Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maizenblue

Does Dpc latency affect pc gaming?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Ive seen conflicting information on whether dpc latency can cause microstuttering or fps drops or whether it strictly affects audio. 
 

Askin because the aorus pro z390 has an apparent reputation for high dpc latency. If it just affects audio im not super concerned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It...can. It depends on how much latency and how many CPU interrupts are generated. Needless to say, you should be fine.


CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Archer20 said:

It...can. It depends on how much latency and how many CPU interrupts are generated. Needless to say, you should be fine.

The games im worried about are battlefield 1 and v. Again ive seen conflicting info on whether it can be an issue and affect smoothness in these games, and this specific mobo has been mentioned. With some mentioning its unusually high latency which has been shown in reviews that checked it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

The games im worried about are battlefield 1 and v. Again ive seen conflicting info on whether it can be an issue and affect smoothness in these games, and this specific mobo has been mentioned. With some mentioning its unusually high latency which has been shown in reviews that checked it. 

It's highly dependent on the game, as you've ascertained. CPU dependent games will suffer much more. Battlefield is a CPU dependent game for sure. I've seen high interrupts/DPC latency cause microstutter, but it was induced by Corsair Cue 2 for the RGB lighting. I've also seen malfunctioning USB devices cause the same stutter by slamming the CPU with interrupts.


CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Archer20 said:

It's highly dependent on the game, as you've ascertained. CPU dependent games will suffer much more. Battlefield is a CPU dependent game for sure. I've seen high interrupts/DPC latency cause microstutter, but it was induced by Corsair Cue 2 for the RGB lighting. I've also seen malfunctioning USB devices cause the same stutter by slamming the CPU with interrupts.

I might take a pass on that mobo then. My entire reason for upgrading my cpu is to avoid stuttering issues ive run into. 
 

Bummer, because the only other good non gigabyte z390 mobo with suffient vrm’s is 70-100 dollars more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maizenblue said:

I might take a pass on that mobo then. My entire reason for upgrading my cpu is to avoid stuttering issues ive run into. 
 

Bummer, because the only other good non gigabyte z390 mobo with suffient vrm’s is 70-100 dollars more. 

Personally, I would only recommend ASUS and ASrock boards. MSI and Gigabyte I've seen way too many issues with.


CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Archer20 said:

Personally, I would only recommend ASUS and ASrock boards. MSI and Gigabyte I've seen way too many issues with.

The alternative would be a strix z390 e at 70 dollars more and a maximus hero at 100 more. 
 

i wonder why gigabytes 390s have such high dpc latency in tests. Is it a bios issue, driver issue, ram latency issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maizenblue said:

The alternative would be a strix z390 e at 70 dollars more and a maximus hero at 100 more. 
 

i wonder why gigabytes 390s have such high dpc latency in tests. Is it a bios issue, driver issue, ram latency issue?

I'd have to do some research. It could be any number of things. Anything from hardware, to firmware, to software can cause high DPC. It may be the firmware(BIOS) on the board or the way components are configured on it. RAM latency is different, as is cache latency.


CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Archer20 said:

I'd have to do some research. It could be any number of things. Anything from hardware, to firmware, to software can cause high DPC. It may be the firmware(BIOS) on the board or the way components are configured on it. RAM latency is different, as is cache latency.

I just went with the maximus hero. So im covered. Just gotta work an extra ot shift to pay for the thing. On top of a few ot shifts to pay for the 9900k lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

I just went with the maximus hero. So im covered. Just gotta work an extra ot shift to pay for the thing. On top of a few ot shifts to pay for the 9900k lol

Maximus hero has always been a great choice! Congrats!. It will be worth it for the peace of mind :)


CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×