Usb is stuck in readonly unless root and mostly terminal

Snowarch

I had an iso for ubuntu install cd on the flashdrive, so i wiped it using terminal program fdisk. it worked flawlessly once, however this time it wiped, but 2 issues. my file manager says its read only when drag and dropping, but i can format it as many times as needed. Even tho i need my root password to make the iso file go back on with startup disk creator. 

the root pass to mske an iso wouldnt be too bad, however i have only one usb, so i need to do this

1. wipe usb/flashdrive

2. put bios file on flashdrive

3. install that on other pc then wipe again

put install iso on and hope it actually starts starts the installer this time

can't copy paste paste via terminal, will say "access denied" and when i try to change the properties to can read and write for all groups, it puts back to read only. so my question is, how do i make the flashdrive writable in a way it'll work normally? and if there is a way to make it normal, how would i make it fat32? bios updating guide for asrock says fat32, but linux formats it to fat/msdos. will this work if so forget the second part of the question.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

7 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

I had an iso for ubuntu install cd on the flashdrive, so i wiped it using terminal program fdisk. it worked flawlessly once, however this time it wiped, but 2 issues. my file manager says its read only when drag and dropping, but i can format it as many times as needed. Even tho i need my root password to make the iso file go back on with startup disk creator. 

the root pass to mske an iso wouldnt be too bad, however i have only one usb, so i need to do this

1. wipe usb/flashdrive

2. put bios file on flashdrive

3. install that on other pc then wipe again

put install iso on and hope it actually starts starts the installer this time

can't copy paste paste via terminal, will say "access denied" and when i try to change the properties to can read and write for all groups, it puts back to read only. so my question is, how do i make the flashdrive writable in a way it'll work normally? and if there is a way to make it normal, how would i make it fat32? bios updating guide for asrock says fat32, but linux formats it to fat/msdos. will this work if so forget the second part of the question.

It sounds like the partition has a read-only flag set. You don't have anything on it, so your best bet is to rewrite the MBR and start fresh. Are you running Windows or Linux?

If Windows, then open an Admin command prompt and do this (let me know if something doesn't look right, going from memory here).

Be careful, you can wipe your system drive if you make a mistake.

DISKPART

LIST DISK

(look for the USB device, size is the key)

SELECT DISK 1 (or whatever number the USB drive is)

CLEAN

CREATE PART PRIM

LIST PART

SELECT PART 1 (make sure the size looks correct for your USB)

FORMAT FS=EXFAT QUICK

EXIT

EXIT

Should be good.

sorry running ubuntu

main rig:

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

backup

4 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

sorry running ubuntu

You should be able to do the same thing with fisk and mkfs commands, but I have only used that a few times myself and would need a reference guide. 

Checkout this page: https://www.tecmint.com/fdisk-commands-to-manage-linux-disk-partitions/

Probably also possible to list all the file-system and partition flags and clear the read-only bit, but again, something I have done maybe once in Linux and that was years ago.

strange, mkfs also made it msdos instead of fat32, and Will any of this make it writeable for non root? i can format with gui for some reason but still read only for gui, root/sudo su writable.

main rig:

backup

On 2/20/2020 at 6:37 PM, Snowarch said:

strange, mkfs also made it msdos instead of fat32, and Will any of this make it writeable for non root? i can format with gui for some reason but still read only for gui, root/sudo su writable.

So I've had a look at the above post and it seems to be missing the specific command.

When doing the file system, you need to do "mkfs.fat -F 32 /dev/partition" according to the arch wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FAT) to get a fat32 file system.

okay thanks. will try that.

main rig:

backup

well, I have a windows7 vm, but can't see the usb ports so... Not sure.

main rig:

backup