hard disk problem

Ahmedelgohary94

i've installed Linux on a spare hard drive along with win 10 on ssd

when i log into linux it shows a problem with hard drive when i open disks i got this error log

is there a way to solve it?

86871766_1278033439059737_5248134634788618240_o.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ahmedelgohary94 said:

when i log into linux it shows a problem with hard drive when i open disks i got this error log

So, what's the question?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Reallocated sectors on a HDD is often a sign of a surely failing drive. Have you checked SMART using other tools like CrystalDiskInfo? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X; GPU: MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z; MoBo: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX; RAM: TForce Delta TUF RGB 3200MHz (2x8) 16GB; 

Case: CoolerMaster MB511 RGB TG; PSU: Seasonic Prime FX Gold 750W Fully Modular; CPU Cooling: Cooler Master MA620P; Storage: WD Blue 250GB SATA SSD & Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM; Monitor: MSI MAG241C 144Hz Curved Gaming Panel; Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Brown); Mouse: Fantech X11 Daredevil   

Yeah, use another hard drive

Run WD's Data Lifeguard  Diagnostic tool (works with any brand hard drive, not just WD ones) : https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3&lang=en

Copy the data you care about somewhere safe then use the ERASE function in the software to erase the whole drive - it will force the controller to retest all those failed sectors and also check the surface on the rest of the drive.

After it's done and you reboot the machine (better to shut down completely and start pc) the SMART info will be updated and you'll see if those sectors are just a fluke or something serious (rarely but it can happen for a bad sata cable or power fluctuations to fool the drive into thinking it's bad sectors)

If only the relocated sector count number continues to change, it may be a sign of a weak area on the disk platters.  In that case you could continue to use that drive by making it avoid reading and writing data from that area.

You can use a software like HDTune to scan the surface and it will tell you where those reallocated sectors are physically located.

If those sectors are all in a small area of the drive, you could create multiple partitions and isolate that area in a small partition.

For example, if you have a 2 TB drive and the problem sectors are at 950-960 GB, you could have 3 partitions : 0 .. 920 GB, 920..980 GB and 980 GB ...2000 GB  .... give drive letters to 1st and 3rd and leave that 60 GB partition without a drive letter. That middle partition has a buffer of around 20 GB in both directions which should be a few tracks on that platter, around the weak area. You can make it larger if you want, but about 4..5% (5% of 2000 GB is 100 GB) would be a reasonable number.

32 minutes ago, VenomizerX said:

Reallocated sectors on a HDD is often a sign of a surely failing drive. Have you checked SMART using other tools like CrystalDiskInfo? 

image.png.b261b961d31a5cd0976ad3dc16853b40.png

39 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

So, what's the question?

how to solve it?

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, use another hard drive

Run WD's Data Lifeguard  Diagnostic tool (works with any brand hard drive, not just WD ones) : https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3&lang=en

Copy the data you care about somewhere safe then use the ERASE function in the software to erase the whole drive - it will force the controller to retest all those failed sectors and also check the surface on the rest of the drive.

After it's done and you reboot the machine (better to shut down completely and start pc) the SMART info will be updated and you'll see if those sectors are just a fluke or something serious (rarely but it can happen for a bad sata cable or power fluctuations to fool the drive into thinking it's bad sectors)

If only the relocated sector count number continues to change, it may be a sign of a weak area on the disk platters.  In that case you could continue to use that drive by making it avoid reading and writing data from that area.

You can use a software like HDTune to scan the surface and it will tell you where those reallocated sectors are physically located.

If those sectors are all in a small area of the drive, you could create multiple partitions and isolate that area in a small partition.

For example, if you have a 2 TB drive and the problem sectors are at 950-960 GB, you could have 3 partitions : 0 .. 920 GB, 920..980 GB and 980 GB ...2000 GB  .... give drive letters to 1st and 3rd and leave that 60 GB partition without a drive letter. That middle partition has a buffer of around 20 GB in both directions which should be a few tracks on that platter, around the weak area. You can make it larger if you want, but about 4..5% (5% of 2000 GB is 100 GB) would be a reasonable number.

i'll reformat it as NTFS to be mountable by windows 10 and i'll give it a try

16 minutes ago, Ahmedelgohary94 said:

i'll reformat it as NTFS to be mountable by windows 10 and i'll give it a try

Use the ERASE feature from that WD tool ... it will erase all partitions

You can then make a partition or more and format them 

1 hour ago, Ahmedelgohary94 said:

how to solve it?

You throw the drive out the window and buy a new one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

Use the ERASE feature from that WD tool ... it will erase all partitions

You can then make a partition or more and format them 

image.png.2c5961fe6b395a2bee1e08f244448f33.png

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

You throw the drive out the window and buy a new one.

this is an out of the box solution ??

there is no solution, that's a failing HDD, from now on it will be always unreliable till it dies :(

Yep had the same problem with a 8 year old hitachi drive and had to ditch it whereas my 11 year old samsung drive still lives on. That's the thing with drives. You never know when they will fail and the best solution for a failing drive is to migrate your data to a new drive. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X; GPU: MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z; MoBo: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX; RAM: TForce Delta TUF RGB 3200MHz (2x8) 16GB; 

Case: CoolerMaster MB511 RGB TG; PSU: Seasonic Prime FX Gold 750W Fully Modular; CPU Cooling: Cooler Master MA620P; Storage: WD Blue 250GB SATA SSD & Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM; Monitor: MSI MAG241C 144Hz Curved Gaming Panel; Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Brown); Mouse: Fantech X11 Daredevil