Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

How to disable "shared system memory" in GPU?

4 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Do you even consider using google first

unfortunately, no.

this isn't something you can really turn off and it's been a thing in windows for a g e s. it's like a pagefile - it will not be used unless it really needs to be, but if it isn't there then there is nowhere for data to go if the VRAM is full and shit hits the fan. your GPU will not start eating through your system memory. games detect it as 4GB and that's what games will use.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have a Radeon RX 570 4 GB and the display adapter settings shows that it has 8 GB of memory as it has 4 GB of shared memory from RAM... I have 8 GB 1600 MHz RAM so using RAM would really slow down my games, so I think I am better off disabling it...

So how can I disable the shared system memory? (Keep in mind GTA V and other games detect GPU's memory as 4 GB)

I am using a dell optiplex 7020 with dell A03 BIOS, So I selected the "ATI Radeon HD Graphics" (that's what BIOS detected the RX 570 as) instead of "Auto", Also I uninstalled my intel HD Drivers using DDU....

So how can I disable the shared system memory?

Capture.PNG

You can't. 

/closethread

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Posted · Best Answer

Do you even consider using google first

unfortunately, no.

this isn't something you can really turn off and it's been a thing in windows for a g e s. it's like a pagefile - it will not be used unless it really needs to be, but if it isn't there then there is nowhere for data to go if the VRAM is full and shit hits the fan. your GPU will not start eating through your system memory. games detect it as 4GB and that's what games will use.

this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

6 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

unfortunately, no.

is there a way to at least decrease it? I only have 8 GB of valuable RAM, I can't just let windows take 4 GB away for no reason...

2 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

is there a way to at least decrease it? I only have 8 GB of valuable RAM, I can't just let windows take 4 GB away for no reason...

You can't. As explained by @yaboistar it won't take your ram for no reason.

Just now, InfinityVive said:

image.png.8e3304620a86f476dbb2bef5515346ac.png

your cpu still has access to 8gb of ram.

Just now, yaboistar said:

image.png.8e3304620a86f476dbb2bef5515346ac.png

your cpu still has access to 8gb of ram.

ok thanks...

And ye, here's another problem instead of posting another useless thread...

WHY IS CHROME USING SO MUCH RAM!! I only have 2 Tabs open, LTT and Youtube at 360p, and it's currently using 1 GB of RAM... 1 GB of RAM for only 2 Tabs...

image.png.c3858b510d08f525115e905594c7674b.png

this does not mean half my ram is allocated to my gpu, it means that 0.1gb of my ram is holding the windows desktop environment while my GPU uses it's onboard memory to process things. I still have access to all 31.9GB remaining of my memory.

Just now, InfinityVive said:

ok thanks...

WHY IS CHROME USING SO MUCH RAM!! I only have 2 Tabs open, LTT and Youtube at 360p, and it's currently using 1 GB of RAM... 1 GB of RAM for only 2 Tabs...

image.png.f9f38c2091a4a3528df452955e0117de.png

2 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

ok thanks...

well thats odd, i have 9 tabs open with a 1080p yt video running and it only uses 750 Mbs of ram

PC:

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Roamer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

It's hard to satisfy his need for attention, he will invent some problem if need be.

y'know, i've been warned for less in recent times, but honestly, i can only agree

1 minute ago, Oswin said:

well thats odd, i have 9 tabs open with a 1080p yt video running and it only uses 750 Mbs of ram

image.png.64207616ae416f9ea30ba139d58ae68a.png

>when you use more than 500mb of ram

chrome seems to be bad at clearing it's ram cache out, closing and re-opening it can drop a large amount of usage off.

i still remember the times i had firefox memory leak on me

Close browser now and then, the more videos you watch in a row, the higher RAM usage will get...

Might consider SlimJet browser, also chromium based, but has automatic RAM optimization built-in.

It's hard to satisfy his need for attention, he will invent some problem if need be.

It's just because I am not good at googling stuff, even though it's easier than posting a topic, also I am just sitting in my room, alone, Don't really need attention right now...