Need help combining Pihole and RaspAP

The former is used to run a local DNS that implements ad-blocking functionality,

the latter is used to create an Access point for my smart home device(s) that relays communication to my router via wire and allows me to get more control over the transmitted data.

They conflict on their use of dnsmasq and idk how to consolidate them. If I try and restart pihole while RaspAP is running I unsuprisingly get

Feb 20 15:08:08 raspberrypi pihole-FTL[7983]: dnsmasq: cannot open or create lease file /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: Permission denied

dnsmasq is already running and pihole can not acquire a lock.

I also have a conflict in the config files.

RaspAP writes to /etc/dnsmasq.conf while

Pihole uses conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d inside dnsmasq.conf and all actual configuration is done inside dnsmasq.d

What I tried was leaving the config written by RaspAP inside /etc/dnsmasq.conf but adding conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d so all further configuration inside the folder can still be read.

This is the first set of issues.

The second issue is that RaspAP doesn't seem to be actually working. Unless it is intended as a Wifi-bridge which I think is a terrible idea.

I previously followed a different tutorial in which I created a bridge adapter br0 which allowed wlan0 connected devices to reach the internet via eth0. Downside was, that I could no longer SSH into my Pi nor get Pihole to work nor ping devices which were on the opposite side of the Pi (from either direction).

Does anyone have any idea how to make all this work? I don't really know where to post this. I tried the pihole subreddit but I didn't get anything useful.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

An Access Point IS a WiFi to Ethernet bridge.  When you set that up, br0 needs to be assigned the IP address rather than eth0.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 2/21/2020 at 12:54 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

An Access Point IS a WiFi to Ethernet bridge.  When you set that up, br0 needs to be assigned the IP address rather than eth0.

That sounds plausible. So that will enable me to ping my Pi with a wifi-client and a wired network client both targeting the same IP.

I will give it a shot. It seems more and more like RaspAP wasn't actually what I needed.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system