Android and people with severe physical disabillities

SayMyName89

Hello,

I have severe quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy. With adaptive technology, I was able to complete mainstream schooling and earn a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. I currently have a job as a programmer analyst. None of this would be possible if it weren’t for the various alternative access methods to control my computer.

Up until just a few months ago, I was forced to use Windows devices due to the equipment being supported on Windows only. This left my curious programmer mind having to virtualize various Linux OS’s and an emulator for Android. Then I came across a head tracking device which works with any device that supports a mouse right out of the box. The only catch is that it needs clicking simulating software.

After finding many apps that could simulate touch gestures, I was very hopeful that I would finally be able to use a phone. After trying to simulate a scroll gesture with many of the apps, a message saying “Your device canceled the gesture due to motion detected” would appear. With respecting the wishes of leaving names out, I have it on good authority that it was an OS level bug and was fixed in Q. I unfortunately have an older phone that I acquired just to see if I actually could use it and now my only options are to either risk bricking it or buy a Q compatible phone.

Using a mobile device would greatly improve my independence. I would be able to speak to people using text to speech apps, go into a dark room and turn the lights on, see who’s at the front door and unlock with Nest products, control the temperature, and many other things.

I am not asking for Google to send me anything (although, it obviously would be nice); I am just making them and everyone aware of this bug affecting previous versions of Android. It’s unfortunate that Google does not seem to have any plans to fix it for any version prior to Q, leaving those relying on adaptive technologies with little option but to purchase a new device.

I did try posting this on r/Android but the mods wouldn't allow it for some reason I'm still trying to understand. Just trying to spread awareness.

It's probably not worth going back and fixing it for other versions of Android from a financial aspect; which is unfortunate, certainly, but that's how businesses function. You can get cheap Android 10 devices; Galaxy M30, Realme XT, Poco X2, etc.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red