It’s time for a PC rebuild! Suggestions needed.

Hello all! It is thanks to this forum and to many of you that I got into PC building and gaming. I love this community, you guys help me build an amazing PC back in end of 2015 start of 2016. She has treated me well with little to no issues. However as time has gone on I have upgraded a component here, a component there, and now have a PC that has a GPU that is being bottlenecked by other components. I want to upgrade, with a budget of about 1k, given I already have an amazing 1080ti. So without further life story, here is the spec list of my build, with what is original and upgraded.

OG CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4 GHz
OG CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-Z775-LP 33.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (this cooler is old and dirty and bearing seems to be going out on it, makes a lot of noise)
OG Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (2 sata ports have died on this board since I originally got it, but otherwise she is doing fine. I like the fact that this MOBO has SO many USB ports on it. It has 4x3.0 and 4x2.0. I use all the 2.0 for peripherals, and about 1-2 of the 3.0 for my monitors usb pass through. But obviously some things are more important in life then lots of USB ports.
OG RAM/Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (4x4 running in quad channel, they are in xmp mode and have only been for 2ish years now)
OG Storage: Seagate 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
Upgraded/Added Storage: 970 Evo SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe + with a PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter due to M.2 slot on the mobo not being faster then x2 NVMe: M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter with Aluminum Heatsink Solution https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJTVGZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Zm4tEbWTBQG2A
Video Card/GPU: Originally a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card but have since upgraded about a year ago to a EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 ti sc2 hybrid 11GB RAM. Overkill for this system I know, but I was preparing myself for a upgrade and bought it at a VERY good price new thanks to it being a job perk of mine.
OG Case: NZXT Phantom 410 ATX Mid Tower Case with 3-4 fans added to it to make it essentially a wind tunnel. 1 of the usb 2.0 headers on it never worked to begin with. Case has been scratched and banged up and very slightly bent on the bottom due to it being packed into a suitcase and relocated. The back fan is cracked, so it makes grinding noises, also seems a bearing is going out in it, makes grindy, vibratey noises until it’s been spinning for awhile, then it shuts up and behaves. So i think i want to get a new case as well.
OG PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
OG Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Monitors: Primary 27” 2560x1440 Dell G-Sync monitor running at 1ms 144hz on Display Port. Secondary 24” 1920x1080 Dell Monitor running at 2ms 60hz on hdmi. Wouldn’t mind upgrading my main monitor to 4K, but honestly I love my current main monitor, do not like my secondary much.

(here is a suggestion i got for an upgrade, however it is only dual channel ram, and not many usb ports which yes i know is not really that important due to being able to use hubs. I was also suggested a x470 mobo.)

That is my current setup. My goal here is to salvage as much as I can from this build to build something better and newer and more modern by using the best of what I have now such as my GPU and storage. I have roughly 1k in mind as my budget with maybe being able to spend 1.5k if it is a big price to performance difference. I have extremely high end peripherals so I don’t need to upgrade anything there as they have all been recently upgraded. The reason I need help with rebuilding is I had help from some of you all when I first built this, and sadly I’m not really up to date with what is considered great or good. I play a LOT of Apex Legends competitively, keeping my settings as low as possible to max frame rate, while playing games such as RDR2 and other AAA single player titles on high as possible settings while still getting smooth frames for just causal enjoyment. I do not use my PC for any heavy work, such as video editing, video encoding, or anything of the sorts. Just normal every day usage, browsing, downloading, with gaming as a huge focus. I know I’m essentially asking you all to do my work for me and virtually build me something, but I have tried to build an upgrade myself and just have kept getting lost in current hardware and confused as to what is good and bad and worth it, or just snake oil. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

0.jpg

Also yes as you may have noticed, i basically swear by Logitech peripherals!

5 minutes ago, RedWolfGB said:

Also yes as you may have noticed, i basically swear by Logitech peripherals!

!!!

I'm actually looking into getting some Logitech G peripherals! Is your headset Logitech as well? Got any input to share? How's your experience with 'em?

(I haven't read through your post yet and I don't know how much a newbie like me can share, I just spotted the Logitech and got excited.)

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

2 hours ago, Eschew said:

!!!

I'm actually looking into getting some Logitech G peripherals! Is your headset Logitech as well? Got any input to share? How's your experience with 'em?

(I haven't read through your post yet and I don't know how much a newbie like me can share, I just spotted the Logitech and got excited.)

My headset is a Logitech G635, It is incredible. Personally i like it for its better mic as with Apex i play a lot with the people in my discord and some friends, So far Logitech has not failed me. However this is my second mouse (warranty replaced) due to the right button giving out after 5-6 months. This keyboard is my second keyboard due to just normal use and eventually failing switches. My OG G910 Orion Spark lasted several years. I am disappointed i did not get the spectrum instead of another Spark for my second keyboard, and i want to upgrade my keyboard again here soon, probably to a G815. LOVE my speakers. Webcam is meh, i never/hardly ever use it so i just looked for something that was sufficient at 1080p. Cannot recommend these peripherals enough! Mouse is a G502 Hero.

8 minutes ago, RedWolfGB said:

•OG RAM/Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (4x4 running in quad channel, they are in xmp mode and have only been for 2ish years now)
(here is a suggestion i got for an upgrade, however it is only dual channel ram, and not many usb ports which yes i know is not really that important due to being able to use hubs. I was also suggested a x470 mobo.)

just to clarify, having 4 memory sticks doesn't mean the system is quad channel, this cpu only supports 2 channels so it's actually running dual channel dual rank.

The suggested build is pretty decent, but I would probably sub out the 3200 ram for some faster 3600 ram at the same price point, 2x8gb at as low of timings as you can find such as https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PQVG3C/gskill-trident-z-neo-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gtzn you could also go with several other tower coolers in the same price range as long as they're a reputable brand such as noctua without much issue, the dark rock pro 4 is pretty sweet though. 16 gb is still a tonne of memory for gaming, 32 and above starts getting into the waste of money range

2 hours ago, Arrogath said:

just to clarify, having 4 memory sticks doesn't mean the system is quad channel, this cpu only supports 2 channels so it's actually running dual channel dual rank.

The suggested build is pretty decent, but I would probably sub out the 3200 ram for some faster 3600 ram at the same price point, 2x8gb at as low of timings as you can find such as https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PQVG3C/gskill-trident-z-neo-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gtzn you could also go with several other tower coolers in the same price range as long as they're a reputable brand such as noctua without much issue, the dark rock pro 4 is pretty sweet though. 16 gb is still a tonne of memory for gaming, 32 and above starts getting into the waste of money range

Yes someone suggested TridentZ due to it being B-Die (no idea what that is) and that i want at least 3600 speed, and c18 (also do not know what that is) however i do understand RAM speed. So 4x4 would be sufficient for gaming? My idea is future proofing, but i also want to be smart with not buying something i wont use.

1 minute ago, RedWolfGB said:

Yes someone suggested TridentZ due to it being B-Die (no idea what that is) and that i want at least 3600 speed, and c18 (also do not know what that is) however i do understand RAM speed.

picking a guaranteed b-die kit isn't necessary if you aren't going to overclock the ram beyond it's rated xmp/docp profile, the samsung b-die modules just have slightly tighter delays and tend to scale better with voltage than other kits. Memory timing tuning can have fairly decent returns on Zen 2 due to a fairly high overall latency between memory and cpu core

2 hours ago, Eschew said:

!!!

Also i believe LTT has reviewed every peripheral i have. Here is a list of my Peripherals:

Keyboard: G910 Orion Spark Romer G Mechanical Keyboard

Mouse: G502 Hero

Mouse Mat: G240

Headset: G635

Speakers: G560

Webcam: C920

The only thing really going out on the OG board is the cooler fan.  Looks like an entire cooler replacement would be needed.  Thing is though it’s not a bad business system.  With the old 970 it’s even a decent 1080p gaming machine. 

I am given to a certain temptation to replace the cooler fan with something Uber cheap, drop in some cheapass storage, like a 1tb HD, and either sell it as entry level gaming or keep it as a backup.

Things worth saving from your old system:  the 1080ti and the hard drive.  These are keepers no matter what.  The case is a bit more iffy only because if you DONT keep the case you’ve got a whole other machine.

The bang/buck CPU of the moment is the 3600 because it’s basically a slow 8700k with better upgradability for a vastly lower price.  It goes with a higher end b450 motherboard (MSI tomahawk is quite popular but there are others)

and more than (not equal to) 8g of memory. (This basically means 16g because of how things are set up) downside of AMD is it needs fast memory to work right which is getting slightly spendy. 16 gb of 3600mhz cas16 is kind of a requirement. Adding an SSD and using the 4tb for storage could pick speed up a bit.

If you just gotta go intel, the only cpu they have for sale that’s even competitive with AMD atm are the versions of the 9900s. They don’t get as much from fast ram so you don’t need it as badly

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The only thing really going out on the OG board is the cooler fan.  Looks like an entire cooler replacement would be needed.  Thing is though it’s not a bad business system.  With the old 970 it’s even a decent 1080p gaming machine. 

I am given to a certain temptation to replace the cooler fan with something Uber cheap, drop in some cheapass storage, like a 1tb HD, and either sell it as entry level gaming or keep it as a backup.

Things worth saving from your old system:  the 1080ti and the hard drive.  These are keepers no matter what.  The case is a bit more iffy only because if you DONT keep the case you’ve got a whole other machine.

The bang/buck CPU of the moment is the 3600 because it’s basically a slow 8700k with better upgradability for a vastly lower price.  It goes with a higher end b450 motherboard (MSI tomahawk is quite popular but there are others)

and more than (not equal to) 8g of memory. (This basically means 16g because of how things are set up) downside of AMD is it needs fast memory to work right which is getting slightly spendy. 16 gb of 3600mhz cas16 is kind of a requirement. Adding an SSD and using the 4tb for storage could pick speed up a bit.

If you just gotta go intel, the only cpu they have for sale that’s even competitive with AMD atm are the versions of the 9900s. They don’t get as much from fast ram so you don’t need it as badly

i am looking for price to performance and value over really anything else. That does not mean however that i am not willing to drop some kidney selling cash on this build, as i do want to make sure i future proof myself and eventually maybe get a 2080ti

1080 ti still decent until 5 years from now.

up to i9 9900k/kf/ks @5ghz + 4000mhz 2X16GB ram triden z royal + 850/1000W seasonic prime titanium

that's it

4 hours ago, RedWolfGB said:

i am looking for price to performance and value over really anything else. That does not mean however that i am not willing to drop some kidney selling cash on this build, as i do want to make sure i future proof myself and eventually maybe get a 2080ti

New GPUs are apparently on the horizon which makes new GPU purchases not awesome atm. The 1080ti is a well enough performing card.  

myself I’ve been hanging in with a 580 and avoiding buying a new GPU waiting for the new cards to arrive as I suspect they’re going to push the price/performance envelope quite a bit.
An 8/16 chip might be a longer performing option than a 6/12 chip, so there’s the 3700x or 9900 series available. The 3900x is 12/24 and is about the same price as the 9900

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/22/2020 at 3:44 AM, Bombastinator said:

New GPUs are apparently on the horizon which makes new GPU purchases not awesome atm. The 1080ti is a well enough performing card.  

myself I’ve been hanging in with a 580 and avoiding buying a new GPU waiting for the new cards to arrive as I suspect they’re going to push the price/performance envelope quite a bit.
An 8/16 chip might be a longer performing option than a 6/12 chip, so there’s the 3700x or 9900 series available. The 3900x is 12/24 and is about the same price as the 9900

from everything i could gather, 3700x seems like a solid option, and is what i have in my suggested upgrade