Tool for downclocking to improve stability

toobladink

After crashing in games and intense programs for months thinking "oh it's just CoD this game sucks" I found out that downclocking my RAM and GPU gives me a huge improvement in stability, meaning I can typically play for a few hours compared to just 2 minutes.

However, I still crash from time to time (and get the same error codes as before, making me think this may be an ongoing issue for me).

So my question is,

Is there some sort of utility out there that I can use that will help me find the most stable settings possible for my hardware? 

I have mostly only played CoD, but since I have quite a nice computer, I am getting into editing videos for school comedy sketches, but can't get anything done because programs keep crashing. Please note, any other game that's typically easy to run, like CSGO and Rocket league don't crash, but Fortnite, BFV, CoD, Destiny 2, Doom, and Dirt Rally all crash at some point. But like an older game, like Dirt 3, doesn't crash.

I ask this because EVGA has this overclock software that like finds the most stable overclock for your GPU. But.. I only get stability when I underclock. I have a feeling finding software that could fix the RAM issues might be the most challenging part, as there is a lot more associated with that

System specs, in case anyone is curious:

EVGA 1070Ti FTW2, downclocked 150MHz on core and 250Mhz on memory

Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz RAM, XMP disabled so defaulted to 2133MHz (via motherboard)

Gigabyte AB-350N motherboard

Ryzen 3800x

Also note, that I was using a Ryzen 2400G previously and ran into the same issues. Definitely not a power delivery issue, as all error codes I get seem to be DirectX or DRAM related.

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

Hello,

4 minutes ago, toobladink said:

Gigabyte AB-350N motherboard

We found the culprit.

Get a better motherboard and enjoy XMP and OC the CPU.

Asus TUF Wifi is usually well priced, very good VRM too.

Might be worth trying a lower power limit on the CPU. I have to do that on one of my Ryzen systems (3600) as when I run a workload similar to Prime95 on it, it randomly crashes. For the 3600 the default PPT is 88W, and I found reducing it to 60W largely eliminates the crashes. Believe the 3800X is 142W PPT stock, so you can try reducing that value. The impact of this is a general reduction in many-core load clocks, but shouldn't have much of an impact on lightly threaded work. Because these CPUs run so close to their limit even at stock, the power limit doesn't reduce clocks as much as you might think as it forces the CPU to run in a more efficient area as you lower the limit.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Have you tried running it bog standard with just BIOS xmp enabled and all other overclocking software removed or disabled?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

15 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

We found the culprit.

Get a better motherboard and enjoy XMP and OC the CPU.

Asus TUF Wifi is usually well priced, very good VRM too.

How do you know it's the MB? Is the power delivery just utter shit, or is the support for RAM faster than 2133 really just "support" meaning that it can boot into windows with faster speeds, but that's it? (I hope that makes sense)

I'll definitely look into buying a new one, I've had it on my mind for a while too. Might wait for B550, but not sure yet.

15 hours ago, porina said:

Might be worth trying a lower power limit on the CPU.

I'll look into that! That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea, especially since nothing I do often really maxes out my CPU.

14 hours ago, keskparane said:

Have you tried running it bog standard with just BIOS xmp enabled and all other overclocking software removed or disabled?

Yes, but that doesn't exactly get rid of GPU related error codes. I still get them - but I would definitely say less often than RAM related when I do that.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

hi

pipes

Maybe try running GPU-z or similar to see whats happening just before the crash?

81766.jpg

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

6 hours ago, toobladink said:

How do you know it's the MB? Is the power delivery just utter shit, or is the support for RAM faster than 2133 really just "support" meaning that it can boot into windows with faster speeds, but that's it? (I hope that makes sense)

I'll definitely look into buying a new one, I've had it on my mind for a while too. Might wait for B550, but not sure yet.

It's not powerful enough for a 3800x :

Did you monitor your temp?

I see no reason why your GPU would crash the system if it's not downvolted or downclocked. 

What PSU do you have?

If as others say the mobo isn't up for the CPU, lowering the power limit should help. Also CPU/ram instability can appear to be other things, so worth a try.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 hours ago, Plouffe said:

It's not powerful enough for a 3800x :

Did you monitor your temp?

I see no reason why your GPU would crash the system if it's not downvolted or downclocked. 

What PSU do you have?

Yes, temp seems to be normal. Can't say I've seen it get above 70C when I've monitored it. The part that throws me off is that I get the same error codes with a Ryzen 2400G.

I own a corsair CX550. Should be more than enough I hope

hi

pipes

On 2/21/2020 at 7:32 PM, toobladink said:

Yes, temp seems to be normal. Can't say I've seen it get above 70C when I've monitored it. The part that throws me off is that I get the same error codes with a Ryzen 2400G.

I own a corsair CX550. Should be more than enough I hope

Yup I'm pretty sure it's because the motherboard is not powerfull enough, the PSU is perhaps a bit low for a 3800x but shouldn't cause any problem as far as I know.