Help Building a Home server

Hello I'm using some parts i have around to build a new home server. I'm just wondering of the parts I'm using are good for file sharing, Plex and backup.  I'm thinking of using Unraid. And do i need the GPU or can i get rid of the old thing? :)

39 minutes ago, Skippyo said:

I'm thinking of using Unraid

i dont know what's with people wanting to use unraid for everything.. just use some flavour of linux with a webUI, or whatever other flavour of linux and dont use a webUI.

if you dont specificly need unraid's featureset, you shouldnt be spending the license cost.

that said.. few considerations here, hardware wise:

- if it's just file sharing and plex, that cpu is WAAAAY overkill, just so you know ;)

- yes, you will need the gpu, a computer cannot boot without a display output.

- i'm not entirely sure about your hard drive choice, if you run raid0 or jbod you'll have no redundancy, if you run raid1 you lose half your storage. i'd suggest a 3-drive or 4-drive setup in raid5 (or software alternative similar to).

Thank you so there is no good reason for me to move from ubuntu server? to be hones the reason i want unraid is to get easy setup for cache but to be fair haven looked at doing it in ubuntu server :)

And ye the cpu is nice got it free because of bent pins ;) 

2 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

You can't have fileshare plex and backup in one system. then there is no backup at all.

I have backup over the internet to a friend house but i want to accumulate everything from my devises to my local server to send it from one place. 

16 minutes ago, Skippyo said:

Thank you so there is no good reason for me to move from ubuntu server? to be hones the reason i want unraid is to get easy setup for cache but to be fair haven looked at doing it in ubuntu server :)

And ye the cpu is nice got it free because of bent pins ;) 

the only reason i'd find unraid interesting, is because its appareantly just about the easiest way to get gpu passtrough into VMs to work.

For a home server, noise levels, power consumption and expandability are important, so I'd suggest the Jetway JNF9W-2930 Fanless Bay Trail 12V DC Thin-ITX Board. Note this needs an external power brick, not a standard ATX PSU and SODIMM DDR3L RAM. It'll save considerably on your budget, as you don't need a PSU, GPU and separate CPU cooler besides the obvious CPU and mainboard combo. It also allows for a smaller case (=often cheaper) unless you want full advantage of the 4 SATA ports. In fact, using the savings mentioned before, you can get a 3rd harddrive to mount in a RAID5 instead of a RAID1. This instantly doubles the available storage capacity while maintaining redundancy.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)