Is there a program to turn 2 channel sound into all speakers?

kaylexmorgana

like watching a show that goes through 2 speakers only, is there a program that will make like chrome(where the video is from) to go through all speakers instead?

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

1 minute ago, Trump2020 said:

like watching a show that goes through 2 speakers only, is there a program that will make like chrome(where the video is from) to go through all speakers instead?

That's not how surround works. Surround says "this audio is coming from X speaker" So if you route a stereo program to a 5.1/7.1 system, it will all appear to come from the center channel unless there's an actual stereo panning.

To go through all speakers, it has to be treated as stereo with each pair treated as left and right simultaneously. So this is usually not an intended use. 

normally, if you have a surround sound system, playing stereo content should as far as i'm aware still make it come out all speakers, it just "emulates" a left and right group of speakers. (at least, that's how mine does it)

1 hour ago, Trump2020 said:

You can probably do this with equalizerapo. 

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

That's not how surround works. Surround says "this audio is coming from X speaker" So if you route a stereo program to a 5.1/7.1 system, it will all appear to come from the center channel unless there's an actual stereo panning.

To go through all speakers, it has to be treated as stereo with each pair treated as left and right simultaneously. So this is usually not an intended use. 

wat. if you play stereo on a 5.1 or 7.1 system, then the left and right channels of the stereo audio play on the front left and front right speakers respectively.

22 minutes ago, an actual squirrel said:

wat. if you play stereo on a 5.1 or 7.1 system, then the left and right channels of the stereo audio play on the front left and front right speakers respectively.

Only if you have it set to "Stereo", manually. More common is that the system will treat it as an analog Dolby Prologic II (not DD2.0). LD, DVD and BD all carry Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS tracks.

So a Stereo track with audio nearly identical becomes the center channel. That's how it sounds on pretty much everything that doesn't have discrete left and right audio. Your average MP3/OGG/OPUS file removes the stereo separation, so most end up playing on the center channel as well. 

That's also why surround receivers tend to have separate inputs for CD and Record players, since these would automatically be known to be stereo.

On 2/23/2020 at 3:48 PM, Kisai said:

That's exactly not what he's asking for. He's asking if there's a program that will matrix the sound. Which... I'm not aware of, but I've not really directly looked for.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 2/23/2020 at 4:40 PM, Trump2020 said:

What is your speaker system? How does it hook up to your PC? Hard to tell what you're asking for without this kind of information.

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

That's exactly not what he's asking for. He's asking if there's a program that will matrix the sound. Which... I'm not aware of, but I've not really directly looked for.

It's not clear what he's asking for. Either he's asking for quadraphonic stereo or he's asking for some kind of virtual surround mode that is intended for stereo tracks. If he's watching some TV show on youtube or a pirate site, those are incapable of being anything better than Dolby Prologic because it only encodes stereo tracks. So unless the thing you're watching was actually encoded as Pro Logic, it is going to treat it as a Stereo source, and if that's on a Surround Receiver expecting Pro Logic, it's going to come entirely through the center channel.

10 hours ago, Kisai said:

It's not clear what he's asking for. Either he's asking for quadraphonic stereo or he's asking for some kind of virtual surround mode that is intended for stereo tracks. If he's watching some TV show on youtube or a pirate site, those are incapable of being anything better than Dolby Prologic because it only encodes stereo tracks. So unless the thing you're watching was actually encoded as Pro Logic, it is going to treat it as a Stereo source, and if that's on a Surround Receiver expecting Pro Logic, it's going to come entirely through the center channel.

Seems pretty clear to me that he's looking for a program to spread stereo out across the speakers. My Yamaha can do that with stereo and some built in processing stuff, but then I have to switch between stereo and 5.1 all the time so I don't bother. A lot of people just want the left channel to come out of front and rear left, same for right.

#Muricaparrotgang

fill speaker option in properties?

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Seems pretty clear to me that he's looking for a program to spread stereo out across the speakers. My Yamaha can do that with stereo and some built in processing stuff, but then I have to switch between stereo and 5.1 all the time so I don't bother. A lot of people just want the left channel to come out of front and rear left, same for right.

i use to use the fill speaker thing and worked fine until i went with yamaha too

guess windows 10 has issues with it for some

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 4:19 PM, an actual squirrel said:

I tried it but i'm not sure how to do that.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:54 PM, ShearMe said:

What is your speaker system? How does it hook up to your PC? Hard to tell what you're asking for without this kind of information.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 10:05 PM, Kisai said:

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:25 AM, JZStudios said:

yes he is correct.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 11:23 AM, pas008 said:

fill speaker option in properties?

i use to use the fill speaker thing and worked fine until i went with yamaha too

guess windows 10 has issues with it for some

7.1 surround sound thx onkyo speakers. Connected to hdmi from my video card to a pioneer vsx lx101

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

The easiest way is probably to just set your PC/AVR to stereo and have the AVR do whatever kind of "upmixing" it can. Just swap back to surround before starting games or anything else with proper surround.

#Muricaparrotgang