Extra cooling solution for one-fan laptop

foxnguyenb

The reason why I post in general discussion is because my issue related to so many topic that I have no idea where to put it in.

I have a pretty much commercial 15 inch laptop ASUS Vivobook : X510UQ-BR748T. Basically it has 4c/8t i5-8250U with a 940MX dGPU, one HDD, one M2. SSD and 8GB RAM (2 sticks). Not a beast but still come in strong enough for my demand.

Recently, I cleaned the laptop myself and gave it a underclock treatment.

I mainly use 3 software: ThrottleStop, Cinebend R20 and Heaven to support the benchmarking and underclocking. I only bother the CPU performance in R20 because when I hit the system hard (taxing both CPU and GPU), it will throttle no matter what I do because of the one-fan cooling system.

The multi-core score (before cleaning, without underclocking) in R20 is ~560. Thermal throttled as many as it can. All-core turbo max was about  1.4 GHz.
I clean it, underclock to -95mV (still stable), give it some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, the multi-core score is now ~1300. The ambient temperature was 26C at that time, early in the morning when the temperature is still low. 

The system run smoothly, hit a all-core turbo at 2.7 Ghz, with the temperature of 93C. Sometimes it reach 96C but not for long.

With the score above the average score of i5 8250U, I call it a success. Now I want it to run cooler than this by having more airflow. I have 2 idea:
1. Swap the current fan for a better compatible fan (a very hard task).
2. Duct-tape 2 desktop fans, one blow cool air in and the other suck the hot air out.

And those are my question:
1) Is there any way to change the default fan to something else that similar but perform better? Like to stick a ZenBook fan into it.
2) Do you think my second idea is suitable in this case? If not what I may need to do?

3) Tell me your idea if you have one.

Extra information: the ambient temperature usually in the range of mid to high 30s (35C to 40C). I don't use the air conditioner.
Thanks you in advance.

1940123542_Annotation2020-02-23123811.png.b3bf536d1632e2416ccc3c0fe1489b46.png

Way more effort than it is worth.  You'll have better results turning your air conditioner on 

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

I managed to drop a few degrees by cutting holes in the bottom cover of the laptop and then just sticking a fine mesh over the holes. How does the bottom cover of the laptop look? 

If you have a metal bottom case cover I have heard of people placing thermal pads between the heat pipe and the case bottom which helps too however that comes at the cost of a hot bottom of the laptop (which may not matter depending on how you use your laptop).

4 hours ago, Purgent said:

Way more effort than it is worth.  You'll have better results turning your air conditioner on 

The thing is that, my area ambient temperature usually lies in the range of mid to high 30s (34C and above), so using the air conditioner will cost a big amount of money. I wonder if using the "2 fan" solution would do something to the system because when doing that, basically I mimic the cooling solution of a regular desktop PC. (one fan cooling the CPU/GPU and some fan to take in or take out the air)

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

I managed to drop a few degrees by cutting holes in the bottom cover of the laptop and then just sticking a fine mesh over the holes. How does the bottom cover of the laptop look? 

If you have a metal bottom case cover I have heard of people placing thermal pads between the heat pipe and the case bottom which helps too however that comes at the cost of a hot bottom of the laptop (which may not matter depending on how you use your laptop).

Unfortunately the hole chasis is made of plastic so put some extra heatsinks won't do much thing. Plus I do not have bravery to cut out a hole.
I made a guess that the current cooling solution of the laptop providing too little of airflow. So my idea is to mimic the Desktop PC cooling solution.

39 minutes ago, foxnguyenb said:

Unfortunately the hole chasis is made of plastic so put some extra heatsinks won't do much thing. Plus I do not have bravery to cut out a hole.
I made a guess that the current cooling solution of the laptop providing too little of airflow. So my idea is to mimic the Desktop PC cooling solution.

You don’t have a drill and just drill some hills over the CPU, GPU and fan? I’ve looked in to swapping fans and attaching fans before but it wasn’t possible for my laptop.

4 hours ago, foxnguyenb said:

The thing is that, my area ambient temperature usually lies in the range of mid to high 30s (34C and above), so using the air conditioner will cost a big amount of money. I wonder if using the "2 fan" solution would do something to the system because when doing that, basically I mimic the cooling solution of a regular desktop PC. (one fan cooling the CPU/GPU and some fan to take in or take out the air)

Fans circulating hot air isn't going to do much either. 

38 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Fans circulating hot air isn't going to do much either. 

But i wonder, does it aid to the stock fan? The stock fan cools the heatpipe. Isn't suck the air out (with better airflow than the stock) helpful? Furthermore, there is no fan on the intake side so the airflow is based on "air pressure" (cold air take space of the exhaust hot air). By bringing more air into the chasis, I think it would help the cooling and such. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

You don’t have a drill and just drill some hills over the CPU, GPU and fan? I’ve looked in to swapping fans and attaching fans before but it wasn’t possible for my laptop.

I think I may not be able to do drilling. And I want to attach the fan in a way that 1 fan help flow the air into the chasis (maybe be attached 90 degrees in front of the intake vents) and the other help to suck the air out (again, 90 degrees  in front of the exhaust vents) 

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTJ8G0xqG_IRNJ5fP4r6cgjRbZ3Up4OT66FnSA0Hw9AcIu0gR0vL8qTkxVerA&usqp=CAc

I mean you might as well just do something simple like this which will help some in keeping it a little cooler and won't require you to rig stuff up. The problem is the cpu temp is going to increase by an amount = to your ambient air. So if it is already hot in your house you can't really do anything to drastically reduce temps.

found this too

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Auto-Temp-Detection-2600-5000RPM-Nintendo/dp/B01NACVLWM/ref=asc_df_B01NACVLWM/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309779531175&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10825312541771647011&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9057375&hvtargid=pla-567639642462&ref=&adgrpid=62412137260&th=1

20 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTJ8G0xqG_IRNJ5fP4r6cgjRbZ3Up4OT66FnSA0Hw9AcIu0gR0vL8qTkxVerA&usqp=CAc

I mean you might as well just do something simple like this which will help some in keeping it a little cooler and won't require you to rig stuff up. The problem is the cpu temp is going to increase by an amount = to your ambient air. So if it is already hot in your house you can't really do anything to drastically reduce temps.

found this too

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Auto-Temp-Detection-2600-5000RPM-Nintendo/dp/B01NACVLWM/ref=asc_df_B01NACVLWM/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309779531175&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10825312541771647011&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9057375&hvtargid=pla-567639642462&ref=&adgrpid=62412137260&th=1

It's a pity that due to no hole/vent in the bottom area the usual cooling pad will not be helpful. For this reason, I want to attach 2 fans in the rear (please read the above reply of mine).

12 minutes ago, foxnguyenb said:

It's a pity that due to no hole/vent in the bottom area the usual cooling pad will not be helpful. For this reason, I want to attach 2 fans in the rear (please read the above reply of mine).

Did you look at the URL I posted? That device is specifically for that type of problem. It attached to the port and forces a ton of air through it. 

OPOLAR Laptop Fan Cooler with Temperature Display, Rapid Cooling, Auto-Temp Detection, 13 Wind Speed(2600-5000RPM), Perfect for Gaming Laptop, Nintendo Switch

Actually looking at photos of that device online... it doesn't appear to have much of anything at all for vents

And you don't need a direct vent for a laptop fan pad to work. The pad reduces the temp of the outside of your case, which will soak heat. Heat transfers to anything cooler.. so it would be absorbed even if slowly by the plastic shell then the pad would remove the heat from that shell. So it still does reduce the temp of the machine, by cooling the outside of it. It helps to reduce the ambient temp inside your machine which has a direct effect on the temp of your internal components.

https://nullbeans.com/do-laptop-cooling-pads-really-work/

21 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Did you look at the URL I posted? That device is specifically for that type of problem. It attached to the port and forces a ton of air through it. 

OPOLAR Laptop Fan Cooler with Temperature Display, Rapid Cooling, Auto-Temp Detection, 13 Wind Speed(2600-5000RPM), Perfect for Gaming Laptop, Nintendo Switch

Actually looking at photos of that device online... it doesn't appear to have much of anything at all for vents

And you don't need a direct vent for a laptop fan pad to work. The pad reduces the temp of the outside of your case, which will soak heat. Heat transfers to anything cooler.. so it would be absorbed even if slowly by the plastic shell then the pad would remove the heat from that shell. So it still does reduce the temp of the machine, by cooling the outside of it. It helps to reduce the ambient temp inside your machine which has a direct effect on the temp of your internal components.

https://nullbeans.com/do-laptop-cooling-pads-really-work/

Thanks for your advice, I may consider a cooling pad.