No sound HDMI after GPU install

Dustin 2812

Msi b450 Tomahawk max motherboard.  Ryzen 3 3200g CPU.  Had HDMI plugged to motherboard and had sound.  I just installed a R9 380 GPU and plugged HDMI into it and no sound anymore.   Driving me crazy.  Any help.  

12 minutes ago, Dustin 2812 said:

Msi b450 Tomahawk max motherboard.  Ryzen 3 3200g CPU.  Had HDMI plugged to motherboard and had sound.  I just installed a R9 380 GPU and plugged HDMI into it and no sound anymore.   Driving me crazy.  Any help.  

No sound on the monitor / tv or no sound on the pc at all?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

10 minutes ago, Kanna said:

No sound on the monitor / tv or no sound on the pc at all?

No sound on the tv

23 minutes ago, Dustin 2812 said:

If you're using the correct GPU drivers Click the Speaker in the red box then the triangle thing near the arrow and in that list select the new GPU.

Screenshot_31.png

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

If you're using the correct GPU drivers Click the Speaker in the red box then the triangle thing near the arrow and in that list select the new GPU.

Screenshot_31.png

Mine has an x.   Says no speakers are installed

2 minutes ago, Dustin 2812 said:

Mine has an x.   Says no speakers are installed

Have you installed the latest drivers?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-300-series/amd-radeon-r9-380

Or better yet, go into Device manager find the R9 and right click it and then "update driver".

1 minute ago, Dustin 2812 said:

Yes.  Adrenaline has been downloaded and installed

Yeah i found this old thread about not having sound with latest drivers, but they arent the same as the on i linked. https://community.amd.com/thread/186393
But i dont know any other solution at the moment, probably someone else will jump in.

I also was in device manager and don't see AMD HD sound installed anywhere!   Should I? I installed adrenaline 2 different times and still nothing.   Just the realteck hd audio

17 hours ago, Dustin 2812 said:

Un install any Audio devices in Device manager, scan for new HW.

In the driver package for the GPU, run it in custom mode and see if you are able to choose just HD Audio to install.

im having the same issue! just installed a new xfx 5700 and its not installed the hdmi audio drivers. its only detecting my old audio jacks from the back of the mobo. my old r9 290 was just plug and play the hdmi automatically came with audio. I cudnt find an option for custom mode as i was looking for ir as i juts reinstalled 20.2.1 again to see if it picked hdmi audio up this time. really annoying. troubleshoot finds no audio

Ok.  I'm getting somewhere!!    I uninstalled the GPU from the system and plugged HDMI back to the motherboard.  Audio was back with option to toggle between speakers and monitor.  AMD HD audio back in device manager.   I have 2 pci-e x16 slots.  One is 2.0 and one is 3.0.   I put the GPU back in but in the 2.0 slot this time.  IT WORKED!!!!   Problem is that slot is at bottom of the case and leaves no air flow ( like only 1/4 inch from bottom).  What should I do now?!?!?

Just now, Dustin 2812 said:

Ok.  I'm getting somewhere!!    I uninstalled the GPU from the system and plugged HDMI back to the motherboard.  Audio was back with option to toggle between speakers and monitor.  AMD HD audio back in device manager.   I have 2 pci-e x16 slots.  One is 2.0 and one is 3.0.   I put the GPU back in but in the 2.0 slot this time.  IT WORKED!!!!   Problem is that slot is at bottom of the case and leaves no air flow ( like only 1/4 inch from bottom).  What should I do now?!?!?

Try it again in the other slot of course.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I did.   Sound is gone.  No monitor option and Amd hd audio gone in device manager.  For some reason it won't work with sound in the pci-e 3.0 slot

11 hours ago, Dustin 2812 said:

Even if it is 1/4 inches, that is enough gap for air intake, which is what the fans do.

Can you see what the difference is between the 2 slots in BIOS? If you can see if you can replicate the lower slot config on the top slot, and test.

Fixed. 

1.Install a clean windows 10 from usb

2. Run free driver booster 7 and use all drivers it selects including generic GPU and audio etc.

3. Amd high Def audio should now become an option again.

4. Install latest amd GPU driver again and pray amd audio doesn't dissapear

For some reason even after that IV been left with no audio out from the jack's on mobo or front panel. They used to work at some point 

1 hour ago, The_Geek said:

Even if it is 1/4 inches, that is enough gap for air intake, which is what the fans do.

Can you see what the difference is between the 2 slots in BIOS? If you can see if you can replicate the lower slot config on the top slot, and test.

I would I go about doing that?   Sorry, I'm very new to this!  Lol.  Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

I put an older Nvidia card in the pci-e 3.0 slot and audio works!!   The r9 380 works on the pci-e 2.0 slot but no audio in 3.0 slot.  It's an issue with the r9 380 in a pci-e 3.0 slot.   ANY SUGGESTIONS NOW!!!  Lol.  I'm going crazy!

• 1 month later...

Hey there, how are you?

I have the same issue here, in my case I use ATI R9 280X, My motherboard is AM320 A pro vesion, so, I installed win10 from scratch, hdmi on board working well but hdmi in gpu card is not able to reproduce audio.

Could you please tell me if this issue is related to pci-e?

Thanks!