Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Qaziush

Buzzing / Clicking / Ticking PSU noise

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i just wanna make sure i'm not in wrong here, i bought new psu in novembar or decembar of last year and was working fine untill june 5th then buzzing started it wasn't constant but it was weird because it buzzed when turn off even what's weird it buzzed even more then switch on psu is turned off, not to mention the extra buzzing noise in speakers from time to time and mic as well people on discord constantly complained about it. So after a week i decide to return it to store with complaint about buzzing they said they will send to mainc office for checkup / repair week passes by they send me txt msg you don't have right for repair psu shows working propely. I come to store pick  it up and guy working there says to record buzzing noise and try again, so i did i recorded few video clips and brought evidence on usb flash drive i even noted that i want replacement and to add extra more if needed for other psu. Once again week passes by i get txt psu shows working fine you don't have right for replacement... So it's been like more then week since i got psu back now psu is making clicking/ticking noiseconstantly turned on or off dunno if this is sign of danger, also forgot to mention it doesn't happen to mine old psu. On mine old psu only issue that has is ball bearing wore off in fan and it's making vacum like noise that is only reason why i replaced psu. Also to mention i tried everything i disconnected all cables on back it was still making noise, i disconnected sata pci-e and was still making noise i completly disconnected hdd and once again still was making noise. This time i made video playlist just to make sure i'm not crazy or that i'm lying. 

I will send psu for 3rd time once mine ds4 v2 arrive i ordered from other store since i swore that i will not buy anything again in their store, hopefully 3rd time is charm. Also wanna appologies for spelling errors english is not native language.

It's coil whine, nothing to worry about, it's just the noise that coils make when they have high-frequency currents flowing through them, some GPU and motherboard VRMs have similar problems. It whines even when off because it still supplies power on 5V stand-by line. It doesn't affect PSU performance or durability. If it bothers you then get high-end PSU based on LLC-resonant topology (look at the tier list 4.0, get smth from tier A), they're less likely to whine (depends on model tho, look at users feedback or smth).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

8 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

I don't hear anything in the video. :S

From any of 7 videos you don't hear clicking / ticking? 

1 hour ago, Qaziush said:

From any of 7 videos you don't hear clicking / ticking? 

Yes but I cant tell if its PSU or HDD or something else as you move around too much.

Do another video to get just the PSU (Disconnect HDD and GPU at least) and try to keep all other noises out of the recording. Keep it still and don’t move yourself or be in the recording as I swear lots of noise just came from you moving.

I could guess which was the PSU but TBH it could be anything.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

3 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Yes but I cant tell if its PSU or HDD or something else as you move around too much.

Do another video to get just the PSU (Disconnect HDD and GPU at least) and try to keep all other noises out of the recording. Keep it still and don’t move yourself or be in the recording as I swear lots of noise just came from you moving.

I could guess which was the PSU but TBH it could be anything.

Also i think already mentioned i already did this.

Here are 3 more examples with psu outbox just to show it's screwed wrong issue also one is with sata/pcie disconnected and one with. I came to a point that i have to uplug cable from psu when i go to sleep because crackling is just beyond irattating.

And since this psu i bought this psu like 3/4 months ago buying new psu is out of option for now. I'll collect more evidence and try to return it for replacement since i do have warranty for 3 years.