Windows File Moving - Why is it so slow?

Underfire17

So lately I've noticed that my computer is wanting to take its time moving files from one folder into another. It stays at the time remaining box for a good minute and then decides that it wants to move the file. It's super annoying since I'm working on mods, and they require texture files for its items, so you can kinda tell how annoying it can get.

Get an SSD?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Could be early warning for HDD getting bad. Since the calculating time is Windows preparing the move. If you get issues where folders content is loading too long, thats another good sign.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It'' take MUCH MUCH MUCH longer for 1000000 (small or otherwise) files to be moved than 1000 (in Preparation time)
Seems common sense,.. but Windows certainly want's to count everything first.

Even with the fastest SSD, it can only seek through the drive (counting) as fast as the weakast link... (IOPS or /1Thread on CPU usageMaxed / pick your poison)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 2/19/2020 at 1:50 PM, LogicalDrm said:

Could be early warning for HDD getting bad. Since the calculating time is Windows preparing the move. If you get issues where folders content is loading too long, thats another good sign.

It's not an HDD though. I actually ripped my SSD from a computer that was barely used so it should still be relatively new. 

On 2/19/2020 at 2:29 PM, SkilledRebuilds said:

It'' take MUCH MUCH MUCH longer for 1000000 (small or otherwise) files to be moved than 1000 (in Preparation time)
Seems common sense,.. but Windows certainly want's to count everything first.

Even with the fastest SSD, it can only seek through the drive (counting) as fast as the weakast link... (IOPS or /1Thread on CPU usageMaxed / pick your poison)

Ah! That makes sense. Maybe I should Zip my files before moving them then next time. Thanks for that input.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:37 AM, Enderman said:

Get an SSD?

I have an SSD though. Samsung 870 Evo infact.

On 2/19/2020 at 1:56 PM, homeap5 said:

On the same partition and the same drive?

Anyway, if it's only single file, then something is wrong. Probably with drive as @LogicalDrm said.

Yeah, it's in that same partition and drive. I am kinda tempted to leave Windows, I just need to get a 1 TB SSD before I do that though.