Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sup3rrman

My First build. Failed miserably.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently built a dream pc rig using Ryzen 7 3700x cooled by Mercury RGB AIO 240mm,Asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi,st75f-gs Silverstone 750 W psu,1x16gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3000mhz & 1x8gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3000mhz memory,1TB Nvme SSD Lexar and wanted RX5700 video card but settled for RX580 (Not happy,so should i go for RX5700??).I watched lot of Linus techtips build guide and few Jayz2cents vids and plugged in everything accordingly.When i connected the DVI cable to my monitor and powered on the system. The motherboard VGA led lit up and beeped thrice.No display.I thought smth must be wrong with the graphics card.So i tried to remove it and broke the PCIe slot (Noob mistake).I plugged into PCIe3 slot and still no boot.I tried CMOS reset and everything but to my luck,Nothing.I removed the CMOS battery and boot,It booted up :D but when tried to update driver.Lost display and once again back to square 1.Not sure what's wrong but planning to replace motherboard. Any tips?Also not entirely happy with the graphics card. Is buying RX5700 still worth it?I'm a casual gamer and play games rarely. But want a future proof graphics card that i can hold on to for next 3-5 years. So should i go for it or wait a little more.Dont want a power hungry gpu that heats up entire room.AMD GPU drivers having issues were rumored and lots of other things. So in a pickle here whether to go for it or not..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I used display port,it didnt work. Used HDMI still no output. Once when it posted, It was able to detect the 24gb memory but at 2666mhz. The VGA lits up so is it possible that the graphics card is defective?. The fans on the graphics card spin though...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple problems from the start with your "dream pc rig":

1: different RAM capacity sticks (which are not a big problem, but srsly, wtf :D) - more serious -> the ram is too slow. 3rd gen Ryzen sweetspot is 3600!

2: you paired a pretty nice cpu with a weak GPU, it can't even hold its ground against a gtx 1060 so your system has a noticeable bottleneck

 

You broke the PCIE slot? HOW!? Did you rip it out by force without unlocking it? If yes, you might not only have destroyed the slot but also lines and stuff around it. So yes, you should get a new motherboard.

Yes, a 5700 is worth it, especially if you are not a harcore gamer. Make sure to watchj reviews on youtube, i can recommend hardware unboxing channel on Youtube, they have a lot of testing on the AMD lineup.


ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

                                                                                     Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sup3rrman said:

I used display port,it didnt work. Used HDMI still no output. Once when it posted, It was able to detect the 24gb memory but at 2666mhz. The VGA lits up so is it possible that the graphics card is defective?. The fans on the graphics card spin though...

Spinning fans does not mean it * works * like the other guy above said your system is a mess why did u buy a ryzen 3700x and match it with a slow ass gpu + slow ram idk can u still return the board with the broken slot and say * it came that way * 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 hours ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

Multiple problems from the start with your "dream pc rig":

1: different RAM capacity sticks (which are not a big problem, but srsly, wtf :D) - more serious -> the ram is too slow. 3rd gen Ryzen sweetspot is 3600!

2: you paired a pretty nice cpu with a weak GPU, it can't even hold its ground against a gtx 1060 so your system has a noticeable bottleneck

 

You broke the PCIE slot? HOW!? Did you rip it out by force without unlocking it? If yes, you might not only have destroyed the slot but also lines and stuff around it. So yes, you should get a new motherboard.

Yes, a 5700 is worth it, especially if you are not a harcore gamer. Make sure to watchj reviews on youtube, i can recommend hardware unboxing channel on Youtube, they have a lot of testing on the AMD lineup.

The RAM sticks are 3000mhz.I had an 8gb Gskill Ram 3000mhz already.So i paired up with a 16gb one of
same frequency.But i know its not a clean pair that you usually see in the builds.
I believe the speed can be changed using XMP profile.
Yeah,The GPU is shit.I bought it for cheap and now i repent it.Hence i was thinking of RX5700 instead
of this.

I remembered the Darth Vader quote "The force is stronger with this one" and used it on my motherboard :p.
I killed the motherboard pcie express clip.I used a screwdriver and pushed it down.I thought i did
and pulled the card but when it didnt ,i might've used a little extra force and heard the snap.
Thanks,I still cant get over the 5700 and yes,as suggested i'll check out the h/w unboxing vids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Spinning fans does not mean it * works * like the other guy above said your system is a mess why did u buy a ryzen 3700x and match it with a slow ass gpu + slow ram idk can u still return the board with the broken slot and say * it came that way * 

I tried to return it but they straight away denied saying their mobos are quality checked multiple times and no way that shipped to you broken. I guess i have no other way than to sell it cheaper for someone  else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you just broke the locking mechanism you might be fine even on that slot

they use to not have any at first

 

but use only 1 stick of ram only

 

i'd recommend checking all connections like 24pin 8pin by cpu and gpu power connectors to make sure plugged in all the way

 

and for testing purposes use dvi from gpu and to monitor if you can along with making sure your monitor has right input selected

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

Multiple problems from the start with your "dream pc rig":

1: different RAM capacity sticks (which are not a big problem, but srsly, wtf :D) - more serious -> the ram is too slow. 3rd gen Ryzen sweetspot is 3600!

2: you paired a pretty nice cpu with a weak GPU, it can't even hold its ground against a gtx 1060 so your system has a noticeable bottleneck

 

You broke the PCIE slot? HOW!? Did you rip it out by force without unlocking it? If yes, you might not only have destroyed the slot but also lines and stuff around it. So yes, you should get a new motherboard.

Yes, a 5700 is worth it, especially if you are not a harcore gamer. Make sure to watchj reviews on youtube, i can recommend hardware unboxing channel on Youtube, they have a lot of testing on the AMD lineup.

what cpu  or gpu isnt holding anything back

cpu will go 100%

gpu will go 100%

thats not a bottleneck, its just weaker card, cpu just can handle a more powerful gpu but will work 100% when called for

the ram might have some bottleneck here that is only thing i can say is a bottleneck holding cpu back some

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, StefanozALL said:

Get 8gb sticks @ 3600 mhz or more, match ram to cpu speed and do coupled mode. As far as gpu get a 2060 super and call it a day

Sounds good.I'll buy the ram for 3000 or higher.About the gpu, Can i buy the RX5700 instead of 2060??

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, pas008 said:

if you just broke the locking mechanism you might be fine even on that slot

they use to not have any at first

 

but use only 1 stick of ram only

 

i'd recommend checking all connections like 24pin 8pin by cpu and gpu power connectors to make sure plugged in all the way

 

and for testing purposes use dvi from gpu and to monitor if you can along with making sure your monitor has right input selected

Hmm,if that's the case i'll be saving a lot of cash but i doubt it will still work.I plugged it in the next pcie slot and am afraid i'll break that too.

I'll see if the 16gb alone holds up.

I just checked and all set fine. Not sure about the front panel connectors but that shouldnt affect.right?

ok,i'll try the dvi to monitor and see if it'll post.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 11:46 AM, Sup3rrman said:

I recently built a dream pc rig using Ryzen 7 3700x cooled by Mercury RGB AIO 240mm,Asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi,st75f-gs Silverstone 750 W psu,1x16gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3000mhz & 1x8gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3000mhz memory,1TB Nvme SSD Lexar and wanted RX5700 video card but settled for RX580 (Not happy,so should i go for RX5700??).I watched lot of Linus techtips build guide and few Jayz2cents vids and plugged in everything accordingly.When i connected the DVI cable to my monitor and powered on the system. The motherboard VGA led lit up and beeped thrice.No display.I thought smth must be wrong with the graphics card.So i tried to remove it and broke the PCIe slot (Noob mistake).I plugged into PCIe3 slot and still no boot.I tried CMOS reset and everything but to my luck,Nothing.I removed the CMOS battery and boot,It booted up :D but when tried to update driver.Lost display and once again back to square 1.Not sure what's wrong but planning to replace motherboard. Any tips?Also not entirely happy with the graphics card. Is buying RX5700 still worth it?I'm a casual gamer and play games rarely. But want a future proof graphics card that i can hold on to for next 3-5 years. So should i go for it or wait a little more.Dont want a power hungry gpu that heats up entire room.AMD GPU drivers having issues were rumored and lots of other things. So in a pickle here whether to go for it or not..

Did you plug the display cable into the graphics card, not in the motherboard? Also if you ripped out the PCIe slot, the baord is basically done for. You can go ahead and throw it in the trash at that point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, ZzLy said:

Did you plug the display cable into the graphics card, not in the motherboard? Also if you ripped out the PCIe slot, the baord is basically done for. You can go ahead and throw it in the trash at that point.

Yeah i plugged to the graphics card not the motherboard.But no change. Yep the slot is dead :/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×