Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quantzer

SATA SSD as external storage?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So basically I am asking, could an internal SSD be used as an external storage with converting case(or however that is called), without any drivers just as plug and play solution?? If yes, what are the pros and cons of using it over a dedicated external drive?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quantzer said:

So basically I am asking, could an internal SSD be used as an external storage with converting case(or however that is called), without any drivers just as plug and play solution??

yes.

1 minute ago, Quantzer said:

If yes, what are the pros and cons of using it over a dedicated external drive?

I assume I have to compare it to an external SSD?

Becuase in that case:

Pro: price (external SSD's just tend to be expensive)

Con: 'normal SSD' is larger (unless you get an M.2 and M.2 to USB) and often times the adapters don't come with USB type C cables


"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 hours ago, minibois said:

yes.

I assume I have to compare it to an external SSD?

Becuase in that case:

Pro: price (external SSD's just tend to be expensive)

Con: 'normal SSD' is larger (unless you get an M.2 and M.2 to USB) and often times the adapters don't come with USB type C cables

Cool! Thanks a lot my dude!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can put SSDs in external enclosures (I have several I have done that with plus twenty bare SSDs I use externally with docks) but keep in mind that SSDs will slowly lose the charge that hold their data oiver time, resulting in data loss, so you have to power them up every so often to maintain that charge. How often depends on the kind of SSD, it's age, how full it is, how hot is is in storage, the phase of the moon, etc. Generally, refreshing once a year will probably be safe but, being the paranoid old broad I am, I refresh mine no less than once a month (they are all backup drives and just normally powering up the drives and updating the backups does the job).


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×