Laptop for coding

WhyML
11 minutes ago, WhyML said:

I'm a web developper and need a new laptop for my work, I work with NodeJS and Python in the backend.

I found this one, is it good for my usage ?

https://www.newegg.ca/black-dell-inspiron-15-3583-mainstream/p/1TS-000A-070C4

Thanks !

That is a good laptop for the price but its a little overkill for whats it gonna be used for maybe one with a i5 proccesor would be enough

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

That laptop has a VERY poor display (1366x768). Try to find one with 1080p or better.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

What I'm actually looking for is a laptop with Core i7, 8/16g of RAM and some dedicated gpu for some lightweight machine learning, I would put 1000CAD exl tax.

12 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Emmm... no? He is doing NodeJS and Python, even a $300 N4100 could do the work fine. He also wants to do some machine learning, so any Nvidia GPU should be enough. Why would he stick with a $2500 MacBook Pro 16 (without Nvidia GPU, but AMD's, and it overheats a lot), or a dual core Macbook Pro 13 (which is too expensive for his usecase, underpowered, overheats on heavy tasks and it still uses the old faulty keyboard). MacBooks are not worth unless you need one for work or for your personal projects.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My suggestion? i7 8550U is still a nice CPU, even if it's 2 years old, it's not going to be debunked anytime soon due to its price (as low as $500). Maybe a Ryzen 3500U/3700U if you want some extra graphics' power and don't need Nvidia. The i7 8565U is an improvement, but it's still the same CPU for a bit more. The i5 8250U (and 8350U) are really good too, and IIRC the only difference between the i5 and i7, is that the second ones have a bit more cache memory (6MB vs 8MB IIRC).

You can take a look at the 10th gen i5 and i7 but don't expect improvements over the 8th gen, unless it's the i7 10710U which is overkill.

@genexis_x any i7 8550U/8565U/10510U recommendations, with good enough display, nice battery and maybe a GTX 1060/1650/1660Ti/RTX 2060?

i7 1065G7 maybe is a bit too much (basically the same as 3700U but more expensive), but if you don't need dGPU then the CPU is fine. Although I recommend G Series, Latitude and XPS from Dell, Inspiron tend to be poorly built

Unix, why would you get a windows machine for coding... 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1878904/should-i-take-a-python-cs-class-using-windows-or-mac

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/why-programmers-think-mac-os-x-is-best-os-use-3638706/

https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/1061/3-reasons-why-macos-is-better-than-windows-for-programming

PS if you want to do machine learning and AI you'd want a Nvidia GPU with tensor cores which starts with the 2060 which is also stupidly expensive. Overall I'd take a preowned MacBook Pro 2015 over any current windows options. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Please keep in mind that priority when replying is always to help OP to spend their money wisely. Their wishes are what to go by with. Discussion about variations in features is acceptable, if the main point of the thread is kept in mind. This thread is mainly about hardware.

@WhyML, if you want this sidetrack about macOS/UNIX and/or Linux vs Windows to be removed, please use the Report button.

Complaints can be directed to my PM.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Clarified a bit

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/22/2020 at 1:10 AM, WhyML said:

lightweight machine learning

AWS or other cloud based?! - then you can forget about paying for GPU, and get smth nicer for the price