Upgrading case from Corsair 600C to O11 Dynamic

I Hendrycks I

Hey, I've had a Corsair 600C (the inverted case) for a while but I've been looking at the Lian Li O11 for a few years now. I've been looking at various videos and I find it hard to gauge how much better thermal performance I'll get out of it over my current case as my case is fairly old (2015) so testing methodology has changed at GamersNexus for instance.

Atm I have a 2070 Super that hits 80C at full load while OC'ed and a delidded 7700K @ 4.8GHz that hits 77C on a Kraken X62. I'm looking at grabbing either 3 LL 120's at first and another 3 later or possibly buying 6 all at once. I'm confused on how you're meant to connect them all up as well, I guess the easiest is to just get a Corsair Commander Pro to go along with the fans? I might also grab a Corsair AIO as I'd like everything to be synced in iCue but it seems like performance on even a 360mm rad isn't that much better or the same as my X62?

I'm also wondering if anyone has any tips on how to 'best' setup the O11 Dynamic and if the XL is worth it? I keep looking at various setups and videos on it but there doesn't seem to be a definite answer on a good fan setup over others. I'm also looking at grabbing a vertical GPU mount, I've seen that CoolerMaster's seems to be my best bet but I'm planning on upgrading to Nvidia's 3000 Series GPUs when they come out so I'm wary that they might be more than double slot cards?

I want this to be my main case for a good 5-10 years from now so a bump in price is negligible in years to come but I don't want to get a more expensive case just to have a huge area empty as I'm not doing a custom loop. I'm hoping that getting non-stock fans for the first time in a case will give a bit better thermal performance over what I'm used to. 

Thanks in advance!

43 minutes ago, I Hendrycks I said:

easiest is to just get a Corsair Commander Pro to go along with the fans

they do also come with lighting controllers (assuming you get the kit of 3)

I might also grab a Corsair AIO as I'd like everything to be synced in iCue but it seems like performance on even a 360mm rad isn't that much better or the same as my X62?

i wouldn't bother, your current AIO is fairly reasonable, unless you are completely uncomfortable with your CPU temps

I'm also wondering if anyone has any tips on how to 'best' setup the O11 Dynamic

i personally have 3 intake on the bottom, blowing on the GPU, 3 exaust on the side, and my AIO as intake in the top (the 3 gpu intake seems like it could be particularly useful in this instance)

possibly buying 6 all at once

wouldn't be the worst idea, although keeping in mind the LL series isn't particularly high airflow

if the XL is worth it?

from what i can tell, the main differences are better air cooler support (height clearance issues in the o11 non xl) and more 140mm fan mounts

i think thats everything

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

4 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

they do also come with lighting controllers (assuming you get the kit of 3)

i wouldn't bother, your current AIO is fairly reasonable, unless you are completely uncomfortable with your CPU temps

i personally have 3 intake on the bottom, blowing on the GPU, 3 exaust on the side, and my AIO as intake in the top (the 3 gpu intake seems like it could be particularly useful in this instance)

wouldn't be the worst idea, although keeping in mind the LL series isn't particularly high airflow

from what i can tell, the main differences are better air cooler support (height clearance issues in the o11 non xl) and more 140mm fan mounts

i think thats everything

Thanks for the reply!

I thought it was the Lightning Node Pro that came with the 3 pack that only controls a few LED strips each? And if I got 6 fans would I need to connect 2 of them to my motherboard instead of just 1 Commander Pro?

Which fans would you recommend? With a fish tank of a case I'd like to have sweet RGB fans if possible and I'm looking to move away from needing as much software running. I read that the ML's are better but the RGB is lackluster. I know Noctua is supposed to be awesome but would that need different software that wouldn't sync all my RGB together?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, I Hendrycks I said:

I thought it was the Lightning Node Pro that came with the 3 pack that only controls a few LED strips each? And if I got 6 fans would I need to connect 2 of them to my motherboard instead of just 1 Commander Pro?

there is the lighting node pro, which has 2 connections, and then there is the lighting hub which has 6 connections which connects to the node pro

4 minutes ago, I Hendrycks I said:

I know Noctua is supposed to be awesome but would that need different software that wouldn't sync all my RGB together?

as of right now, Noctua does not have any RGB fans, however it wouldn't be terrible to go half and half with your fans; half RGB, for say side exaust, and then half regular, high quality fans at bottom intake for your GPU. or,  you could also take only a minor hit on RGB and do ML120 RGB fans on the bottom as well

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

7 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

there is the lighting node pro, which has 2 connections, and then there is the lighting hub which has 6 connections which connects to the node pro

as of right now, Noctua does not have any RGB fans, however it wouldn't be terrible to go half and half with your fans; half RGB, for say side exaust, and then half regular, high quality fans at bottom intake for your GPU. or,  you could also take only a minor hit on RGB and do ML120 RGB fans on the bottom as well

Ah I thought Noctua did, I must be crazy. Would 3 side exhaust not show the ugly cross bracing of the fans as opposed to the clean side? I'm thinking of doing the AIO on the side as intake and exhaust at the bottom? I know heat rises but I heard that the fan airflow practically negates that. Are the ML's that much better than the LL's? Like are we talking vastly better airflow to the effect of 10C cooler or is it negligible at best? The LL120 3-pack is $120 CAD while the ML's are $150 :/

I'd also like to replace the NZXT fans with LL's or something else but again find it hard to quantify the difference in performance of various fans on a Rad in particular. I'm wondering how much of a cooling improvement I'd see overall with 6 fans and the new case? For 6 LL fans and the non-XL case it's around $410 CAD before tax.