Which CPU should I get? Ryzen 3900x or i9 9900k

Tobal245

Im starting a new build and I choose all the parts minus the motherboard thats going to depend in which cpu I get.

So I was hoping some one here could help me with that also my 2 motherboard choices are the Rog Crosshair or Maximus Formula.

Thank you

5 minutes ago, Tobal245 said:

Im starting a new build and I choose all the parts minus the motherboard thats going to depend in which cpu I get.

So I was hoping some one here could help me with that also my 2 motherboard choices are the Rog Crosshair or Maximus Formula.

Thank you

If you are trying to get the utmost gaming performance, go with the 9900k, as it is the second best gaming chip on the market after the 9900ks. If you are planning to do anything else with the rig, the 3900x is a more powerful chip for workstation and productivity by about 15%. The 3900x also scores 8th for gaming anyway, and so it’s gaming performance would look close to identical to that of the 9900k. Unless you really need the extra couple frames and are doing hardcore gaming, go with the 3900x (also it’s 100$ cheaper).

hope this helped!

What are your other PC specs, especially GPU and display, and\or total budget ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 minutes ago, Tobal245 said:

Thank you

as a crosshair viii formula owner I would advise you to get the hero variant of the board. You can get a mono-block from EK to cool the vrm and cpu, leaving the only difference as the network interface. If you need 5 gigabit that bad throw in a network card, probably be better since you can choose your network chipset.

The board can be a bit finicky while posting during memory overclocking, just something to keep in mind. auto SoC voltage was too high for me so it would get stuck in post a lot

It depends on what you plan on doing the most, both cpus are strong in different areas.

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

3900X is $470. 9900K is $550 ($80 more). The 9900K is only slightly more powerful for single threaded applications, however the 3900X dominates it for anything capable of using more than 16 threads.

If you overclock the 9900K, the gap grows a little more, but keep in mind you're looking at over 200W of power draw with it under heavy loads, and even higher if overclocked.

Spoiler

tdauREAwqYvHhsTjDHesSH-970-80.png

3SxoStnyPZTQanvnT3S7Db-970-80.png

The 3900X on the other hand tops out around 150W of power draw.

Spoiler

3yBUKu5yiR7f48jRk6zBZf-970-80.png

v2sWLAuSWtw9yjNgREioE-970-80.png

(PBO = Precision Boost Overdrive)

With that added power draw, you're also going to have a ton more heat to deal with.

$80 less for 50-100W less power consumption and better (multi-threaded) performance? The 3900X sounds like a great deal to me.

I'd go with the 3900X without question.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 hours ago, Quadrum said:

If you are trying to get the utmost gaming performance, go with the 9900k, as it is the second best gaming chip on the market after the 9900ks. If you are planning to do anything else with the rig, the 3900x is a more powerful chip for workstation and productivity by about 15%. The 3900x also scores 8th for gaming anyway, and so it’s gaming performance would look close to identical to that of the 9900k. Unless you really need the extra couple frames and are doing hardcore gaming, go with the 3900x (also it’s 100$ cheaper).

hope this helped!

Sorry I took so long so I would get the 9900ks for gaming and the 3900x for any other thing also I found that if you get a AMD motherboard you get some other benefits and also where I live they cost almost the same

3 hours ago, Juular said:

What are your other PC specs, especially GPU and display, and\or total budget ?

A 2080ti probably 4k 144hz budget like 5 - 6k

2 hours ago, TheKDub said:

3900X is $470. 9900K is $550 ($80 more). The 9900K is only slightly more powerful for single threaded applications, however the 3900X dominates it for anything capable of using more than 16 threads.

If you overclock the 9900K, the gap grows a little more, but keep in mind you're looking at over 200W of power draw with it under heavy loads, and even higher if overclocked.

Reveal hidden contents

tdauREAwqYvHhsTjDHesSH-970-80.png

3SxoStnyPZTQanvnT3S7Db-970-80.png

The 3900X on the other hand tops out around 150W of power draw.

Reveal hidden contents

3yBUKu5yiR7f48jRk6zBZf-970-80.png

v2sWLAuSWtw9yjNgREioE-970-80.png

(PBO = Precision Boost Overdrive)

With that added power draw, you're also going to have a ton more heat to deal with.

$80 less for 50-100W less power consumption and better (multi-threaded) performance? The 3900X sounds like a great deal to me.

I'd go with the 3900X without question.

So for anything thats not gaming you get the 3900x but for gaming the 9900k or ks also do you think it is worth it 2 wait for the next generation?

2 minutes ago, Tobal245 said:

So for anything thats not gaming you get the 3900x but for gaming the 9900k or ks also do you think it is worth it 2 wait for the next generation?

I'd go with the 3900X regardless. The 9900K isn't worth the extra $80 (+ however much more for an adequate cooler, which will be probably at least another $90) for maybe a few extra FPS.

Next gen Ryzen probably won't be here until late this year, so I wouldn't bother waiting unless you don't really need the PC until close to next year.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

48 minutes ago, bomerr said:

wait for 10900k

Ok cause I can wait 1 year

5 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I'd go with the 3900X regardless. The 9900K isn't worth the extra $80 (+ however much more for an adequate cooler, which will be probably at least another $90) for maybe a few extra FPS.

Next gen Ryzen probably won't be here until late this year, so I wouldn't bother waiting unless you don't really need the PC until close to next year.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Well, with this budget it's i9 9900K, why not. But the difference even with R5 3600 would be very minimal at 4k :

relative-performance-games-38410-2160.pn

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900ks/16.html

So ryzen technicly better?

So I get the ryzen or wait for the next gen?

17 minutes ago, Tobal245 said:

Ok cause I can wait 1 year

isn't it coming out in a few months? https://www.windowscentral.com/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-desktop-cpus-available-chinese-site-ahead-official-debut

Intel's line of Comet Lake processors is rumored to come out in April of this year. The listing that popped up could indicate that the chips are close to release, though that's only speculation.

1 hour ago, Tobal245 said:

Idk im just saying what I heard you probably know better

the 3900x is a gaming beast intel only released the 9900k to try to up show amd and it failed big time

For gaming people often overstate the importance of the cpu, buying 8+ cores with 16+ threads  while it's not necessary - as long as it's cores itself are fast. At 4k the difference between a high clocked $150 cpu compared to the 9900K/9900KS is very low. But hey, it's build for the future, I guess - but thinking of dx12 the future may have a different prospect: a sli/crossfire revival where the tasks can be utilised on the graphics-cards available to the system. 

21 hours ago, Tobal245 said:

So I get the ryzen or wait for the next gen?

On 2/18/2020 at 8:21 PM, TheKDub said:

If you can wait until close to next year before building the PC, then I'd wait for next gen Ryzen. Otherwise, don't bother waiting and just go with 3rd gen Ryzen.

2 hours ago, TheKDub said:

If you can wait until close to next year before building the PC, then I'd wait for next gen Ryzen. Otherwise, don't bother waiting and just go with 3rd gen Ryzen.

Soo i wait