Does Dpc latency affect pc gaming?

maizenblue

Ive seen conflicting information on whether dpc latency can cause microstuttering or fps drops or whether it strictly affects audio. 

Askin because the aorus pro z390 has an apparent reputation for high dpc latency. If it just affects audio im not super concerned. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

It...can. It depends on how much latency and how many CPU interrupts are generated. Needless to say, you should be fine.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

GPU: EVGA GTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

8 minutes ago, Archer20 said:

It...can. It depends on how much latency and how many CPU interrupts are generated. Needless to say, you should be fine.

The games im worried about are battlefield 1 and v. Again ive seen conflicting info on whether it can be an issue and affect smoothness in these games, and this specific mobo has been mentioned. With some mentioning its unusually high latency which has been shown in reviews that checked it. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

6 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

The games im worried about are battlefield 1 and v. Again ive seen conflicting info on whether it can be an issue and affect smoothness in these games, and this specific mobo has been mentioned. With some mentioning its unusually high latency which has been shown in reviews that checked it. 

It's highly dependent on the game, as you've ascertained. CPU dependent games will suffer much more. Battlefield is a CPU dependent game for sure. I've seen high interrupts/DPC latency cause microstutter, but it was induced by Corsair Cue 2 for the RGB lighting. I've also seen malfunctioning USB devices cause the same stutter by slamming the CPU with interrupts.

6 minutes ago, Archer20 said:

It's highly dependent on the game, as you've ascertained. CPU dependent games will suffer much more. Battlefield is a CPU dependent game for sure. I've seen high interrupts/DPC latency cause microstutter, but it was induced by Corsair Cue 2 for the RGB lighting. I've also seen malfunctioning USB devices cause the same stutter by slamming the CPU with interrupts.

I might take a pass on that mobo then. My entire reason for upgrading my cpu is to avoid stuttering issues ive run into. 

Bummer, because the only other good non gigabyte z390 mobo with suffient vrm’s is 70-100 dollars more. 

1 minute ago, maizenblue said:

I might take a pass on that mobo then. My entire reason for upgrading my cpu is to avoid stuttering issues ive run into. 

Bummer, because the only other good non gigabyte z390 mobo with suffient vrm’s is 70-100 dollars more. 

Personally, I would only recommend ASUS and ASrock boards. MSI and Gigabyte I've seen way too many issues with.

3 minutes ago, Archer20 said:

Personally, I would only recommend ASUS and ASrock boards. MSI and Gigabyte I've seen way too many issues with.

The alternative would be a strix z390 e at 70 dollars more and a maximus hero at 100 more. 

i wonder why gigabytes 390s have such high dpc latency in tests. Is it a bios issue, driver issue, ram latency issue?

1 minute ago, maizenblue said:

The alternative would be a strix z390 e at 70 dollars more and a maximus hero at 100 more. 

i wonder why gigabytes 390s have such high dpc latency in tests. Is it a bios issue, driver issue, ram latency issue?

I'd have to do some research. It could be any number of things. Anything from hardware, to firmware, to software can cause high DPC. It may be the firmware(BIOS) on the board or the way components are configured on it. RAM latency is different, as is cache latency.

3 hours ago, Archer20 said:

I'd have to do some research. It could be any number of things. Anything from hardware, to firmware, to software can cause high DPC. It may be the firmware(BIOS) on the board or the way components are configured on it. RAM latency is different, as is cache latency.

I just went with the maximus hero. So im covered. Just gotta work an extra ot shift to pay for the thing. On top of a few ot shifts to pay for the 9900k lol

31 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

I just went with the maximus hero. So im covered. Just gotta work an extra ot shift to pay for the thing. On top of a few ot shifts to pay for the 9900k lol

Maximus hero has always been a great choice! Congrats!. It will be worth it for the peace of mind :)