2080ti or wait for 3080ti?

Quadrum

As I’m working through my options for my future pc upgrade. I came across some interesting online rumors. These rumors claim that the 3000 series nvidia graphics cards could be releasing as soon as June of this year. As I am willing to wait some time for their release, but probably not much later than June, should I just buy a 2080ti now, or wait for a 3080ti.

A second follow-up question, considering I’m planning on water cooling (custom) whatever card I get, could I possibly get a 2080ti founders water block now and decide later if I get the 2080ti or 3080ti, or would they be incompatible. If this is the case, I might have to wait even longer for water blocks to be released.

I appreciate all answers, and thank you for replying in advance!

wait for next gen cards...2080ti you'll pay full price and it ain't worth anywhere that at this point.

and don't watecool it it's not worth it you'll hate yourself just get a sweet hgiher end model with a nice cooler instead.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

wait for next gen cards...2080ti you'll pay full price and it ain't worth anywhere that at this point.

and don't watecool it it's not worth it you'll hate yourself just get a sweet hgiher end model with a nice cooler instead.

I’m gonna be honest, I absolutely love custom cooling, and I really wanted to do it at some point. I certainly won’t “hate myself” and I’m doing it not just for the aesthetics and cooling, but also because it’s a really fun project and I’m into overclocking. I’m going to custom watercool whatever card or cpu I upgrade do, and I currently have a distribution block in the mail. 

Just now, Quadrum said:

I’m gonna be honest, I absolutely love custom cooling, and I really wanted to do it at some point. I certainly won’t “hate myself” and I’m doing it not just for the aesthetics and cooling, but also because it’s a really fun project and I’m into overclocking. I’m going to custom watercool whatever card or cpu I upgrade do, and I currently have a distribution block in the mail. 

don't get me wrong i do get your point...but you wanted an opinion and i gave you mine. :)

Maintenance, reliability, hassle, cost...all those things makes it not worth it for me personally as a gamer...i rather upgrade graphics card more often

and not feel tied up to a full blown plombing setup that can fail on me at any time.

I need my computer to work, and since what happened to my 980ti...yeah. ?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

don't get me wrong i do get your point...but you wanted an opinion and i gave you mine. :)

Maintenance, reliability, hassle, cost...all those things makes it not worth it for me personally as a gamer...i rather upgrade graphics card more often

and not feel tied up to a full blown plombing setup that can fail on me at any time.

I need my computer to work, and since what happened to my 980ti...yeah. ?

Haha yeah, I totally get that. The truth is yes, it’s a hassle, and a pain, every time I need to change a part, or move apartments, I have to drain the loop. I really get that. What happened to your 980ti? I’m curious.

5 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

Haha yeah, I totally get that. The truth is yes, it’s a hassle, and a pain, every time I need to change a part, or move apartments, I have to drain the loop. I really get that. What happened to your 980ti? I’m curious.

i took it appart to install a water cooling unit on it but one of the screws that hold up the GPU i didnt have the good philips screw driver on hand i guess and i stripped it and by the time i was trying to help myslef with pliers i scratched the card JUST A LITTLE TINY FKN BIT but screwed up a couple traces on the card...memory traces.

Mounted the thing on it and booted just to see 1 out of 15 lines being white...always, and graphics drivers wont even install...cant run 1080p resolution even...broken card.

Sold it for 100$ to a guy who fixed it...he melted the paint and redid the traces with a special gold paint pen and clear coated the thing or some shit...he sent me pictures and all and told me the card was working great.

No more messing around with graphics cards for me...too fragile.

it was a GTX 980ti Strix i paid 850$ CAD for at the time...card was running very hot on air cooling.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i took it appart to install a water cooling unit on it but one of the screws that hold up the GPU i didnt have the good philips screw driver on hand i guess and i stripped it and by the time i was trying to help myslef with pliers i scratched the card JUST A LITTLE TINY FKN BIT but screwed up a couple traces on the card...memory traces.

Mounted the thing on it and booted just to see 1 out of 15 lines being white...always, and graphics drivers wont even install...cant run 1080p resolution even...broken card.

Sold it for 100$ to a guy who fixed it...he melted the paint and redid the traces with a special gold paint and clear coated the thing or some shit...he sent me pictures and all and told me the card was working great.

No more messing around with graphics cards for me...too fragile.

That’s quite a story! You have certainly persuaded me to be super careful with my gpu. I helped a friend do it with a 2080 and yeah, it was both nerve racking and a ton of fun. Sorry to hear about the card, that does really suck.

48 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

That’s quite a story! You have certainly persuaded me to be super careful with my gpu. I helped a friend do it with a 2080 and yeah, it was both nerve racking and a ton of fun. Sorry to hear about the card, that does really suck.

its fine i got myself a GTX 1080 windforce from gigabyte after that i paid 580$CAD for and a year later or so i sold it for 490$cad and bought that 1080ti Gaming X Trio for 700$CAD

That was over a year ago...probably even a year and a half...and still to get that level of performance i would need to blow 800$CAD+ on a RTX 2080...a card that has been out FOREVER at this point.

i'm waiting to see next gen, you should too unless you need a card right now and then i'd say get a deal on a RTX 2070 Super and overclock it...sell it when new cards launch.

Or maybe a used 1080ti...but not a cheap one...a nice one.

see why i say 2080ti ain't worth it...it's like 30% faster than those cards im talking about...how long before nvidia launch a mid/high end card that wipes the floor with it...RTX performance will very likely more than double...that alone is worth the wait because ppl don't realize but real time ray tracing is indeed the future of next generation games.

I don't think water cooling is a hassle. In my environment it's essential.

I have transported my PC in the car a few times with no problems at all. Although I don't use solid tubing.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

11 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I don't think water cooling is a hassle. In my environment it's essential.

I have transported my PC in the car a few times with no problems at all. Although I don't use solid tubing.

what is your ''environment''? the surface of mercury?

These components DO NOT require anywhere near this level of cooling performance to last longer than their expected useful life.

prove me wrong :D

13 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

These components DO NOT require anywhere near this level of cooling performance to last longer than their expected useful life.

ambient temps of +35c

water cooling keeps my gpu about 20c cooler 

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

4 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

It's not about life though is it. The 20 series cards love to boost higher when the core is less than 45C. To do that on air would be very noisy! 

5 hours ago, mardon85 said:

It's not about life though is it. The 20 series cards love to boost higher when the core is less than 45C. To do that on air would be very noisy! 

Boost Higher by what? Maybe 2%?

So basically 1fps here and there if you're lucky...it ain't worth it at all and you won't convince me otherwise.

Are you going to want to wait for 4080ti once the 3080ti releases, too?

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

19 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Boost Higher by what? Maybe 2%?

So basically 1fps here and there if you're lucky...it ain't worth it at all and you won't convince me otherwise.

My Gigabyte 2080ti gaming OC was reaching 86C and running well below 2000mhz prior to me fitting a Kraken G2 and that with with a noisy fan curve. 

Now the PC is much much quieter, runs 2020mhz undervolted and under 60c.

Its not just 2% it's more than that. It's the whole picture. 

But different people want/value different things. 

I see you run a Corsair AIO on your CPU. What is your opposition to fitting an AIO on your GPU? 

On 2/21/2020 at 10:08 PM, i_build_nanosuits said:

its fine i got myself a GTX 1080 windforce from gigabyte after that i paid 580$CAD for and a year later or so i sold it for 490$cad and bought that 1080ti Gaming X Trio for 700$CAD

That was over a year ago...probably even a year and a half...and still to get that level of performance i would need to blow 800$CAD+ on a RTX 2080...a card that has been out FOREVER at this point.

i'm waiting to see next gen, you should too unless you need a card right now and then i'd say get a deal on a RTX 2070 Super and overclock it...sell it when new cards launch.

Or maybe a used 1080ti...but not a cheap one...a nice one.

see why i say 2080ti ain't worth it...it's like 30% faster than those cards im talking about...how long before nvidia launch a mid/high end card that wipes the floor with it...RTX performance will very likely more than double...that alone is worth the wait because ppl don't realize but real time ray tracing is indeed the future of next generation games.

You planning on selling the trio down the road?

17 hours ago, mardon85 said:

My Gigabyte 2080ti gaming OC was reaching 86C and running well below 2000mhz prior to me fitting a Kraken G2 and that with with a noisy fan curve. 

I see you run a Corsair AIO on your CPU. What is your opposition to fitting an AIO on your GPU?

That's how i killed my 980ti but it was my f*ck up though...you can read above if you want more details lol ?

so ALMOST got the chance to try it...

10 hours ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

You planning on selling the trio down the road?

yes i will as soon as i can get my hands on a decent card for less than 1000$CAD that is at least +50% over the trio i will sell it.

i care mostly for VR performance improvements. Cause for the 1440p monitor the 1080ti is flawless in every game including read dead 2 with the proper settings.

8 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

That's how i killed my 980ti but it was my f*ck up though...you can read above if you want more details lol ?

so ALMOST got the chance to try it...

yes i will as soon as i can get my hands on a decent card for less than 1000$CAD that is at least +50% over the trio i will sell it.

i care mostly for VR performance improvements. Cause for the 1440p monitor the 1080ti is flawless in every game including read dead 2 with the proper settings.

How was the trio for cooling/overclocking?

I’m doing an SLI setup where top card is water cooled and bottom is air cooled. Aiming to do a minor OC on both that couldn’t be done if both cards were stock coolers. Don’t have rad capacity to water-cool both effectively. 

I haven't picked up second card for this yet (I have had the current 1080ti for 8 months). My options are to either get a 1080ti Armor to watercool, a second Gaming X and watercool the lesser performer with the stock cooler, or get a trio and watercool the Gaming X I already have.

I’d really like to go with the third option, so I can watercool the card I have now. But Trios are so hard to find. I was wondering if you’d consider giving me first dibs on making a deal when the time does come to sell?

32 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

How was the trio for cooling/overclocking?

I’d really like to go with the third option, so I can watercool the card I have now. But Trios are so hard to find. I was wondering if you’d consider giving me first dibs on making a deal when the time does come to sell?

it's an amazing card as is...it runs 1975mhz or so right now and never goes above 74c...most of the games in the low 70s even...and it's SUPER quiet...fans around 55% on load...no issues with this card it's awesome. It would perform even better in a case with better airlfow, i plan to fix this soon with a front panel mod.

As for selling the card, i always use Kijiji and sell localy...i want cash money and i don't ship. I can meet in say a 20km radius if you want, or test it at my home, i live in Terrebonne Quebec :)

26 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it's an amazing card as is...it runs 1975mhz or so right now and never goes above 74c...most of the games in the low 70s even...and it's SUPER quiet...fans around 55% on load...no issues with this card it's awesome. It would perform even better in a case with better airlfow, i plan to fix this soon with a front panel mod.

As for selling the card, i always use Kijiji and sell localy...i want cash money and i don't ship. I can meet in say a 20km radius if you want, or test it at my home, i live in Terrebonne Quebec :)

PM inbound.

May I ask what case you are using?

21 hours ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

PM inbound.

May I ask what case you are using?

Phanteks P400S tempered glass

i need to perform this front panel mod on it:

image.png.5bfbbbc2e394dc6f6b143bc549421a8c.png

(this is just a random google image picture of what i need to do to the front panel, i can probably do it even better than that)

i ordered 2 corsair SP120 red fans and the 240mm magnetic dust filter.

This should improve things quite a bit.

Man now I say 100% wait for 3080 Ti. Nvidia is going to have to come with something big now that XBox Series X has been officially announced to have a 12 TFLOPS Navi 2 gpu, which would put it just a hair below 2080 Super in traditional gaming performance (no idea how the hardware RT will compare though).

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Man now I say 100% wait for 3080 Ti. Nvidia is going to have to come with something big now that XBox Series X has been officially announced to have a 12 TFLOPS Navi 2 gpu, which would put it just a hair below 2080 Super in traditional gaming performance (no idea how the hardware RT will compare though).

Good to know. Thank you!

49 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Man now I say 100% wait for 3080 Ti. Nvidia is going to have to come with something big now that XBox Series X has been officially announced to have a 12 TFLOPS Navi 2 gpu

Yes they should...

They also should release a PC VR headset with wide field of view 4K 120hz Gsync built in...nvidia is caught lacking...stock piling money and forget about gamers.

VR is awesome, that rift S i use i would consider cheap and low end compared to what i'd like to buy and nvidia could provide it.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:08 PM, i_build_nanosuits said:

real time ray tracing is indeed the future of next generation games.

I was pretty skeptical of this at the RTX series launch, but in Digital Foundry's video on the XBox Series X today they shared that 4A Games (eg developers of Metro Exodus) said they're throwing out their entire codepath to build everything from the ground up for raytracing. So that says the consoles should have pretty decent RT capabilities, which means we're going to start seeing this all over the place in PC games.

They start talking about RT around the 8:20 mark