PC Gaming - Archving games

PyroTheWise

I have a real simple question because I haven't done any gaming on a PC on over 20 years.

I am going to build a PC but due to budget concerns it will only have 1 SSD HDD initially.   Later in the year, I will look at adding a second HDD for better storage.  

Now, here is what I want to do.  All current games I am playing, I want to store/run from the SSD.  Later I want to "move" those games to the slower second HDD and possibly run the games from that drive or move them back to the SSD.

Is that possible on the PC nowadays?  

Yes, that's doable. You will only need to move the files to the new drive, and then configure your client (Origin, Steam, etc) so that it scans the new folder and finds the game. It's pretty straightforward nowadays although it was a pain just a few years ago.

13 hours ago, PyroTheWise said:

Great thanks!   I was hoping the clients allowed that. 

Some clients even allow you to move the game to another drive from the client itself.

Another alternative would be AMD StoreMI, I suggest check it out and see if it fits your use case.

51 minutes ago, ottoyu34 said:

Another alternative would be AMD StoreMI, I suggest check it out and see if it fits your use case.

Interesting idea behind AMD StoreMI.  I will investigate it further once I go beyond a single drive system.