanks for recommending our stand!

For one without an arm, MOUNT-CUB2D might work for your desk setup.  Although it's designed to be a clamp mount, there is a slot in the main support where you could insert a couple screws down into the desktop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JN72HJR

Or for another option, if a stand with a flat base will work for you, STAND-V100W will support your monitor, and the flat base can be used as additional space. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QKCLWB

I kinda like this top choice because it’s relatively wide for a screw mount.  I personally woul drill a hole at each corner and insert a long screw or bolt, then put the screw into, or with a bolt through, the stand, the Melamie desk face the Melamie support under the desk face, and into or through a backer plate under all of that.

im not sure the bottom choice would do much good because while it wouldn’t require any mounting at all it may not actually be smaller in any useful way than what he already has.  If all he wants is a few more inches in front for his keyboard though it would be the easiest option.

Hey there.

I have a 34GK950F, and have a homemade desk of sorts, which makes it impossible to attach a monitor stand to the back of the desk.

The stand that comes with the monitor (I've been using this up to this point), takes up a lot of space on the desk which isn't very deep.

This severely limits my choice of mouse pads, and also gives me too little space to move my mouse around.

To explain the desk situation: It's really just the tabletop of my old desk cut to size, put into a windowsill and fastened with screws. To set the height to an acceptable level, blocks of wood were used under the table, meaning that I can't attach a monitor arm on the back, since it's solid there.

Any idea where to find a stand that'll take up less space? I'm struggling to find a solution.

I do believe the monitor has the option to be vesa mounted.

Hope someone can help me out :)

31 minutes ago, TinoBolgann said:

Hey there.

I have a 34GK950F, and have a homemade desk of sorts, which makes it impossible to attach a monitor stand to the back of the desk.

The stand that comes with the monitor (I've been using this up to this point), takes up a lot of space on the desk which isn't very deep.

This severely limits my choice of mouse pads, and also gives me too little space to move my mouse around.

To explain the desk situation: It's really just the tabletop of my old desk cut to size, put into a windowsill and fastened with screws. To set the height to an acceptable level, blocks of wood were used under the table, meaning that I can't attach a monitor arm on the back, since it's solid there.

Any idea where to find a stand that'll take up less space? I'm struggling to find a solution.

I do believe the monitor has the option to be vesa mounted.

Hope someone can help me out :)

So it’s got some custom mount that works with only with the stand that came with the machine and vesa.  Sounds like you answered your own question.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

a lot of the monitor stands that clamp on to a desk can also be screwed down on to the desk.

This one for example

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Adjustable-Articulating-STAND-V001/dp/B00B21TLQU/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=monitor+mount&qid=1582499468&sr=8-4

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So it’s got some custom mount that works with only with the stand that came with the machine and vesa.  Sounds like you answered your own question.

Thanks for replying.

The backside of the desk is solid, so I can't screw it down either. The only spot I could screw it down, is on the side of the desk, and in order to get anywhere close to the middle of the desk that way, the arm would have to extend 70+ cm (27 inches), and I've been unable to find such a mount.

There's a few TV mounts that extends that far, but then it has to be wall mounted, which unfortunately also isn't an option. The windowsill frame is made from old wood, and is quite porous.

I never use pivot or swivel, so even if the stand only had height adjustment, I'd be fine with that.

1 minute ago, TinoBolgann said:

Thanks for replying.

The backside of the desk is solid, so I can't screw it down either. The only spot I could screw it down, is on the side of the desk, and in order to get anywhere close to the middle of the desk that way, the arm would have to extend 70+ cm (27 inches), and I've been unable to find such a mount.

There's a few TV mounts that extends that far, but then it has to be wall mounted, which unfortunately also isn't an option. The windowsill frame is made from old wood, and is quite porous.

I never use pivot or swivel, so even if the stand only had height adjustment, I'd be fine with that.

“The backside of the desk is solid so I can’t screw it down” 

this bit I am failing to understand.  Solid how? Solid what?

winowsill frame? What window?  

This is beginning to sound like something that is very space specific.   Without knowledge of the space it becomes difficult.  Had a problem like this earlier where a guy wanted to run a desktop from a rack mount several meters from the desk.  The issue that wasn’t mentioned and didn’t come up till later was that the space was a condo made entirely of concrete.

The particulars of this desk sound unusual, as does the space surrounding it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

34 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

“The backside of the desk is solid so I can’t screw it down” 

this bit I am failing to understand.  Solid how? Solid what?

winowsill frame? What window?  

This is beginning to sound like something that is very space specific.   Without knowledge of the space it becomes difficult.  Had a problem like this earlier where a guy wanted to run a desktop from a rack mount several meters from the desk.  The issue that wasn’t mentioned and didn’t come up till later was that the space was a condo made entirely of concrete.

The particulars of this desk sound unusual, as does the space surrounding it.

Thanks for pointing that out. English is not my native language, and I clearly failed to explain the situation properly.
I've attached a few photos that I hope might show what I've been trying to explain :)

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

EDIT: Measurements are in cm.

47 minutes ago, TinoBolgann said:

Thanks for pointing that out. English is not my native language, and I clearly failed to explain the situation properly.
I've attached a few photos that I hope might show what I've been trying to explain :)

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Screw the mount down right into the table top of the desk.

28 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Screw the mount down right into the table top of the desk.

Not a bad idea.
I've been looking, and can't find one with screw holes in the base, but I'll keep trying.

Thank you for the help.

1 hour ago, TinoBolgann said:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

This is helpful.  Thankyou :)

so the desk is fairly thin Melamie  faced particle board and butted snugly up against a wall that has a window in it.  Melamie can be drilled but the board is fairly thin and particle board has strength problems to begin with.  Simply drilling and bolting to it could have problems as it could simply rip out.  Some sort of backing for the desk face seems like a good idea to do that.  One option might be to use a vesa mount that goes all the way to the floor and to thread it through a hole drilled in the desk face.

I notice screws in the face of the desk at the back.  This implies there is something under the  desk face.  The nature of what is under there becomes important.  It might be possible to screw to THAT thus getting a strong enough mount.

The window seems to cover at least part of the back wall.  Does it cover all of it?  I can only see one side.  

12 minutes ago, TinoBolgann said:

Not a bad idea.
I've been looking, and can't find one with screw holes in the base, but I'll keep trying.

Thank you for the help.

I googled “screw down vesa mount” chose “images” and got several pages full.  Many of them seem to have a cuff that drops down over the screw mount hiding it.

My only suggestion with these things is to make sure when you screw it down you do it to something suitably solid.  That melamie top might not hold by itself without aid.

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This is helpful.  Thankyou :)

so the desk is fairly thin Melamie  faced particle board and butted snugly up against a wall that has a window in it.  Melamie can be drilled but the board is fairly thin and particle board has strength problems to begin with.  Simply drilling and bolting to it could have problems as it could simply rip out.  Some sort of backing for the desk face seems like a good idea to do that.  One option might be to use a vesa mount that goes all the way to the floor and to thread it through a hole drilled in the desk face.

I notice screws in the face of the desk at the back.  This implies there is something under the  desk face.  The nature of what is under there becomes important.  It might be possible to screw to THAT thus getting a strong enough mount.

The window seems to cover at least part of the back wall.  Does it cover all of it?  I can only see one side.  

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I googled “screw down vesa mount” chose “images” and got several pages full.  Many of them seem to have a cuff that drops down over the screw mount hiding it.

My only suggestion with these things is to make sure when you screw it down you do it to something suitably solid.  That melamie top might not hold by itself without aid.

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

The desk is the full width of the windowsill.

The thing underneath, is the windowsill, it's just much less deep (around 20 cm from the windows out, maybe a little less)

I can't tell exactly what kind of wood it is, but I remember it being somewhat porous when I had to hang the blinds.

With long enough screws, I think that they could get way down there though, which might help make it more secure.

As for the idea with the vesa mount from the floor up, it's not really an option since there's also a heater under the table.

Here's another couple of photos:

One from under the desk, and one photo of the desk in it's entirety from the top.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4 minutes ago, TinoBolgann said:

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

The desk is the full width of the windowsill.

The thing underneath, is the windowsill, it's just much less deep (around 20 cm from the windows out, maybe a little less)

I can't tell exactly what kind of wood it is, but I remember it being somewhat porous when I had to hang the blinds.

With long enough screws, I think that they could get way down there though, which might help make it more secure.

As for the idea with the vesa mount from the floor up, it's not really an option since there's also a heater under the table.

Here's another couple of photos:

One from under the desk, and one photo of the desk in it's entirety from the top.

1.jpg

2.jpg

So what appears to be under the desk face is another layer of Melamie faced particle board.  I’m not totally trusting of it either.  The stuff is basically rough sawdust held together with glue.  Doubling the thickness does help though I guess.  There does appear to be more space under that though.  Enough for a backer board. Perhaps the screw type vesa mount @RonnieOP mentioned but with long screws that would extend through both the top of the desk, the board underneath it, and into a backer board you would add.  Something made of real wood might be a good idea.  Optionally you’re could do bolts instead and use a metal plate instead of a backer board.  Which ever is easier to get.

21 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

a lot of the monitor stands that clamp on to a desk can also be screwed down on to the desk.

This one for example

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Adjustable-Articulating-STAND-V001/dp/B00B21TLQU/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=monitor+mount&qid=1582499468&sr=8-4

For one without an arm, MOUNT-CUB2D might work for your desk setup.  Although it's designed to be a clamp mount, there is a slot in the main support where you could insert a couple screws down into the desktop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JN72HJR

Or for another option, if a stand with a flat base will work for you, STAND-V100W will support your monitor, and the flat base can be used as additional space. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QKCLWB

30 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

I kinda like this top choice because it’s relatively wide for a screw mount.  I personally woul drill a hole at each corner and insert a long screw or bolt, then put the screw into, or with a bolt through, the stand, the Melamie desk face the Melamie support under the desk face, and into or through a backer plate under all of that.

im not sure the bottom choice would do much good because while it wouldn’t require any mounting at all it may not actually be smaller in any useful way than what he already has.  If all he wants is a few more inches in front for his keyboard though it would be the easiest option.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:02 PM, VIVO-US said:

On 2/24/2020 at 10:37 PM, Bombastinator said:

Thank you both.

I think I'll go for the CUB2D and see if I can't drill some holes into the base, so I can screw it down :)

16 minutes ago, TinoBolgann said:

Thank you both.

I think I'll go for the CUB2D and see if I can't drill some holes into the base, so I can screw it down :)

You're welcome!  I hope it works well for you!

The base is made from 6mm thick steel, so it could take some time for the bit to go through if you drill it.  Just be sure to use a bit that's rated for use with steel along with some oil to help it cut through, and it'll all be fine!