gtx 970

scoobydoo10uk2000

Any help would be apreciated. I presently have a zotac gtx970 in my pc  intel i5 4670 16gb ddr3 1600 . Also have a corsair rm850 psu. I want to sli another gtx970 with the one i have. Can i use any brand of gtx970 or does it need to be a zotac. My daughter is getting me one for my birthday in march so any help to best advise her (and me) would be gratefull. 

2 minutes ago, scoobydoo10uk2000 said:

Can i use any brand of gtx970 or does it need to be a zotac. 

It can be any brand of GTX 970

But keep in mind not all programs/games will support SLI and some even tend to perform worse using SLI. So do research if SLI/another card makes sense for you, or if selling the current card and getting a newer faster card isn't better.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

34 minutes ago, scoobydoo10uk2000 said:

Any help would be apreciated. I presently have a zotac gtx970 in my pc  intel i5 4670 16gb ddr3 1600 . Also have a corsair rm850 psu. I want to sli another gtx970 with the one i have. Can i use any brand of gtx970 or does it need to be a zotac. My daughter is getting me one for my birthday in march so any help to best advise her (and me) would be gratefull. 

I'd really sell the card and get a 1080 or better with the help of your daughter. The 970 makes no sense in SLI nowadays, specially due to its vram constraints (3.5gb fast vram, not 4gb as advertised).

As good as the 970 was for it's time, SLIing it won't net you good results for most modern titles. It would be better to sell it as others suggested and buy a better single card solution. 

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

GPU: EVGA GTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Thanks all. My daughter was getting the gtx970 for £95 from CEX.  A 1080 is way out our budget. Apreciate all your help

A cheap GPU thats powerful is always nice.

But SLI and Crossfire went the way of the DODO.

DualGPU Gaming is dead because no one wants bad press anymore and it was never sorted to work properly as a 'Standard'.

Frametime spikes are blatant,..and dodgey frame delivery timing makes 120fps in Dualgpu feel much like slower/shifty 45fps feels in frame delivery.

Be FAIR warned trying this TODAY.

Hardly any games will even utilize the second GPU properly, if at all.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz