How to move all data on primary drive to new drive

machinima811
Go to solution Solved by Ichoumaz,
1 minute ago, machinima811 said:

Yes

alright, unplug your old drive, install windows into your new drive, turn off your pc, plug your old drive back in, load into bios, set the boot options so that windows boots from your new drive, confirm, save and restart, once you are up and running, just copy and paste the files you want and go to a party or enjoy the outdoors, cause its gonna take forever to copy all of those files to the new drive if its a hard drive, 800gb is alot of NSFW memes XD, so its gonna take a while, once its done, and you have confirmed and checked that everything is there, wipe the old drive clean if you dont want to keep the files as back up

I got a new 4tb HDD and I want to move all my files from my old drive to my new one so it can be my new primary drive.
I want the whole drive empty so I can use it to build a family PC

old 1TB drive is my C:/
New 4TB drive is my E:/

Is there a safe way to do this, considering the OS and boot instructions are on C:/ ?
image.png.8f5035427c35d1f9105e9192ac9d5304.png

I got a new 4tb HDD and I want to move all my files from my old drive to my new one so it can be my new primary drive.
I want the whole drive empty so I can use it to build a family PC

old 1TB drive is my C:/
New 4TB drive is my E:/

Is there a safe way to do this, considering the OS and boot instructions are on C:/ ?
image.png.8f5035427c35d1f9105e9192ac9d5304.png

do you also want to make the 4tb drive as your boot drive or no?

4 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

do you also want to make the 4tb drive as your boot drive or no?

Yes

Yes

alright, unplug your old drive, install windows into your new drive, turn off your pc, plug your old drive back in, load into bios, set the boot options so that windows boots from your new drive, confirm, save and restart, once you are up and running, just copy and paste the files you want and go to a party or enjoy the outdoors, cause its gonna take forever to copy all of those files to the new drive if its a hard drive, 800gb is alot of NSFW memes XD, so its gonna take a while, once its done, and you have confirmed and checked that everything is there, wipe the old drive clean if you dont want to keep the files as back up

13 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

Thanks for your help. Will probably do it overnight I suppose

You don't use SSD?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You don't use SSD?

i like reliable storage, no thank you
considering its $150 for 1 Terabyte of SSD Storage, I will save my wallet for something more important, like... RGB
Edit: my 4TB 7500RPM 256Mb Cache HDD was  only $109.95CAD for reference

Edited by machinima811

SSD is reliable and a must for todays pc.

You don't have to use 1tb, 256gb is enough if you can manage the space efficiently.

If i were you, i install windows on ssd and have the hdd for storage only.

Using 4tb as a boot drive will be very slow, even the cheapest ssd would easily outperform it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w