Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davloss

Hi LTT! & Thoughts On My Build?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello LTT!

 

I've been watching the YouTube channel for several years now but just found my way on to this forum. I'm excited to get involved with the community!

 

I was wondering if you all had input or recommendations for my build? Current specs are below.

 

Games I (would) like to be able to play on high/max settings include Battlefield V, Star War Jedi: Fallen Order, and The Witcher 3. For the most part I can handle these, but there are some occasional big stutters (especially with BFV) that I would love to avoid.

 

I don't have a specific budget for upgrades, but I'd like to keep the whole build under $3000. I'm new to pc builds (had my friend help me assemble my current rig) and am still not quite sure what bottlenecks are on my system. What should be my first upgrades?

 

I've priced the everything out to what I think should be around $1500 (including peripherals). Is this a reasonable price for the general level of parts I have? (No need for specifics)

 

Any and all thoughts (criticisms, suggestions, concerns, etc.) are appreciated!

 

Computer Specs

CPU: i7 3770k (with water cooler)

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070TI SC 8GB (not overclocked--yet)

RAM: 16 GB (4x4)

MOBO: Asus z77

SSD: 500 GB + 128 GB

HD: 1 TB (x2)

+

Monitor: 27" QHD 2560 x 1440 at 144 Hz with GSYNC (Dell S2716DGR) (Maybe a poor purchase because it's TN but I've had no complaints)

 

Please let me know if more information would be helpful!

Link to post
Share on other sites

First thing first, which power supply are you using right now? (Model Number) Or you don't know? If you dont know the exact model, what's the brand of it and the wattage rated?

I would first upgrade your CPU, as any higher GPU will be bottleneck by your CPU to some degree.

Other than that, your PC is standing strong. I would just change CPU, GPU, and Power supply to pair with a more powerful GPU.

 

So the list of things I think you should upgrade are: CPU, Motherboard, RAM (DDR4, your current one is DDR3), GPU, PSU.

 

As to which brand you should go for for CPU and GPU, that all depends on how much you want to spend. Your budget is 3k, but you might not want to spend 3k.

If you are using your system purely for gaming, go to Intel and grab yourself 2080 super. I advice against getting a 2080ti as that card is 2 years old. If you are looking for the top of the line power, I would advice waiting for Nvidia Ampere.

AMD Radeon RX 5700XT are also good value cards. But with the current state, you have to be okay with troubleshooting when needed.

(Not saying all AMD cards are buggy, but if you want plug and play, go with Nvidia.)

If you are using your system for anything else but gaming, go with AMD.

 

Most people would advice AMD as it is highly more versatile with its more cores and better value.

I have 2 machines, one Intel and one AMD. One for gaming one for work.

 

With 3k, you can build a PC stronger than my own. I can throw you a list if you desire, but you choose where you want your money to be spent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Davloss said:

I've priced the everything out to what I think should be around $1500

USD?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
29 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

First thing first, which power supply are you using right now? (Model Number) Or you don't know? If you dont know the exact model, what's the brand of it and the wattage rated?

I would first upgrade your CPU, as any higher GPU will be bottleneck by your CPU to some degree.

Other than that, your PC is standing strong. I would just change CPU, GPU, and Power supply to pair with a more powerful GPU.

 

So the list of things I think you should upgrade are: CPU, Motherboard, RAM (DDR4, your current one is DDR3), GPU, PSU.

 

As to which brand you should go for for CPU and GPU, that all depends on how much you want to spend. Your budget is 3k, but you might not want to spend 3k.

If you are using your system purely for gaming, go to Intel and grab yourself 2080 super. I advice against getting a 2080ti as that card is 2 years old. If you are looking for the top of the line power, I would advice waiting for Nvidia Ampere.

AMD Radeon RX 5700XT are also good value cards. But with the current state, you have to be okay with troubleshooting when needed.

(Not saying all AMD cards are buggy, but if you want plug and play, go with Nvidia.)

If you are using your system for anything else but gaming, go with AMD.

 

Most people would advice AMD as it is highly more versatile with its more cores and better value.

I have 2 machines, one Intel and one AMD. One for gaming one for work.

 

With 3k, you can build a PC stronger than my own. I can throw you a list if you desire, but you choose where you want your money to be spent.

Thank you! This is super helpful. I don't know my PSU off the top of my head but I'll check it out (I'm not currently in the country so that'll be a little ways down the line). I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration--a list of parts would be very appreciated. And do you recommend any websites specifically for selling my current pc parts aside from Ebay? I don't have a need/use for a second computer right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 3770k is 8 years old, that's by far your "weakest" component. I'd recommend doing a platform upgrade, AMD Ryzen is where it's at right now not only in terms of price to performance but also future upgradeability with AM4. The 1070ti is still a strong card and it's 100% your CPU that is holding you back, once you get that upgraded to lets say a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB of 3600mhz ram you will be much better off. But in my opinion the first and most beneficial upgrade would be a new CPU/platform.


Main Desktop: Cpu - I9-9900k @5ghz | Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Gpu - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 G3 | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

 

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

 

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The 3770k is 8 years old, that's by far your "weakest" component. I'd recommend doing a platform upgrade, AMD Ryzen is where it's at right now not only in terms of price to performance but also future upgradeability with AM4. The 1070ti is still a strong card and it's 100% your CPU that is holding you back, once you get that upgraded to lets say a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB of 3600mhz ram you will be much better off. But in my opinion the first and most beneficial upgrade would be a new CPU/platform.

Very good to know! Thank you.

 

Yes I understand that that is quite an old CPU and it definitely needs an upgrade. Do you think going top of the line for a new cpu would be worth it? I understand that "future-proofing" isn't totally real but I'd love to buy a CPU and have it stay relevant (aka not a bottleneck) for several years to come. I'm not too familiar with AMD CPUs vs Intel but in the price to performance contest I prefer performance a bit. Does Intel give an edge or is AMD really the way to go now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Davloss said:

Very good to know! Thank you.

 

Yes I understand that that is quite an old CPU and it definitely needs an upgrade. Do you think going top of the line for a new cpu would be worth it? I understand that "future-proofing" isn't totally real but I'd love to buy a CPU and have it stay relevant (aka not a bottleneck) for several years to come. I'm not too familiar with AMD CPUs vs Intel but in the price to performance contest I prefer performance a bit. Does Intel give an edge or is AMD really the way to go now?

I am currently a student, so I got rid of most of my parts via schools network. You could try Facebook market, or Craiglist for local buyers.

 

As for the lists, give me a min.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Davloss said:

Thank you! This is super helpful. I don't know my PSU off the top of my head but I'll check it out (I'm not currently in the country so that'll be a little ways down the line). I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration--a list of parts would be very appreciated. And do you recommend any websites specifically for selling my current pc parts aside from Ebay? I don't have a need/use for a second computer right now.

AMD CPU, Nvidia GPU:

 

Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU:

 

 

 

 

These two are the builds I would build if it was for me.

If you happen to choose 5700XT (AMD GPU), it would cost $100 cheaper.

Which can also be said about the CPU cooler, I choose AIO for Intel and air cooler for AMD.

 

The rest of the parts, as you can see, stayed the same.

The only parts that are different between the two are CPU, motherboard, and cooler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/21/2020 at 1:23 AM, Pikatchu said:

AMD CPU, Nvidia GPU:

 

Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU:

 

 

 

 

These two are the builds I would build if it was for me.

If you happen to choose 5700XT (AMD GPU), it would cost $100 cheaper.

Which can also be said about the CPU cooler, I choose AIO for Intel and air cooler for AMD.

 

The rest of the parts, as you can see, stayed the same.

The only parts that are different between the two are CPU, motherboard, and cooler.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, if its just for gaming and the odd project, a 3700x is total overkill. You'd be fine with a 3600. It really depends on what you're going to use it for. I'm all about leapfrogging my upgrades so I don't have to buy everything all at once. I'm doing graphics this year, CPU/mobo next year. In your case, the 1070ti is still a decent card, so I'm tempted to say, swap for a good B450 mobo, some fast (3200mHz +) RAM, and the aforementioned R5 3600. 

 

If you're looking to max out performance... (bang for budget)

 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CJ6WJb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($211.15 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($152.80 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($95.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($693.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($103.49 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1510.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-23 21:45 EST-0500

 

For giggles I also swapped out the GPU for a 2080ti....

 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($1053.98 @ Newegg) 

Total: $1870.37

 

Not a bad way to spend 2g.


"Quicksilver" Build Thread - Painted InWin303 | i7-6700K | MSI Z170A M-Power Gaming Titanium | MSI GTX 1070 Ti DUKE | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LED Ram 3000mHz| 6x Corsair HD 120mm Fans | Corsair Commander Pro 

Seasonic G-Series 750W Gold PSU | Darkside Carbon Cables | Darkside Slim 360 Rad | Darkside 12mm Fittings | Aquacomputer Aqualis 150 DDC Reservoir | Barrow PWM DDC pump | Barrow CPU Block | Barrow Flow Indicator

 

"Watermelon" (Daughter) Build Thread - Painted Fractal Design Focus G | Gigabyte GA-H85-D3H | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 16gb Crucial DDR3L 1600mHz | 3x Enermax White Twister 120mm fans | 3x Enermax White Cluster 120mm Fans

Enermax ETS-T40-WC Air Cooler | eVGA 750G1 750W Gold PSU | Bitfenix Recon Fan Controller

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×