Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SnickerinTurtles

Building 2 PCs need advice

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
Hello everyone,
First off let me start in advance by saying thank you for your help and advice. It is highly appreciated. I will admit I have not been keeping myself updated in the PC world and my knowledge is maybe outdated. I did try to do some research to update myself. So hopefully I am not a complete idiot. My budget is somewhere between $1000-$1500.
I am planning on upgrading/rehauling my current PC build. I made this build about 4 years ago. I plan on reusing some of the parts for my new build and recycling the rest of them for a 2nd computer, which will be my guest pc (in my guest room) or I will give it my folks or a friend. I would like to be smart about these purchases hence me asking the buildapc community. I really would like to make sure I am doing this right.
A little more background. Back in the day when I kept up with PC world I would play all my games on PC. And the only reason I switched to console was because my friends played on console instead of PC. So I am use to playing on my PS4 Pro, but I from what I understand my PC is more powerful than my PS4 Pro and I have been missing out all this time and with the new consoles basically being a PC or so I understand I would rather spend the money upgrading my current build. Plus all my friends are switching to PC now so it would make sense to switch back.
So what is the purpose of the 1st build (besides gaming)?
Well, I plan using for work and gaming. My work includes programs such as AutoCAD Civil 3D, Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), 3D rendering software such as Lumion, Unity, Sketch-Up etc. So as you can see heavy rendering and CAD is my main use for work. As for my gaming I like to play Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, GTA, Far Cry I think you get the picture. I would like to play these games on my 65" 4K HDR TV (Specific model:UN65KS800DF). I do understand there would be an input lag, but I won't be competitively gaming so this isn't a big concern. And if I want to play competitively I'd just play on the Alienware screen I have. I was hoping to create a build with a black and white parts with RGB lighting. I could be convinced to save my money or use it buy better parts, but I am sucker for RGB lighting and making things look fancy.
What is the purpose of the 2nd build?
The purpose of the 2nd build was to give to my folks or have a secondary PC in my guest room. If my want it they would use it for surfing the web and watching Youtube videos. They do not game or do anything else with their current computer I just thought it would be nice for them to have a better PC. If they do not want it then it will sit in my guest room for the guest to use. Maybe I use it as a secondary gaming pc for friends who come over and want to game with me.
So, without further ado here is my current build with other parts I own. As well a custom build for my build and the folks/guest room pc.
 
My Current Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC Black Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Rosewill Thor ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Alienware AW3420DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 16:29 EST-0500

 

Other Parts I own and plan on using these are still in the box unopened:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 16:31 EST-0500

 
My Suggested Build with some parts I already own and I what I would need to buy:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($308.92 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360P Silver Edition ARGB 45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($132.88 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC Black Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Alienware AW3420DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $1156.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 16:31 EST-0500

 

My Guest Room/Folks Build with most parts I would recycle from current build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Rosewill Thor ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Asus Designo MX279HS 27.0" 1920x1080 76 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $99.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 16:32 EST-0500

 

Let me know your advice or suggestions. I am all ears. If you need more information please let me know and again thank you for all the help.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SnickerinTurtles said:
Hello everyone,
First off let me start in advance by saying thank you for your help and advice. It is highly appreciated. I will admit I have not been keeping myself updated in the PC world and my knowledge is maybe outdated. I did try to do some research to update myself. So hopefully I am not a complete idiot. My budget is somewhere between $1000-$1500.
I am planning on upgrading/rehauling my current PC build. I made this build about 4 years ago. I plan on reusing some of the parts for my new build and recycling the rest of them for a 2nd computer, which will be my guest pc (in my guest room) or I will give it my folks or a friend. I would like to be smart about these purchases hence me asking the buildapc community. I really would like to make sure I am doing this right.
A little more background. Back in the day when I kept up with PC world I would play all my games on PC. And the only reason I switched to console was because my friends played on console instead of PC. So I am use to playing on my PS4 Pro, but I from what I understand my PC is more powerful than my PS4 Pro and I have been missing out all this time and with the new consoles basically being a PC or so I understand I would rather spend the money upgrading my current build. Plus all my friends are switching to PC now so it would make sense to switch back.
So what is the purpose of the 1st build (besides gaming)?
Well, I plan using for work and gaming. My work includes programs such as AutoCAD Civil 3D, Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), 3D rendering software such as Lumion, Unity, Sketch-Up etc. So as you can see heavy rendering and CAD is my main use for work. As for my gaming I like to play Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, GTA, Far Cry I think you get the picture. I would like to play these games on my 65" 4K HDR TV (Specific model:UN65KS800DF). I do understand there would be an input lag, but I won't be competitively gaming so this isn't a big concern. And if I want to play competitively I'd just play on the Alienware screen I have. I was hoping to create a build with a black and white parts with RGB lighting. I could be convinced to save my money or use it buy better parts, but I am sucker for RGB lighting and making things look fancy.
What is the purpose of the 2nd build?
The purpose of the 2nd build was to give to my folks or have a secondary PC in my guest room. If my want it they would use it for surfing the web and watching Youtube videos. They do not game or do anything else with their current computer I just thought it would be nice for them to have a better PC. If they do not want it then it will sit in my guest room for the guest to use. Maybe I use it as a secondary gaming pc for friends who come over and want to game with me.
So, without further ado here is my current build with other parts I own. As well a custom build for my build and the folks/guest room pc.
 
My Current Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC Black Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Rosewill Thor ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Alienware AW3420DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 16:29 EST-0500

 

Other Parts I own and plan on using these are still in the box unopened:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 16:31 EST-0500

 
My Suggested Build with some parts I already own and I what I would need to buy:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($308.92 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360P Silver Edition ARGB 45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($132.88 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC Black Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Alienware AW3420DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $1156.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 16:31 EST-0500

 

My Guest Room/Folks Build with most parts I would recycle from current build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Rosewill Thor ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Asus Designo MX279HS 27.0" 1920x1080 76 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $99.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 16:32 EST-0500

 

Let me know your advice or suggestions. I am all ears. If you need more information please let me know and again thank you for all the help.

The x470 Won't work with the 3rd gen ryzen processor, either get the b450 tomahawk MAX or a x570 board. You don't need such an expensive cooler unless you don't really care about money,a noctua D15 should do well. Otherwise good build


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

The x470 Won't work with the 3rd gen ryzen processor, either get the b450 tomahawk MAX or a x570 board. You don't need such an expensive cooler unless you don't really care about money,a noctua D15 should do well. Otherwise good build

Thanks I have been suggested the B450 Tomahawk a few times in other forums with an increase in RAM speed to 3600 and I know the cooler is expensive. I think it is for its RGB lighting but I could be wrong about that. Thanks for the speedy reply I really do appreciate your advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

Thanks I have been suggested the B450 Tomahawk a few times in other forums with an increase in RAM speed to 3600 and I know the cooler is expensive. I think it is for its RGB lighting but I could be wrong about that. Thanks for the speedy reply I really do appreciate your advice.

No problem! Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns, just make sure to quote me. No, the rgb isn't expensive, but the entire thing is. all that RGB has to it is a few 'dinky' lights that can look impressive if used properly (by the manufacturer, not you

)


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

Thanks I have been suggested the B450 Tomahawk a few times in other forums with an increase in RAM speed to 3600 and I know the cooler is expensive. I think it is for its RGB lighting but I could be wrong about that. Thanks for the speedy reply I really do appreciate your advice.

Also- If you are okay having a pc that you have to pay full price, EKWB's fluidgaming prebuilts are great options, for the quality, design, and well... water cooling. Full custom loop for a price that you'd expect for a crappy cyberpower with the same parts


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Also- If you are okay having a pc that you have to pay full price, EKWB's fluidgaming prebuilts are great options, for the quality, design, and well... water cooling. Full custom loop for a price that you'd expect for a crappy cyberpower with the same parts

Oh dang! I just took a quick look at these and holy moly they look amazing and have pretty amazing specs. Although, I'd have to cough up another 1000 bucks for one of these babies. Like you said full price, but dang they sure are pretty! Maybe when I go through my midlife crisis I will get one of these. For now I think I will stick to making my own. Though I could sell my pc and possibly buy one of these. How much do you think I could sell my pc for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
26 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

No problem! Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns, just make sure to quote me. No, the rgb isn't expensive, but the entire thing is. all that RGB has to it is a few 'dinky' lights that can look impressive if used properly (by the manufacturer, not you

)

I will admit I do like the look of the RGB lighting and I didn't see any pictures with RGB lighting with the cooler you suggested. Are there other coolers you'd suggest that are less expensive but still have the 3 x 120mm fans and the manufacturer does use properly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

Oh dang! I just took a quick look at these and holy moly they look amazing and have pretty amazing specs. Although, I'd have to cough up another 1000 bucks for one of these babies. Like you said full price, but dang they sure are pretty! Maybe when I go through my midlife crisis I will get one of these. For now I think I will stick to making my own. Though I could sell my pc and possibly buy one of these. How much do you think I could sell my pc for?

Used? Your current/old one? The pc? maybe 600. The setup? maybe 1k, but those are rough estimates. I will go through ebay and look a the used markets, and coem up with something 'reasonable' for the pc. I have tiem on my hands so I'll just go do that :)


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

I will admit I do like the look of the RGB lighting and I didn't see any pictures with RGB lighting with the cooler you suggested. Are there other coolers you'd suggest that are less expensive but still have the 3 x 120mm fans and the manufacturer does use properly?

no wait my bad; nevermind.


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

I will admit I do like the look of the RGB lighting and I didn't see any pictures with RGB lighting with the cooler you suggested. Are there other coolers you'd suggest that are less expensive but still have the 3 x 120mm fans and the manufacturer does use properly?

There are rgb coolers that are ~150 USD, But You should look into synchronization for maximum effect- what I mean is that you should look for a single software to controll your pc and peripherals. I'll be back in an hour or two, with prices.


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

I will admit I do like the look of the RGB lighting and I didn't see any pictures with RGB lighting with the cooler you suggested. Are there other coolers you'd suggest that are less expensive but still have the 3 x 120mm fans and the manufacturer does use properly?

There are rgb coolers that are ~150 USD, But You should look into synchronization for maximum effect- what I mean is that you should look for a single software to controll your pc and peripherals. I'll be back in an hour or two, with prices.


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

The x470 Won't work with the 3rd gen ryzen processor, either get the b450 tomahawk MAX or a x570 board. You don't need such an expensive cooler unless you don't really care about money,a noctua D15 should do well. Otherwise good build

it will work as long as the BIOS has been updated, which is most likely the case since it's nearly a year since the zen 2 BIOS got released. Also, he already has a ryzen 1700 so he can very much update the BIOS himself if it's not updated.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Biostar X370GT7 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
 

 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

I will admit I do like the look of the RGB lighting and I didn't see any pictures with RGB lighting with the cooler you suggested. Are there other coolers you'd suggest that are less expensive but still have the 3 x 120mm fans and the manufacturer does use properly?

Turns out I was high. The local prices I had were pretty competitive, and I sourced all the parts+ the monitor to be around $500 USD, streching it can go to perhaps $550-600, But I don't suggest you should price it that high if you were to sell it. 


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

I will admit I do like the look of the RGB lighting and I didn't see any pictures with RGB lighting with the cooler you suggested. Are there other coolers you'd suggest that are less expensive but still have the 3 x 120mm fans and the manufacturer does use properly?

Turns out I was high. The local prices I had were pretty competitive, and I sourced all the parts+ the monitor to be around $500 USD, streching it can go to perhaps $550-600, But I don't suggest you should price it that high if you were to sell it. 


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

He's building a 3700x system. He also said that his knowledge was somewhat outdated. In that case would you feel like updating the bios? This isn't a 'budget' build, and there are cheaper motherboards guaranteed to have support for third gen

I could update the bios. I have done it a few times with some other builds I have done in the past. If it having it update from a USB drive which is the way I have done it in the past I could it. I have had a couple of computers that let me update the bios via the Internet though I didn't trust it so I manually updated them anyways. So if I could update it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

I could update the bios. I have done it a few times with some other builds I have done in the past. If it having it update from a USB drive which is the way I have done it in the past I could it. I have had a couple of computers that let me update the bios via the Internet though I didn't trust it so I manually updated them anyways. So if I could update it.

Aright then. 


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Turns out I was high. The local prices I had were pretty competitive, and I sourced all the parts+ the monitor to be around $500 USD, streching it can go to perhaps $550-600, But I don't suggest you should price it that high if you were to sell it. 

Dang for my current build with my monitor I could only get 500 to 550? Damn, yeah I would much rather keep my current parts or at least my monitor and GPU, but yeah I was hoping to get more around 750 800 for just the PC. Dang. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
57 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

it will work as long as the BIOS has been updated, which is most likely the case since it's nearly a year since the zen 2 BIOS got released. Also, he already has a ryzen 1700 so he can very much update the BIOS himself if it's not updated.

Thanks for suggesting to update the bios does give me the opportunity to save some money here. Do appreciate the advice. I am all ears if you got more suggestions or thoughts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SnickerinTurtles said:

Thanks for suggesting to update the bios does give me the opportunity to save some money here. Do appreciate the advice. I am all ears if you got more suggestions or thoughts.

You can get a silicon power A80 or pioneer SE20G for less than the 860 evo and it'll run circles around it. You can use the money for an X570-P since it has better VRMs for overclocking. I'd recommend a bitfenix whisper over the toughpower.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Biostar X370GT7 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

You can get a silicon power A80 or pioneer SE20G for less than the 860 evo and it'll run circles around it. You can use the money for an X570-P since it has better VRMs for overclocking. I'd recommend a bitfenix whisper over the toughpower.

Got to admit I do like the pioneer SE20G and the X570-P seems like a better trade off than the 860evo and the X470. I'll have have to update my build and see what else could be adjusted. Thanks for your input it's been invaluable. Thank you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

There are rgb coolers that are ~150 USD, But You should look into synchronization for maximum effect- what I mean is that you should look for a single software to controll your pc and peripherals. I'll be back in an hour or two, with prices.

Was looking into software that could control the RGB lighting and I guess the other things I have that are related to the RGB lighting is my keyboard, mouse, headphones, mouse pad. All made my razer. My mouse is the mamba tournament edition with the 1st Gen Firefly hardcover mouse pad, razer karken Mercury edition, and the headstand for the head phone all these work through razer chroma application, so I guess it would be easier or advantageous to have parts that could sync with that. From what I found https://theinsatiablegamer.com/razer-chroma-lighting-platform-now-supported-by-25-brands-across-500-devices/ it would seem for the most part this would work. Correct, me if I am wrong or if there is a better program that you'd suggest. I should also mention I have tons of Philips hue lights bulbs and strips. I am interested in nano leaf but that would be something later down the line and so far I have stuck with Philips hue since it's where I started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So here is the new build from the suggestions so far. Again thank you Innerbeast and Herman Mcpootis for your advice and suggestions. 

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($308.89 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition 56.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Pioneer 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($133.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC Black Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Alienware AW3420DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $1097.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-22 01:12 EST-0500

 

I also checked the RBG lighting compatibility and it seems everything is compatible except for my motherboard. I believe this is the link to official list of brands that the razer chroma app works with (https://www.razer.com/chroma-workshop/connected-devices). 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×