Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nyban

Experiencing coil whine on your AMD RADEON GPU?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello guys.

Having recently purchased a Sapphire RX 5600 XT for my newest game rig, I could not help but notice a strange buzzing sound coming from my GPU, which I paired along a Ryzen 3600x CPU and 16Gigs of DDR4 RAM clocked at 3200mhz, when playing games.

A quick search on the web showed that this noise is symptomatic of a phenomenon known as coil whine.

However, I also noticed the existence of a correlation between the buzzing sound and the number of frames rendered per second (usually above 500 FPS and up to 2000 in ingame menus)

As such, while no clear solution has been brought on the driver end by AMD (curse that 2020 adrenaline software), I figured out that limiting the FPS using RivaTuner helps in reducing the noise to non-existent levels.

In my case, setting a limitation to 144 FPS (which is the native refresh rate of my monitor) made the GPU quiet again.

So, before you are tempted to RMA your AMD GPU, consider using a FPS limiter to alleviate potential coil whine as this issue is widespread among 5600 and 5700 series GPUs.

Sorry If I made some mistakes : baguette speaker here, signing out!

My Radeon VII has audible coil whine when launching a game or when in the menu of said game. While playing, it's usually silent. I had to limit the frames in games for other reasons unrelated, but doing so inadvertently stopped the whine. The coil whine I experienced was not audible through headphones however. It pissed me off when I first heard it because the VII is supposed to be a rather high end card. 

RMA'ing your GPU because of coil whine seems a bit extreme, but yes, limiting FPS usually helps.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Mhh almost all gpus have some kind of coil whine my 2080 super has it aswell in menus too sometimes its so bad that i even can hear it while having headphones on but i just got used to it ^^

Old vid but i still chuckled. (strong language)

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Old vid but i still chuckled. (strong language)

Kudos for sharing the fun! 

My titan unfortunately has coil whine, basically any 3D scene gives me the buzz.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad