Help please, computer won't boot after installing new CPU cooler. Complete details in the post. Pls help.

tjeco23

To start off here's my pc specs

• Ryzen 5 3400G

• MSI B450M Mortar Max

• No GPU

• Coolermaster TUF 650w Bronze Semi Modular

• Corsair 2x 8GB RGB Pro

After I installed the new cooler (Deepcool Gammax GTE V2) the computer won't start.

Here's what's happening. No monitor display, keyboard/mouse won't light up. BUT all the case fans and the cpu fan are running just fine. Mobo led lights are lighting up as well, RAM rgb is lighting too.

• Does this mean the cpu is done for but the mobo is just fine? I then removed the new cooler and the CPU.

By this point I noticed one of the CPU pins is bent.

BUT still even if one of pins is bent. I still reinstalled the cpu and the stock fan (made sure the CPU orientation is correct) and the computer booted up just fine for whatever reason (yay! for now)

But sadly. I restarted the computer now it won't start again, same thing is happening (All fans and rgb lights lighting up/no monitor display, keyboard/mouse not lighting up)

By this point I noticed the EZ Debug is lighting up the cpu indicator, which could mean the cpu is not detected or failed (according to the manual)

Tried entering safe mode, tried entering BIOS. Nada.

Tried reseating both RAM, tried starting the PC with 1 RAM in the correct 2nd slot. Still nothing.

What should I do, do I replace the CPU? Which is fine since I'm due for an upgrade, but it still hurts. Or is the MOBO fried as well, which is definitely NOT GOOD. Definitely not good.

It might be your CPU since one of the pins is bent. Is there any way you can test this? Do you have another Ryzen CPU around that you can use to test if the board works?

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

b

20 minutes ago, tjeco23 said:

To start off here's my pc specs

• Ryzen 5 3400G

• MSI B450M Mortar Max

• No GPU

• Coolermaster TUF 650w Bronze Semi Modular

• Corsair 2x 8GB RGB Pro

After I installed the new cooler (Deepcool Gammax GTE V2) the computer won't start.

Here's what's happening. No monitor display, keyboard/mouse won't light up. BUT all the case fans and the cpu fan are running just fine. Mobo led lights are lighting up as well, RAM rgb is lighting too.

• Does this mean the cpu is done for but the mobo is just fine? I then removed the new cooler and the CPU.

By this point I noticed one of the CPU pins is bent.

BUT still even if one of pins is bent. I still reinstalled the cpu and the stock fan (made sure the CPU orientation is correct) and the computer booted up just fine for whatever reason (yay! for now)

But sadly. I restarted the computer now it won't start again, same thing is happening (All fans and rgb lights lighting up/no monitor display, keyboard/mouse not lighting up)

By this point I noticed the EZ Debug is lighting up the cpu indicator, which could mean the cpu is not detected or failed (according to the manual)

Tried entering safe mode, tried entering BIOS. Nada.

Tried reseating both RAM, tried starting the PC with 1 RAM in the correct 2nd slot. Still nothing.

What should I do, do I replace the CPU? Which is fine since I'm due for an upgrade, but it still hurts. Or is the MOBO fried as well, which is definitely NOT GOOD. Definitely not good.

by the sound of it, it seems that there is a difference in mounting pressure, and since you have a bent pin, the old cooler or the amount of pressure it was putting on the cpu was the right amount for that bent pin to be making a good enough contact in the socket, and now since you changed the cooler, your mounting pressure changed and maybe that pin isnt making proper contact ( this is all hypothetical, just throwing possible reasons why this is happening), if you are able to secure another ryzen cpu to test it, it can confirm if the issue is caused by the cpu or the motherboard, and since you want to upgrade, and it happens to be that the cpu is borked, i would try and bend the pin back into place, since you got nothing to lose if you are buying a new one anyways, try and fix it before buying a new one and you might save a buc or two.

24 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

b

by the sound of it, it seems that there is a difference in mounting pressure, and since you have a bent pin, the old cooler or the amount of pressure it was putting on the cpu was the right amount for that bent pin to be making a good enough contact in the socket, and now since you changed the cooler, your mounting pressure changed and maybe that pin isnt making proper contact ( this is all hypothetical, just throwing possible reasons why this is happening), if you are able to secure another ryzen cpu to test it, it can confirm if the issue is caused by the cpu or the motherboard, and since you want to upgrade, and it happens to be that the cpu is borked, i would try and bend the pin back into place, since you got nothing to lose if you are buying a new one anyways, try and fix it before buying a new one and you might save a buc or two.

But good chance the Mobo is still working? I really don't want to change the Mobo

14 minutes ago, tjeco23 said:

But good chance the Mobo is still working? I really don't want to change the Mobo

yes, if the pin is bent, its most likely the cpu, since the pin is on the cpu and not the mobo, good thing you were running an amd cpu and not an intel cpu in this case

2 hours ago, Xiee said:

It might be your CPU since one of the pins is bent. Is there any way you can test this? Do you have another Ryzen CPU around that you can use to test if the board works?

I don't have another CPU to test this with, would that be the only way to test if the board still works? Putting another Ryzen CPU to test it with?