hdd or something having issues

Go to solution Solved by Shutendouji,

I have figured out my issue with some help, turns out that my other devices using the same sata cable were sucking the power away from the hdd so that it wouldnt turn on properly. By letting the hdd have a dedicated power cable, it turns on from a cold boot like it should.

I am having some issues with my hdd, or something thats causing it to not work. I have a WD Black 4tb hdd, it does not turn on when I boot my pc from shutdown, neither does the bios detect the drive, though windows detects it just fine, cant even initialize it. In order for it to turn on and be initialized normally to be usable, I have to unplug the power from the drive and plug it back in. once that happens, then you can hear the drive spinning and doing its click sounds. Once you do that it stays working even after a restart, but once it goes to sleep or shuts down, have to repeat the process over. I had a friend connect the hdd to his pc to see if he had any problems and it worked just fine, he ran it for a couple days and it works the way its supposed to. I thought it was the hdd and i RMA'd through 3 of them. So now that I know the hdd isnt the problem, because having 3 drives have the same issue is highly unlikely or just that unlucky, what other issue could it be? I have tried changing the sata ports on both the motherboard and the psu, I changed out the cables on the psu, and a different sata cable to the motherboard. I dont know what the issue could possibly be. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be and maybe even lead to a solution? please and thank you

Your other drive might be using up all the bandwidth... you say you changed SATA power ports, what about trying different data port?

im assuming you are referring to the sata ports on the motherboard? pretty sure i mentioned i did already. but anyways yes i tried all the ports.

it shows sata port chipset is enabled and also sata mode is set to AHCI. well i havent had an issue where a drive letter wasnt auto assigned.

I have figured out my issue with some help, turns out that my other devices using the same sata cable were sucking the power away from the hdd so that it wouldnt turn on properly. By letting the hdd have a dedicated power cable, it turns on from a cold boot like it should.