Games/Intensive software slowing to a crawl - New NVME SSD

Boom_Stick25
Go to solution Solved by Boom_Stick25,

N E W S F L A S H

i'm stupid.

GPU Fans haven't been spinning - Likely since i installed the M.2.

Fixed it, cabling came loose from a plug [As in the individual cables that lead into the plastic casing].

re-inserted the cable into the plug, plugged it back in.

Haven't had issue since.

Basically the worst coincidence i could have had, and looked in the wrong direction for a week. Also learnt that if my GPU fans dont spin up, the GPU will clock low enough to stay under 75c. So i didn't immediately realise there was an issue.

But yeah, fixed the cable, Fan's getting power, may have bumped the cable when installing the m.2? dunno.

Either way, Cheers for your help @thedangerine and @SkilledRebuilds 

Recently installed a Silicon Power NVME 1TB ssd [A80 - "M.2 PCIe Gen 3 SSD"], replacing an ageing Samsung 840 SATA ssd [250GB, bought 2013]. 

put a Fresh install of Windows on it - Has a new 2TB WD Blue HDD for data [Replacing a 1 TB WD Blue - Also from 2013]

While running games from either the SSD or HDD , it plays normally for roughly 10 to 15 minutes. 

After that, the game/program acts as though it is struggling to load in properly and FPS stutters around 12 to 34 FPS - it is less noticeable while using intensive software (3Ds max, Substance painter)

It doesn't go back to normal until the game/program is closed and re-opened.

When it does this, The whole system seems to chug [Dual screen - Youtube video playing becomes lower and lower quality, eventually getting stuck]

Task manager does not indicate excessive Disk, CPU or RAM usage while the slowdown is going

[SPECS]
Ryzen 3900X [Box cooler, stock speeds]

ASUS Strix X570-E [BIOS 1405]

64 GB DDR4 RAM [4x16gb] [3200 MHz, CL16, D.O.C.P - Works, included in QVL]

GTX 1080 TI [iChill X4] - Runs 1440p screen, 59Hz

GTX 650 - Runs second screen [1080p 61Hz]/decoding/toy while stuff renders of 1080 ti

Cougar 800W PSU [80+ Gold]

Win 10 Home x64

SP 1 TB M.2 NVME SSD [A80] - "M.2 PCIe Gen.3 SSD"

WD 2 TB HDD Blue - 5400 RPM - 157 MB/s Read/Write [tested]

[What I've done so far]:----------------------------------------------------------

Checked NVME/SSD related settings in BIOS - Nothing of note found.

Tested Drive - Running fine [Crystal Disk, 3468.86 MB/s read, 3,244.32 MB/s write]

Ran Userbench - Tested Better than average

Completely re-installed Win 10 [Initially cloned previous SSD]

Reset BIOS settings to default [Re-configured ram to work] - No change

Updated BIOS [Went from 0805 to 1405]

Manually installed GPU Drivers

Installed Older [Known to not have issue] drivers for GPU's

Removed GTX 650 [Put it back in after no change]

changed power settings - no change

Set GTX 650 as the specific GPU for Chrome and other background programs.

Disabled CPU threads and cores - Went down to 6C/12T no change.

[What i'm yet to try]:---------------------------------------------------

Putting old 840 EVO back in. Call Silicon Power support [5 year warranty, should cover it IF it is the ssd].

I'll be able to grab footage of what's going on, but it's currently 10PM here [Tassie], and I have work in the morning [As a now defeated Level 1 IT guy. where the only problems i can't fix are my own]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mr Turtle might snap again if I can't properly rig + animate him, or finish a car i'm working on. I might too. trying to fix for a week, work full time and help out on a farm. 
oh-no.png.9d62ea93b6e160cb5fb7583126edbbfb.png

Edited by Boom_Stick25
grammar, missing info [Task mamager]

First thought is TEMPS
Websites say its operating temp is 0...... to 70 (*C?)
So,.. reading reviews (disregarding dead drives for now)

They get HOT, and throttle HARD (not just this NVME, most do when TOO hot)

Does yours have a heatsink?

Critical Reviews -

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Gen3x4-000MB-SU001TBP34A80M28AB/product-reviews/B07L6GF81L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?pageNumber=1&filterByStar=critical

https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/silicon-power-p34a80-1tb/p/N82E16820301395?reviews=all

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

First thought is TEMPS
Websites say its operating temp is 0...... to 70 (*C?)
So,.. reading reviews (disregarding dead drives for now)

They get HOT, and throttle HARD (not just this NVME, most do when TOO hot)

Does yours have a heatsink?

Critical Reviews -

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Gen3x4-000MB-SU001TBP34A80M28AB/product-reviews/B07L6GF81L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?pageNumber=1&filterByStar=critical

https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/silicon-power-p34a80-1tb/p/N82E16820301395?reviews=all

This is a very probable issue. I would try monitoring the temp of it on your second screen next time you game and see if it is getting real hot. If it is overheating you can get tiny heatsinks for really cheap online, although your board should have heat spreaders for the ssd, may want to check if it's making good contact

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Board comes with heatsink that has some decent thermal pads. I'll check it out tonight. Didn't think gen 3s got hot (though now I'm starting to feel stupid) so I didn't actually hook up the heatsink.

I'll let you know how it goes. Could be 14 hrs away

Bad news.

Still doin it after properly setting up the thermal pad and heatsink, But the good news is it's only getting to 30c under load.

About to head back to SATA SSD - See if it does it when it's just the game running off the M.2 - if it still does it then i'll just disable entirely, do one last check, then send it off for warranty.

Gimme 15 mins.

Also - Usage on the drive while this is happening is barely registered - Less than 1%, with task manager reckoning it's using 0.5 MB/s

Tested with the older ssd, running the game off the m.2 - Also removed the m.2 completely.

Still there.

Running with drives i know worked fine/didnt do this before - Gunna run some malware scanners - Something is not right and from what i've done i cannot find anything that is missing drivers or seems to be the hardware itself

N E W S F L A S H

i'm stupid.

GPU Fans haven't been spinning - Likely since i installed the M.2.

Fixed it, cabling came loose from a plug [As in the individual cables that lead into the plastic casing].

re-inserted the cable into the plug, plugged it back in.

Haven't had issue since.

Basically the worst coincidence i could have had, and looked in the wrong direction for a week. Also learnt that if my GPU fans dont spin up, the GPU will clock low enough to stay under 75c. So i didn't immediately realise there was an issue.

But yeah, fixed the cable, Fan's getting power, may have bumped the cable when installing the m.2? dunno.

Either way, Cheers for your help @thedangerine and @SkilledRebuilds 

So happy you found the cause.

I was a bit curious how this would turn out..

Mistakes happen, its good it was reversable.

Happy Gaming M8.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz