Suggested Forum: Our recommendations.

aaradorn

Most people visit these forums for one question (sometimes more), "what pc can I buy for X amount of money?" "What monitor is best for me?" "insert obviously google-able question here".

It would be nice to make a forum where we post our best suggestions, for example: Gaming computers between 300 USD (if thats possible) and 2500 USD. Also current recommendations on monitors, what to buy and what to avoid. There are a lot of new threads with useless content on this forum. People ask one thing and then basically leave. It would be nice if we could somehow filter out these questions and have a central location with all of our suggestions.

This would be a lot of work but with everyone's input we could make it work.

Yeah and there is also a community standards post right at the top of the forum page, yet at least a dozen posts get locked every day as status update material...

I think this would be too much work with little to no benefit.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

The way they did that one was to have pinned posts of things like tier lists and faqs at the top of sections.

people are like that.  It would keep happening I think even if there were separate subsections for stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Main problem is that there's no way to make something which would 100% cover everything. Thats why forums are better. if people would do their own research, then your idea might work. It would take time, and require some sort of voting system as people's opinions vary very, very much. But most are lazy and want tailored suggestions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah and there is also a community standards post right at the top of the forum page, yet at least a dozen posts get locked every day as status update material...

I think this would be too much work with little to no benefit.

most people dont care about dumb standards and just want an answer to a question, getting their own thread locked is just unhelpful and doesnt improve the user experience at all yet thats every mod's go to option.

39 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

most people dont care about dumb standards and just want an answer to a question, getting their own thread locked is just unhelpful and doesnt improve the user experience at all yet thats every mod's go to option.

Just to be clear, that's from the Community Standards ;

The following is not an exhaustive list of the rules and guidelines that must be followed when participating on Linus Tech Tips. The moderation team reserve the right to terminate any and all accounts or remove any content at any stage without prior notice. The rules outlined below are only the minimum expectations of members and not every issue can be predicted and addressed here, so conduct could still be considered out of line even if it isn't explicitly covered here. The instructions of the moderation team must be followed at all times.

Moderation & Bans
Do not openly discuss the moderation of any content or user. If you have an issue please contact a staff member.
Do not backseat moderate – if there’s an issue, please use the report function. This includes responses such as "Off topic", "spam", "advertising", "status update material" etc; leave it for the mod team to handle.
Please be aware staff cannot see private messages unless they are reported, except in exceptional circumstances.
If you have an issue with a moderator at any time, please contact an Administrator via PM: @Slick  @colonel_mortis @Whiskers

Lashing out like this isn't the best way to have things resolved.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Just to be clear, that's from the Community Standards ;

Lashing out like this isn't the best way to have things resolved.

I didnt mean it as an attack or anything, I was actually agreeing that there would be a benefit to his idea

I understand it is in the rules, I was meaning to say that the current standards make it more difficult than helpful for anyone to want to use the forum..

no one wants to be frustrated with something, come here for help, then have a frustrating time trying to get help

just my opinion, but places like 4chan are honestly better sometimes lol

14 hours ago, aaradorn said:

It would be nice to make a forum where we post our best suggestions, for example: Gaming computers between 300 USD (if thats possible) and 2500 USD.

Hm... I feel a little strange and confused and getting pre-built PC/boutique builder vibes. So, we put up a list of suggested PC builds used for different purposes (gaming, content creation, streaming, etc.) at different price ranges in a forum, and people who come in pick a build from there? It'll be like... an IKEA for PCs? A... Buy-All-Parts-Yourself, Do-It-Yourself IKEA? BAPY DIY IKEA?

14 hours ago, aaradorn said:

Also current recommendations on ... what to buy and what to avoid.

Ah! This! This, I would be interested in. I think? Although, don't we have already have Tier Lists (for one megathread of recommendations) and a Member Reviews section (for individual recommendations)?

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

• 3 weeks later...

Tbh theres literally nothing that can be done to stop the "what part should i get" threads.

Even if you somehow made it mandatory to read a thread with all that info people would read it...and then proceed to make a thread asking the same thing they just read about.