What shall I do with my z77 sabertooth.

I dug out my z77 sabertooth today and thought what can i do with it. I'd like to show it off since no board has ever looked as good to me and I really wanna clean it up and put it to use.

I was going to hackintosh it again which is why it has a i3 3x45 chip due to it using hd4000igpu but I honestly don't mind dropping  300 pounds into making it a beast.

i'd love to repurpose the armour even if I had to hot glue it over a midrange intel board that it would fit on nicely.

I could use chipset fans by using a splitter to a fan header.

Anyone else have a suggestion? I intend to buy 2 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-GT501-Case/dp/B07LCR23L4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=asus+tuf+atx&qid=1582112444&sr=8-4 next month so something to think about.

Attached pics

20200219_122909.jpg

20200219_122439.jpg

20200219_122418.jpg

20200219_122450.jpg

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

2x MSI RX580 Gaming X 8GB

RAM

channel 1 Corsair Vengence LPX  DDR4 2133MHz 2x4GB

channel 2 Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000MHz 2x4GB

Cooler

AMD Wraith Max RGB Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Acer XZ350CU 35" 21:9 Ultrawide

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Logitech 203 Prodigy Wired

Keyboard

Logitech 213 Prodigy Wired

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

got an old GPU? clean it up and run it as a linux folding system

you get to look at it and it gets to run important scientific calculations

Folding system? Never heard that tern before, and whom do these calculations benefit? Government? Scientists? Black ops security firms?  Or cryptominers?

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Keyboard

Just now, yaboistar said:

Medical staff, researchers, cancer patients, alzheimers sufferers

hmm, and doesnt stress the card too much like crypto, i have a 1050ti strix card doing nothing i can put inside it.

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Keyboard

I do that with my Rad VII sometimes and it can top 1 mil PPD, the 970 I have has done over 700,000 before itself when I was using it for folding.

That would be a good use for the board and best of all you don't even have to run a larger chip, any decent CPU that uses lower wattage is fine as long as it's only folding on the GPU itself.

Make sure the case it's in has really good airflow to the card and in general, the GPU will live a long life folding if it's setup correctly. Just be aware it WILL make the powerbill go up a little but it's for a good cause.

I believe ATM the best card for power consumed vs PPD return is the GTX 1060 but the one you have is fine as well.

For rigs setup to fold 24/7 power consumption vs PPD is important, that's why I mentioned the 1060 and that would make a good rig for that purpose if nothing else.

Running SETI is another thing you could use it for if you want, it's similar to folding but for a different purpose.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

well is there a way of controlling what gpu it uses as the psu i have will power 3 gpus and if i fold on the 1050ti i want to be able to use my 1070 for someone else to game with me as my mrs is stuck using  a craptop and i do have a 3770k somehwere in here and a hyper 212evo.

i will stick a pcie m.2 card in the 3rd pcie slot. and maybe nas all ym old 1tb hdds since she can use linux for the games we'll play together on steam.

so 8tb nas/ folding pc or the latter and linux steam gaming pc too.

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Keyboard

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

I do that with my Rad VII sometimes and it can top 1 mil PPD, the 970 I have has done over 700,000 before itself when I was using it for folding.

That would be a good use for the board and best of all you don't even have to run a larger chip, any decent CPU that uses lower wattage is fine as long as it's only folding on the GPU itself.

Make sure the case it's in has really good airflow to the card and in general, the GPU will live a long life folding if it's setup correctly. Just be aware it WILL make the powerbill go up a little but it's for a good cause.

I believe ATM the best card for power consumed vs PPD return is the GTX 1060 but the one you have is fine as well.

For rigs setup to fold 24/7 power consumption vs PPD is important, that's why I mentioned the 1060 and that would make a good rig for that purpose if nothing else.

Running SETI is another thing you could use it for if you want, it's similar to folding but for a different purpose.

if i can seperate my 1070 from the folding program thats a sealed deal.

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Keyboard

You can place two GPU's in the system and have it folding on just one if you want.

Each card takes up a "Slot" and you have to set that up yourself.

The program will by default assign a slot to the CPU but you don't want that, you have to remove that slot and setup one to the GPU you want to use. It's not difficult to do once you figure it out and there is plenty of help available if you need it.

Once a GPU slot is setup you simply start the client, it fetches the work project.... It folds.

Just let it run and.... Done.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

You can place two GPU's in the system and have it folding on just one if you want.

Each card takes up a "Slot" and you have to set that up yourself.

The program will by default assign a slot to the CPU but you don't want that, you have to remove that slot and setup one to the GPU you want to use. It's not difficult to do once you figure it out and there is plenty of help available if you need it.

Once a GPU slot is setup you simply start the client, it fetches the work project.... It folds.

Just let it run and.... Done.

sounds good, recomended linux distro? i prefer a kde style desktop. also what is the fold software. since its a pretty good thing is there any dedicated place to keep up to scratch and read up on this.

i see cryptomining as toxic capitalism. where as folding sounds good foeveryone.

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Keyboard

Unfortunately I'm not "Up" on Linux, I've always done my folding with Windows so I cannot make any suggestions about it.

Linux however is better, more efficient and scores more PPD because of it.

I can do this at least: Start folding – Folding@home

12 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Unfortunately I'm not "Up" on Linux, I've always done my folding with Windows so I cannot make any suggestions about it.

Linux however is better, more efficient and scores more PPD because of it.

I can do this at least: Start folding – Folding@home

OHH see i have annoyances with using windows as a nas. and given the i could stick in 8 2tb hdds use 2 of them as 2 personal drives only i can access. i think linux maybe the best option. tho i bought a 16gb patriot viper 2133mhz PV38G213C1K kit from a friend and they work awesomely. i just want to find a cheap 3770k and i decided to use a 2nd hand r9 380 msi card since i can sell the 1070 buy a another 2 matching 380s and let one of those run the fold. and ive set up my old intel dq77mk board with a 3245 i3 and the 1050 folding right now with the windows version.

since i want to show make it look black af n the case with just the black and gold fans and such i decided ima paint the msi gaming cowling on the cards matt black and use a golden msi decal on the sides  and one on the top cards backplate.

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Keyboard

I know at least Linux does take a little work getting it setup and working but it's more efficient than Windows at least.
Linux Mint is probrably the best one to go with for a folding setup because it has alot of support behind it.

You could just use the 1070 for folding and use any GPU that works for the system itself if you want. A R9 380x isn't that good for folding - I have one and tried it, wasn't that good at all compared to a comparable Nvidia card.

Before making a real move see what the 1050 does, I'd bet you'll run an Nvidia for the other machine too when you compare results vs what a comparable AMD card can do. Again, for the best efficiency vs PPD earned a 1060 is probrably the best overall for that.

I'd also consider using a lower model Ivy for that system, it doesn't need a 3770K chip to work and will help cut down on wattage used by that system.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:29 AM, Beerzerker said:

I know at least Linux does take a little work getting it setup and working but it's more efficient than Windows at least.
Linux Mint is probrably the best one to go with for a folding setup because it has alot of support behind it.

You could just use the 1070 for folding and use any GPU that works for the system itself if you want. A R9 380x isn't that good for folding - I have one and tried it, wasn't that good at all compared to a comparable Nvidia card.

Before making a real move see what the 1050 does, I'd bet you'll run an Nvidia for the other machine too when you compare results vs what a comparable AMD card can do. Again, for the best efficiency vs PPD earned a 1060 is probrably the best overall for that.

I'd also consider using a lower model Ivy for that system, it doesn't need a 3770K chip to work and will help cut down on wattage used by that system.

Powe4 consumption isn't an issue and I've got it running as a nas/folder in a Walla mounted case though it's not wall mounted just yet. I intend to mount both my Asus tuf armoured mobos on the wall above my tripple screen setup. Which the a 2060 fe pulls 60 fps in most everything at 7680x1080.

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler