Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrypticDan

Tips on reshaping ABS with heat gun.

Just now, CrypticDan said:

Thanks, I'll give that a go and see how I get on :)

One thing I would recommend is to heat from the interior casing if it does get too hot and there is a change in the surface finish it will be hidden on the inside of the unit. Of course you will want to do your best to prevent overheating. 

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm building a mini itx pc and using my Xbox 360 S as the case, it's almost finished, but the power connector bracket is causing the casing to bend slightly. The case is made out of ABS plastic so it should be relatively easy to bend with a heat gun right? The heat gun I have has 3 temperature settings, 50 °C, 450 °C and 600 °C, which one would work best?

I only need to reshape the plastic slightly (maybe 2mm of movement) to get the side panels to fit properly again. Bending the power connector bracket isn't an option as I don't want to risk screwing it up if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

Start low first and move up in temperature as needed but mostly it can be physically controlled by how fast and how close you move the heatgun to the surface. 

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

Start low first and move up in temperature as needed but mostly it can be physically controlled by how fast and how close you move the heatgun to the surface. 

Posted · Best Answer
Just now, CrypticDan said:

One thing I would recommend is to heat from the interior casing if it does get too hot and there is a change in the surface finish it will be hidden on the inside of the unit. Of course you will want to do your best to prevent overheating. 

ABS needs above 100 °C. So take the 450°C and tape the surrounding to protect it (if you have polyamid tape/kapton).

When white marks appear then it is to cold and you stressed the material.

On 2/21/2020 at 6:35 PM, James Evens said:

ABS needs above 100 °C. So take the 450°C and tape the surrounding to protect it (if you have polyamid tape/kapton).

When white marks appear then it is to cold and you stressed the material.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:07 PM, W-L said:

On 2/21/2020 at 1:41 PM, W-L said:

Just reshaped it, worked perfectly! Thanks for the tips :)