How Wifi router get internet ?

Coolday

In my area we use only phone wired router but how wifi router get internet from ISP ?

3 minutes ago, Meowcat285 said:

It probally uses a technology known as DSL, which allows for internet connectevity via the phone line, I recomend reading up on it here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line) if you are interested.

No not phone router my question is about wifi routers like this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-AC6-AC1200-Wireless-Router/dp/B06X1CHFJ5

In abstract terms: Any data transmission technology. Could be fibre cable, DSL over phone line, Satellite and so on.

Heck there are people who built an IPoverSMS wrapper so everything is possible as long as you can transmit digital data.

2 minutes ago, Coolday said:

No not phone router my question is about wifi routers like this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-AC6-AC1200-Wireless-Router/dp/B06X1CHFJ5

Normally they use one RJ45/Ethernet port for as outgoing connection (From/To an external Modem). Some devices also could use mobile data or connect to another wifi spot.

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.

You plug a third-party wifi router into the modem/router from your service provider.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

You need to plug an ethernet cable into the router.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

can you guys tell me which port I connect incoming internet in wifi router  ? 

You need a modem router, not just a router. A modem router will have the telephone socket (RJ9 connection) and then the new unit is both the modem and router. 

If you buy just a router, you'd put your existing modem / router into modem only mode, connect one or your LAN ports from that into the WAN port of the new unit and you're good. 

It's always better to get one with both the modem and router built in as they will be of a better quality than Jerry rigging something together. 

9 minutes ago, mikestrong88 said:

You need a modem router, not just a router. A modem router will have the telephone socket (RJ9 connection) and then the new unit is both the modem and router. 

If you buy just a router, you'd put your existing modem / router into modem only mode, connect one or your LAN ports from that into the WAN port of the new unit and you're good. 

It's always better to get one with both the modem and router built in as they will be of a better quality than Jerry rigging something together. 

You dont require a modem router, You can buy a seperate modem and a seperate router. Many peoples opinions tend to say Modem/Routers or Gateways are shit in many cases. Seperate is always better in terms of being able to troubleshoot and upgrades are easier. Because most of the time the modem generally doesnt need to be upgraded, Ive had my SB6141 for over 5 years, its been paid off and saving me money. Ive replace the router at least once during this modems life and could very well do it a second time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You dont require a modem router, You can buy a seperate modem and a seperate router. Many peoples opinions tend to say Modem/Routers or Gateways are shit in many cases. Seperate is always better in terms of being able to troubleshoot and upgrades are easier. Because most of the time the modem generally doesnt need to be upgraded, Ive had my SB6141 for over 5 years, its been paid off and saving me money. Ive replace the router at least once during this modems life and could very well do it a second time. 

Is this over A/VDSL? Here in the UK I've never known there to be modems and routers seperate. They tend to come in an ISP singular unit and they are shite yeah. 

I personally have FTTP which has an NTE modem that you can't change sadly as its full fibre, but in the past I've always know A/VDSL routers to come together here in the UK so not sure if it's the same where the OP is. Unless I'm totally wrong ? 

2 minutes ago, mikestrong88 said:

end to come in an ISP singular unit and they are shite yeah

US Federal Law dictates we can buy our own. Also, DSL is a dead techniology, only the unlucky of us have to use it. I for one have cable internet (coax), much better than DSL. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

US Federal Law dictates we can buy our own. Also, DSL is a dead techniology, only the unlucky of us have to use it. I for one have cable internet (coax), much better than DSL. 

I agree but sadly its still very much the norm in the UK. 95% of broadband is delivered over a PSTN telephone here, with FTTC being the dominant product. I actually work for a large telecoms company and the average UK speed for Internet on the public network is...... 50mb!!

Unless you have FTTP, the max you can get is 80mb and you're lucky to get that. Only a very small % of the UK (under 5%) can have FTTP too, so I got lucky. Sadly the pricing on the faster 330mb is stopping me from going for it at the moment. Hopefully prices fall soon. 

On 2/19/2020 at 10:53 PM, mikestrong88 said:

Actually the complete opposite is true, combined modem/routers are often vastly inferior to using a modem and separate router.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:19 PM, Donut417 said:

DSL is far from dead, in the UK VDSL/g.FAST is often better than cable, because each line has its own dedicated bandwidth so you're only contending with the neighbours on the backhaul (which can be upgraded relatively easily) not the connection to the house (which cannot).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 2/19/2020 at 11:22 PM, mikestrong88 said:

Unless you have FTTP, the max you can get is 80mb and you're lucky to get that. Only a very small % of the UK (under 5%) can have FTTP too, so I got lucky. Sadly the pricing on the faster 330mb is stopping me from going for it at the moment. Hopefully prices fall soon. 

Actually according to Think Broadband, the UK now has 12% full fibre coverage and rising fairly rapidly.   Speed up to Gigabit will be available from the end of March on the BT/Openreach FTTP service.

There is also g.FAST too in some areas, another form of DSL that can deliver up to 330Mbit if you are under around 250m from the cabinet.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

DSL is far from dead, in the UK VDSL/g.FAST is often better than cable, because each line has its own dedicated bandwidth so you're only contending with the neighbours on the backhaul (which can be upgraded relatively easily) not the connection to the house (which cannot).

Well here in the US generally its the slowest connection out there, shit in many areas , LTE is faster. AT&T does a max of 18 Mbps in my area. Comcast (coax) 1Gbps down, 45 Mbps up. Also DSL has too much distance limitations compared to cable co's. Yeah there are standards for fast DSL if your fucking right next to the god damn co, but if your a bit of a ways away it cant do shit. Im probably 2 or 3 miles from the co, AT&T when they offered service to my address back in the day, they could only do 6 Mbps. Im not in the country, Im in the middle of the Detroit Metro area. DSL in the US is really reserved for rural areas where they provide 3 Mbps DSL to people who have litterally no option for anything else besides LTE and Satelite. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Well here in the US generally its the slowest connection out there, shit in many areas , LTE is faster. AT&T does a max of 18 Mbps in my area. Comcast (coax) 1Gbps down, 45 Mbps up. Also DSL has too much distance limitations compared to cable co's. Yeah there are standards for fast DSL if your fucking right next to the god damn co, but if your a bit of a ways away it cant do shit. Im probably 2 or 3 miles from the co, AT&T when they offered service to my address back in the day, they could only do 6 Mbps. Im not in the country, Im in the middle of the Detroit Metro area. DSL in the US is really reserved for rural areas where they provide 3 Mbps DSL to people who have litterally no option for anything else besides LTE and Satelite.

Thats understandable as many states have the population spread much wider than the UK, so the distance to the exchange is much further and not economically viable to run fibre over such long distances to place a VDSL cabinet for relatively few customers.

Even in the UK, rural areas have poor ADSL service for this reason.

But to say DSL is dead is not accurate as it encompasses a lot of technogies attempting to reduce the cost of running broadband to places where building pure fibre is still too costly but telephone lines already exist.

Sadly the US is particularly bad as the government have blocked competition so its not in the telcos interest to spend money on upgrading.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

But to say DSL is dead is not accurate as it encompasses a lot of technogies attempting to reduce the cost of running broadband to places where building pure fibre is still too costly but telephone lines already exist.

Max Ive seen you can do on VDSL is like 100 Mbps. Coax can do Gigabit and Fiber can do much faster than that, if you have the coin to pay for it. Also consider the fact that our phone lines were put on the poles over 100 years ago, many are in need of replacement and the teleco's dont want to replace it. Either area get updated to Fiber, or they do like Verizon has done and sold unwanted areas to companies like Frontier who are on the edge of going out of business. DSL pretty much died when Docsis was able to push Gigabit over Coax because DSL will NEVER be able to do that at the distance that Coax and Fiber can. 

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Sadly the US is particularly bad as the government have blocked competition so its not in the telcos interest to spend money on upgrading

The Teleco' are upgrading areas where they can get a good ROI. AT&T does offer Fiber in quite a few areas, Verizon also offers Fiber in like 13 states. The fact of the matter is they are getting ready to throw their copper away. Verizon found that they get a better ROI on LTE vs Fiber and Copper. So Verizon started focusing more on LTE and other wireless services and less on their wired broadband. Competition wasnt blocked, more like the major providers got together, carved out territories and agreed to no compete in most areas and set aside a few areas where they act like they are competeing. 

23 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The Teleco' are upgrading areas where they can get a good ROI. AT&T does offer Fiber in quite a few areas, Verizon also offers Fiber in like 13 states. The fact of the matter is they are getting ready to throw their copper away. Verizon found that they get a better ROI on LTE vs Fiber and Copper. So Verizon started focusing more on LTE and other wireless services and less on their wired broadband. Competition wasnt blocked, more like the major providers got together, carved out territories and agreed to no compete in most areas and set aside a few areas where they act like they are competeing. 

Which is basically collusion and goes hand in hand with price fixing.

They did have government help though, as they are trying to stop community/state broadband initiatives.

i am sure the OP has buggered off already since it appears that all the answers given were off topic for some reason and then went onto discussions of service providers and equipment regulations and other WTF'ery.

BUT just in case... Your "phone router" is probably DSL and it SHOULD have an ethernet jack on it. You plug a cable into that (probably one that came with your new router) and you plug the other end of that wire into the "WAN" port on the new wireless unit. Most manufacturers will color the WAN port either yellow or red to make it look different from the standard ethernet jacks on there. Then you configure the new router following the instructions in the box for setup. Bingo! You now have wireless.

Hope that helped...6 days later