Unraid Server Turning itself off

Stoigeboiii

I've tried to ask this question before but I've come back with more detail. 

I'm on the newest version of unraid. I'm using a Ryzen 7 1700 with 16gb on an Asus b350m board [https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x7gBzN I had to guess the motherboard, ram, and power-supply (I'm not home right now)]. I'm using the wraith cooler included from a 3900x that was used in another system. The system remains on just seems the OS gives up, like the CPU fan is still going and when I turn on the screen of the machine it's just black no text. This also means I can't access it on the web. I only have 2 dockers Pritnul and Plex but this was happening before I installed them. 

It might be because I'm not using a good USB. I just had one lying around that was an off brand 16gb USB 2.0 stick. I can try changing it but I'm not sure how to move data from my old USB to my new one. Also one of my hard drives is having a thumbs down on the SMART check. I'm not sure if that'd be an issue. 

At first I was receiving some hardware errors when I'd boot the system in the log but those seemed to go away. I also thought the Temperature was making it shutdown but I have no evidence and the temperatures seemed normal when I was monitoring it. 

Second thing is that I thought it could be my power-supply. I haven't tested this one but I'm using a 350 watt power-supply however I'm not sure that this would cause this error since the CPU fan and LED are still going. And I'm well below the power-usage for this system. 

I thought it might be that the motherboard was overclocking everything but when I checked the bios it didn't seem like it was overclocked. 

Last time I worked on it, it only lasted 2 hours and 30 minutes before going offline. 

I tried to do some self-diagnosis, I haven't update the bios. If there are any steps you think I should take to find the issue that'd be helpful (I'm fairly new to unraid)? Also if there are any fixes I can try that'd be amazing. I hope I provided enough information I'm not sure if I did. 

One way of isolating any OS issue is to use a separate disk with a different OS on it, boot from that and see if it's stable over a prolonged period of time. If the system shuts down, it's a hardware issue. Separate disk could also be a Linux Live CD, like Knoppix, SysRescueCD or regular distro's like Mint, Devuan or Ubuntu via an optical drive (CD-ROM, DVD).

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

8 hours ago, Stoigeboiii said:

It might be because I'm not using a good USB. I just had one lying around that was an off brand 16gb USB 2.0 stick. I can try changing it but I'm not sure how to move data from my old USB to my new one. Also one of my hard drives is having a thumbs down on the SMART check. I'm not sure if that'd be an issue. 

UnRAID runs in system memory after it boots from USB, so shouldn't be a problem. 

At first I was receiving some hardware errors when I'd boot the system in the log but those seemed to go away. I also thought the Temperature was making it shutdown but I have no evidence and the temperatures seemed normal when I was monitoring it. 

What are the errors? Can you open an SSH/Terminal window, and run the below commands and pastebin the output

dmesg
journalctl -xe

Second thing is that I thought it could be my power-supply. I haven't tested this one but I'm using a 350 watt power-supply however I'm not sure that this would cause this error since the CPU fan and LED are still going. And I'm well below the power-usage for this system. 

A bad PSU with a faulty rail could easily cause instability. Could be the cause of the issue possibly. 

I thought it might be that the motherboard was overclocking everything but when I checked the bios it didn't seem like it was overclocked. 

You could always reset the BIOS. Also check you dont have any memory XMP overclocking set, just have it run at stock frequency (2133Mhz off memory)

I tried to do some self-diagnosis, I haven't update the bios. If there are any steps you think I should take to find the issue that'd be helpful (I'm fairly new to unraid)? Also if there are any fixes I can try that'd be amazing. I hope I provided enough information I'm not sure if I did. 

If you do have a newer BIOS you should update, as with the first gen Ryzen's it could be microcode related. Make sure you have the latest Bios supported by your CPU

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA