Anyone's elses brain just isnt fit for programming?

Windows95

I dropped from the programing course. I always sucked at math and logic as a kid, and generally at working. Thankfully I somehow managed to make money online doing 3d animation, i really cant have a job and show up everyday, im too tired for that, it just sucks. However this is so unstable with all those bullshit laws, the algorithms giving you views then taking them away and so on (and most of the money is done with ad revenue because no one gives a shit to patreon you and so on) so I was considering starting programing again as a backup plan, however it must make me money. Im on my 30s, I dont have time for things that will not make money.

What should I learn that I can monetize? Ive seen people doing shitty apps on playstore make more than people working hard on games and stuff that take months. Shovelware they call it. Well I would do that if needed. I also would make webpages and try to rank them. Just useful stuff to get money and pay the bills. The dreams of making "something remarkable and meaningful" are over. I must make that paper otherwise its a waste of time. People idealizing things and not facing this fact are too young or had luck (irrelevant %)

Programming or not, working as a freelancer is never going to be stable. If you're unable to go to office regularly for some reason then look for positions that allow you to work from home - 3D animation is something you can definitely do from home. Part time jobs are also a thing.

Regardless, programming isn't something you can just "get into" in a few months and just start profiting from it - particularly if you lack the patience to work on a new skill every day.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

In the beginning programming takes practice...like lots of practice.  The first programming language you learn is 10x harder than the 2nd one.  It's just a different way of thinking ?  I'd encourage you to not give up.  It helps if you meet someone who knows how to code...the mentor type.  The more nerds I've surrounded myself with...the smarter me gots...ymmv.

So do you know how to code and program? Since you dropped the course, did you get a good way into it where you know the basics or no? If you like/know 3D animation that's usually pretty good to do from home or you can try your hand at Graphic Design, making logos and such for businesses, I used to use Photoshop in high school to make/redesign logos and signs for businesses and then email them to see if they'd be interested in it, made two hundred sometimes more a week doing it but it's iffy and definitely no way to make a living especially for someone outside of highschool, unless you did it on a much larger scale. I don't know your whole situation or why you're tired all the time but it may be better to try your luck at an actual job working for someone else rather than trying to make it by the skin of your teeth trying to employ yourself or make apps in the freelance market.  If you don't want to learn or be taught how to do something and don't have the will to do it, then I don't know what to tell you. No matter what you do you'll have to know/learn how to do it, nothing out there where you make a lot of money is going to be easy or as easy as you seem to want it.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I’m rampantly unfit for programming.  I discovered it way back in high school.  I was one of the “smart kids” but I was literally last in line in the programming course.  I kept on getting lost in the loops.

programming is like higher math.  It requires a certain set of abilities and not everyone has them.  It’s so needed that  A large section of the entire first 12 grades of school are set up to prepare a student for the concepts needed.  Still, many fail.  You get past calc or you don’t.  I suspect just like math, a lot of research is or should go into figuring out what the needs and skills are for programming and point the entire education curriculum at finding them.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

46 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

So do you know how to code and program? Since you dropped the course, did you get a good way into it where you know the basics or no? If you like/know 3D animation that's usually pretty good to do from home or you can try your hand at Graphic Design, making logos and such for businesses, I used to use Photoshop in high school to make/redesign logos and signs for businesses and then email them to see if they'd be interested in it, made two hundred sometimes more a week doing it but it's iffy and definitely no way to make a living especially for someone outside of highschool, unless you did it on a much larger scale. I don't know your whole situation or why you're tired all the time but it may be better to try your luck at an actual job working for someone else rather than trying to make it by the skin of your teeth trying to employ yourself or make apps in the freelance market.  If you don't want to learn or be taught how to do something and don't have the will to do it, then I don't know what to tell you. No matter what you do you'll have to know/learn how to do it, nothing out there where you make a lot of money is going to be easy or as easy as you seem to want it.

i do animation in a niche way, i make stories, they are pretty derpy, i managed to monetize them as i got enough traffic to make a living out of it somehow, it takes a lot of work to do a 10 minute video even if the animation would seem pretty lame to a proper animator, so i dont think i can freelance, im not a real, proper animator

also, most people "doing stuff online" make money from ad revenue, that's the coolest thing, since you:

1) are you own boss, you put your creativity first and schelude the things you do instead of having to do stuff you don't care about for other people

2) you get passive income from traffic from the videos that are ranked, at least until they deranked.. but gives you a margin to keep working on further content (it can take me a month to finish a video, but i hope once i buy the new computer its faster, im on a 12 year old quadcore struggling to edit.. i gave up and im not working again until my 3950x arrives next week so i will start working properly)

anything that isnt making money this way sucks tbh, would rather be a neet

as far as programing, im willing to work hard, but my point was, i need DIRECTION, i need to think okay, i learn this language, then I can do this thing, and I can monetize it this way

I dont want to do endless circles learning "stuff" that doesn't end in money

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m rampantly unfit for programming.  I discovered it way back in high school.  I was one of the “smart kids” but I was literally last in line in the programming course.  I kept on getting lost in the loops.

programming is like higher math.  It requires a certain set of abilities and not everyone has them.  It’s so needed that  A large section of the entire first 12 grades of school are set up to prepare a student for the concepts needed.  Still, many fail.  You get past calc or you don’t.  I suspect just like math, a lot of research is or should go into figuring out what the needs and skills are for programming and point the entire education curriculum at finding them.

its like learning math, you learn math... ok cool, but you gotta pay bills, so most people end up as math teachers

if i take the time to go into programing again, i gotta have a gameplan to monetize my knowledge, and not just fucking around learning stuff and not applying it to things that convert into cash

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Programming or not, working as a freelancer is never going to be stable. If you're unable to go to office regularly for some reason then look for positions that allow you to work from home - 3D animation is something you can definitely do from home. Part time jobs are also a thing.

Regardless, programming isn't something you can just "get into" in a few months and just start profiting from it - particularly if you lack the patience to work on a new skill every day.

nobody will hire me anymore, im 30 with no job experience, ive always been hustling online, coming up with money making schemes because i hate commuting, bosses, and other assorted scams

my best moments are now, im doing better than ever, however, im a worrier, i see clouds in the horizon, i see youtube being a clusterfuck, i see problems with laws always trying to ruin people to fund their bankrupt governments via fines, and so follows, so in case it goes really bad, im approaching this as a plan b of sorts, and just as i ranked media content, why i wouldn't be able to rank apps? i just gotta learn how to code the apps

i have skills in music, i can "animate", I can do some scripting (for instance, in zdoom, I can hack myself around the ACS programing script language thing by looking at examples, but basically I rip other people's stuff, more or less understand how it works, then I use it with creativity to make it fit within my level design), level design was another pipedream I had as a kid, i loved making doom and duke3d maps, spent so much time on that, of course, i never made any money doing that, i learned the hard way that you must have a money making mindset otherwise you spend a lot of money doing things that just dont convert

5 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

nobody will hire me anymore, im 30 with no job experience

That's not true, there are definitely people who will hire you if you're good at what you do.

8 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

and just as i ranked media content, why i wouldn't be able to rank apps?

I don't know what you mean with "rank"

9 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

i just gotta learn how to code the apps

Yeah, that's not something you can do in an afternoon starting from scratch.

15 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

i learned the hard way that you must have a money making mindset otherwise you spend a lot of money doing things that just dont convert

Usually people do what they need to to make enough money to survive and do the things they enjoy in their spare time. Some get to make money doing something they enjoy, others don't.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Windows95 said:

I dont have time for things that will not make money.

If you've never been a good programmer, and you already know that you struggle with software development concepts, then you've got many years of dedicated practice ahead of you before you have the knowledge necessary to design, build, deploy, and maintain any software that will generate worthwhile amounts of money.

If you're in your 30's, and since all you care about is money, you simply don't have the drive necessary to spend the requisite amounts of time studying, thinking, and practicing, without making a dime from it, and possibly while spending many dimes on textbooks,  for many years. Sure, lot's of people go to university and some get pretty good at what they're studying in only four years: But they spend 8 hours a day or more doing literally nothing but trying to learn, with no immediate benefit, and lot's of immediate cost.

There are many things you can do to make money. I program only as a hobby, even though I have formal education, while I work as a heavy equipment operator to pay the bills. Yes, most of the people at my job suck. Yes, I spend nearly all of my time at work. Yes, my boss is a racist, conceited, smartmouthed asshole. Yes, I frequently have to do things that I don't want to or that I find scary or stupid. But there's simply nothing else near me that's going to pay me the kind of money that this job pays me, using the skills and knowledge that I already have.

So you don't like being bossed around, commuting, or anything else involved in life. To bad. Get over it. Everyone else in the world has to. Ignore and override.

My advice to you is unrelated to programming: Spend some time looking at yourself. Think honestly about what you have and what you want. Be realistic with that last one. Then think about how to get there using the skills that you already have.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

its like learning math, you learn math... ok cool, but you gotta pay bills, so most people end up as math teachers

if i take the time to go into programing again, i gotta have a gameplan to monetize my knowledge, and not just fucking around learning stuff and not applying it to things that convert into cash

That’s actually fairly rare.  The mind necessary to learn math is applicable to a whole bunch of things.  Lots of kinds of engineering, etc..  there are people who do advanced class work in pure math which is necessary to teach it.  Programming is itself a fairly rare skill. A kind of engineering.  Engineering and entrepreneurship are different skills.   It sounds like you want to leverage engineering skills for entrepreneurship.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

If you've never been a good programmer, and you already know that you struggle with software development concepts, then you've got many years of dedicated practice ahead of you before you have the knowledge necessary to design, build, deploy, and maintain any software that will generate worthwhile amounts of money.

If you're in your 30's, and since all you care about is money, you simply don't have the drive necessary to spend the requisite amounts of time studying, thinking, and practicing, without making a dime from it, and possibly while spending many dimes on textbooks,  for many years. Sure, lot's of people go to university and some get pretty good at what they're studying in only four years: But they spend 8 hours a day or more doing literally nothing but trying to learn, with no immediate benefit, and lot's of immediate cost.

There are many things you can do to make money. I program only as a hobby, even though I have formal education, while I work as a heavy equipment operator to pay the bills. Yes, most of the people at my job suck. Yes, I spend nearly all of my time at work. Yes, my boss is a racist, conceited, smartmouthed asshole. Yes, I frequently have to do things that I don't want to or that I find scary or stupid. But there's simply nothing else near me that's going to pay me the kind of money that this job pays me, using the skills and knowledge that I already have.

So you don't like being bossed around, commuting, or anything else involved in life. To bad. Get over it. Everyone else in the world has to. Ignore and override.

My advice to you is unrelated to programming: Spend some time looking at yourself. Think honestly about what you have and what you want. Be realistic with that last one. Then think about how to get there using the skills that you already have.

im going to keep making money online for as long as possible and buy a house, once i own a house, if things go bad i will inherit a flat which i can rent. i will avoid being a commuting slave at all costs. i will never capitulate.

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s actually fairly rare.  The mind necessary to learn math is applicable to a whole bunch of things.  Lots of kinds of engineering, etc..  there are people who do advanced class work in pure math which is necessary to teach it.  Programming is itself a fairly rare skill. A kind of engineering.  Engineering and entrepreneurship are different skills.   It sounds like you want to leverage engineering skills for entrepreneurship.

i believe in working smarter, not harder

i believe in working smarter, not harder

Buzzwords.  

“smarter not harder” means in theory work efficiently.  Sometimes for some people it means shamming and passing stuff off on others.  

im going to keep making money online for as long as possible and buy a house, once i own a house, if things go bad i will inherit a flat which i can rent. i will avoid being a commuting slave at all costs. i will never capitulate.

The point of your OP was that that life is unstable and constantly under attack.

But let's say your plan works out. You get to stay in it long enough to save up and buy a house. But then things go bad. Like you say, you'll inherit a flat.

Are you sure that you will inherit the flat by the time things go south? If you have to wait to get the flat, what will you do in the meantime?

7 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

The point of your OP was that that life is unstable and constantly under attack.

But let's say your plan works out. You get to stay in it long enough to save up and buy a house. But then things go bad. Like you say, you'll inherit a flat.

Are you sure that you will inherit the flat by the time things go south? If you have to wait to get the flat, what will you do in the meantime?

at this rate, i can buy a shitty property within a year

but ideally i want a 300k€ house, and that will take more time

what will I do? dunno, thats why i was thinking of a plan b... lets just hope i dont need a plan b

45 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Buzzwords.  

“smarter not harder” means in theory work efficiently.  Sometimes for some people it means shamming and passing stuff off on others.  

learning things that can apply to monetize them instead of learning a bunch of stuff but not being able to make money

Just now, Windows95 said:

learning things that can apply to monetize them instead of learning a bunch of stuff but not being able to make money

So you made up your own definition.  “Smarter” refers specifically to cunning rather than understanding and work refers to acquisition rather than effort.   in your definition.  Standard get-rich-quick stuff.

it can  work I guess as long as you remember that what people are talking about when they refer to that phrase has very possibly absolutely nothing to do with what you are thinking about.

Get-rich-quick schemes tend to be very high risk, and because it’s such a draw there generally lots of predators hovering about the concept.

32 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

what will I do?

You'll capitulate and get a job, or else you'll be homeless is what you'll do.

Jobs may seem like slavery, but that's because, at least by my estimation of it, 9 times out of 10 people go into jobs with the wrong idea:

A job isn't a place to work and make money. A job is a place to learn things, learn them quickly and learn them well.

What has helped me the most in life is a simple realization. If you still have the ability to make rational choices, then there are only two things that matter in life: Family and knowledge. Those are the only two things that you will always have, that everyone who can make rational choices always has, no matter what.

We are the product of our predecessors and we have a brain. That's it. That's all you get, and therefore, that's all that matters. Once you realize that, all of that other nonsense fades away.

I'm not saying you need to quit doing what you're doing and go get a "real" job. If what you're doing is working, then that's great and you've accomplished something that alot of people wish they could do. I'm just saying that you should be mentally prepared that one day, you might have to get a normal job, and it'll be quite a bit easier if you're thinking about it right when that happens.

Oh, and I'm also saying that learning programming solely for the purpose of making money never works. You have to be in it for the knowledge or else you'll give up before you get anywhere with it, because programming requires a serious amount of effort just learning how to do it. And that's before the serious amount of effort that it takes to actually build something useful once you know how to do it.

The thing is a lot of people go "oh I like video games I want to make video games for a living".  The thing is most Universities make you crap tons of math, and things like "Gaming Mathematics" (which is basically 3 Dimensional Vector Calculus and Physics.) and not everyone is cut out for that stuff.
As someone with a Degree in Math I saw a lot of my peers drop out because they thought it would be "fun and easy" but it really isn't. 

homeofmew (homeofmew#1337)

[ | folding@home | F@A Extreme Over Clocking | Bionic | ]

Bachelors of Science in Mathematics, University of Houston

3 hours ago, homeofmew said:

The thing is a lot of people go "oh I like video games I want to make video games for a living".  The thing is most Universities make you crap tons of math, and things like "Gaming Mathematics" (which is basically 3 Dimensional Vector Calculus and Physics.) and not everyone is cut out for that stuff.
As someone with a Degree in Math I saw a lot of my peers drop out because they thought it would be "fun and easy" but it really isn't. 

i can make better games by using something like gzdoom than someone that can code but has 0 artistic approach and no talent for level design etc. i always wanted to make a duke 3d type of game, i have all the tools except i dont know how to do the coding part. but with acs and zscript i can make cool levels with events and stuff going on. of course this makes no money, so spending time on this is a waste of time.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:59 PM, straight_stewie said:

You'll capitulate and get a job, or else you'll be homeless is what you'll do.

Jobs may seem like slavery, but that's because, at least by my estimation of it, 9 times out of 10 people go into jobs with the wrong idea:

A job isn't a place to work and make money. A job is a place to learn things, learn them quickly and learn them well.

What has helped me the most in life is a simple realization. If you still have the ability to make rational choices, then there are only two things that matter in life: Family and knowledge. Those are the only two things that you will always have, that everyone who can make rational choices always has, no matter what.

We are the product of our predecessors and we have a brain. That's it. That's all you get, and therefore, that's all that matters. Once you realize that, all of that other nonsense fades away.

I'm not saying you need to quit doing what you're doing and go get a "real" job. If what you're doing is working, then that's great and you've accomplished something that alot of people wish they could do. I'm just saying that you should be mentally prepared that one day, you might have to get a normal job, and it'll be quite a bit easier if you're thinking about it right when that happens.

Oh, and I'm also saying that learning programming solely for the purpose of making money never works. You have to be in it for the knowledge or else you'll give up before you get anywhere with it, because programming requires a serious amount of effort just learning how to do it. And that's before the serious amount of effort that it takes to actually build something useful once you know how to do it.

most jobs are repetitive and you dont learn anything beyond the repetitive task being done, also commuting sucks no matter what you are doing anyway

as someone that is not gifted with stem-like brain im doomed to shitty jobs, would rather stay a neet, but luckily on my online hustle. as soon as i can keep making ad revenue its happy days, when it ends it ends, i'll be a neet until i can figure out the next thing.

Some people just don't like programming.
I'd say stick with 3D modelling & animation if you're good at it. You can make quite a bit of money doing it. Just research how many movies are made with CGI haha.

To really test if you don't understand programming, try Codecademy.com as it helps teach the languages. Then, the rest is basically logic which, if that is difficult for you, you can try learning math with Khan Academy, but if you're not up to it, I don't blame you.

Do what you enjoy. There's tons of jobs out there. Even working for the government is not a bad idea. Then you can relax to do whatever hobbies you'd like.

@Windows95 Nothing, everything you make initially will be bad and nobody will hire you/buy your product until you build up your knowledge/portfolio etc. I don't see how you think you can compete with people with years of experience... Even those "shitty apps" had significant effort to build the expertise to build the app. If you want to make shit, you can compete with the firms in India etc who have lower living costs than you - oh and they also have more experience than you. Do you see how you just can't compete until you actually put some hard work in??

If you honestly believe otherwise make an app of some sort that is functional. Prove to yourself that you can make something worth selling. If it's any good, someone will almost certainly be willing to pay for it. I'm almost certain you'll find out it's more difficult than you think.

p.s. just because you're 30 with no work history doesn't mean you're not able to get a career you want. The lack of commitment/willing to actually work hard is. Change your mentaility for your own sake.

Sorry if I come across rude.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:20 PM, Windows95 said:

I dropped from the programing course. I always sucked at math and logic as a kid, and generally at working. Thankfully I somehow managed to make money online doing 3d animation, i really cant have a job and show up everyday, im too tired for that, it just sucks. However this is so unstable with all those bullshit laws, the algorithms giving you views then taking them away and so on (and most of the money is done with ad revenue because no one gives a shit to patreon you and so on) so I was considering starting programing again as a backup plan, however it must make me money. Im on my 30s, I dont have time for things that will not make money.

What should I learn that I can monetize? Ive seen people doing shitty apps on playstore make more than people working hard on games and stuff that take months. Shovelware they call it. Well I would do that if needed. I also would make webpages and try to rank them. Just useful stuff to get money and pay the bills. The dreams of making "something remarkable and meaningful" are over. I must make that paper otherwise its a waste of time. People idealizing things and not facing this fact are too young or had luck (irrelevant %)

Alot of people approach freelansing completely wrong. They jump into it because they want freedom, more money more time. The truth is as a freelancer you don't have time. A day should be 365 days, vaications are wtf are those? Money is guess. 

The trick about freelancing is patience ALOT of it!

Dedication to complete the tasks you give yourself. And the ability to actually work a day instead of thinking "I'm my own boss i'm off."

Also how you use money as a freelancer is a big thing. Don't buy shit you don't need, that's probably the biggest mistake people do.

As for programming you can expect to work months on end without profit at all. My first step into freelancing i litterally worked my ass of 8 months straight 8-16 hours a day without income at all. When my product was released and i finally made my first 20$ on it. Holy shit that was big! 

oh and one last thing.. Get rid of all the stuff/subscriptions you don't need!

The first thing i noticed as freelancer is that alot of my money goes into subscriptions and bullshit that i got abselutely no use for at all.