with a amd gpu can you run windows or ubuntu under unraid without needing 2 gpue

adiack

i am running unraid on my server 

it has a ryzen 7 2700

32 gb of ram

and a rx 480 gpu

can i run windows or ubuntu server or any Linux server that supports steam  under unraid without adding anuther gpu 

if you want a reply you need to quote or @me 

You can passthrough an AMD card to a VM on UnRaid (QEMU), but no idea if you can do it if its your only GPU. 

Why not try?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

You can passthrough an AMD card to a VM on UnRaid (QEMU), but no idea if you can do it if its your only GPU. 

Why not try?

i was kinda wondering if they supported gpu carrving 

like a nvidia tesla

4 hours ago, adiack said:

i was kinda wondering if they supported gpu carrving 

like a nvidia tesla

AMDs equivalent to NVIDIAs vGPU is called SR-IOV. There was talk a long time ago about AMD planning to enable this feature on their desktop cards but it never came to fruition.

It's possible that you can if you can detach the GPU from the Kernel at startup. You can detach it in one of 3 different ways.

1. Blacklist the driver
  2. By Device ID
  3. By Device Address.

The problem is without another GPU or iGPU you won't have any access to the GUI or Terminal if something goes wrong. Make sure you install OpenSSH-Server.

you always need a GPU for the host OS to grab, so yes you can passtrough the gpu, but no, it cant be the only gpu in your system.

Check if your motherboard has some built-in GPU. That might be of help. Otherwise, you will definitely need a second one. Another option would be using free ESXi as a hypervisor and running Unraid on top as a virtual machine. This approach requires some numerous efforts on rebuilding all the stuff but might work on a single GPU. Since VMware has made some numerous improvements on GPU pass-through performance https://www.vmwareblog.org/vmware-covered-performance-gap-physical-virtual-gpus/ I would give this a try.

On 2/23/2020 at 4:35 AM, manikyath said:

you always need a GPU for the host OS to grab, so yes you can passtrough the gpu, but no, it cant be the only gpu in your system.

1 hour ago, Net Runner said:

Check if your motherboard has some built-in GPU. That might be of help. Otherwise, you will definitely need a second one.

Is this from experience with AMD GPU's these statements? 

I have a single Nvidia GPU in my UnRAID box being passed to an Ubuntu VM then being passed to Docker, and it works just fine by unbinding it. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

50 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Yes. It worked for me with an RX460 and Ryzen that has a graphics chip inside. But didn't with just the external AMD GPU. I don't exclude my "crooked" hands here being an NVIDIA fanboy anyways.

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

I have a single Nvidia GPU in my UnRAID box being passed to an Ubuntu VM then being passed to Docker, and it works just fine by unbinding it. 

does your unraid box have a cpu with igpu?

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

does your unraid box have a cpu with igpu?

No, as I said its a single GPU. Theres no iGPU. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

I never understand people saying the host os needs a gpu. I’ve always passed through all gpu’s to vm’s. Works just fine. Just run unraid without a gui and with a network connection. Enter the ip you see after booting in a browser and do ur unraid things. Start a vm and it will just bind the gpu. Screen on it will go black for a second and then just show the bootscreen of whatever os is on the vm.

rebooting might be an issue with some amd gpus and all nvidia gpus though. As it rebinds it when rebooting the vm. Some gpus dont like that. Never been able to do it with an nvidia gpu. If it does it once it does it always. Do just try it. If it doesnt work just use the browser on another pc to reboot unraid.

I have no signature

How do you turn of the gui

1 hour ago, adiack said:

You dont "turn it off", you just dont use the local GUI, you manage it completely remotely through your browser and putty. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, adiack said:

during the boot of the PC you get a menu, select the one without a GUI. Then you'll get a CLI.

I have no signature